Spys like us...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jan 23, 2005.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Little-to-no Congressional oversight...use of "notorious" figures...direct control by Sec. of Defense...little budgetary accountability...

uh-oh.

Kinda makes the new post of Intelligence Tzar a little superflous, doesn't it?

OTOH, if something like this prevents any more full-scale wars like Iraq, and is actually useful (which it might be), then I might look upon it more charitably. In dealing with ruthless/unscrupulous types, you do have to be sufficiently ruthless to be effective, something Liberal Democracies don't really jive with, so maybe my sensibilities are getting in the way of pragmatism.

Nevertheless, considering the context of this Administration and it's track-record and attitudes, I am not optimistic.

What say you?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29414-2005Jan22.html

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i say it's another example of this administration's power grab. seriously, they're drunk on it.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I say there's almost unlimited scope for Iran-Contra type skulduggery, unwarranted interference in foreign countries (how long does Chavez have?) and distasteful alliances. Just the kind of thing which has bedevilled US foreign policy for decades, but now with legal cover. Plus ça change...

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, I saw that in the morning paper today. Creepy stuff. Almost certainly unconstitutional as well.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The Constitution can be remarkably accommodating.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Those older clandestine groups used to be secret. They have Congressional oversight because the powers they had were abused. These new secret groups will be no different.

Just as conservatives like to argue that the most well-intentioned social programs will be abused, so will this government program. Human nature being what it is and all...