Spyware and popups

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by masterjedi73, Feb 7, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I was watching a report on CNN a few minutes ago and they were talking about spyware. They only mentioned remedies for windoze machines, though. Can macs be infected with spyware, and what is the best way to get rid of it? Also, is there a good popup blocker for mac?

thanks!

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Safari will block pop-ups. I've never heard a single report of spyware on the Mac. 5% market share is a good thing.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yup havent heard of spyware on the mac yet. thankfully.

4. laserbeahm macrumors member

One of the great things about OS X is that it always asks for an administrative password before any software can be installed. On Windows machines, spyware often gets installed behind people's backs. All the more reason to use a Mac.

5. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

hobbes3113

The only spyware that I have ever encountered on my Mac is when my girlfriend looks over my shoulder.

6. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Nice. That's what I was thinking...i just wasn't sure. I've only owned a mac for 2 weeks.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It would probably be fairly trivial to write a cross-platform piece of spyware using something like Java. There would be some thought necessary regarding how to get it sneakily running on the various OSes, but I'm sure a determined sneak could do it. :)

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

But then we could just check top or Activity Monitor and see something running that shouldn't be, kill it, then find and delete it.

9. jasylonian macrumors regular

unfortunately, i have no idea what half the things on my activity monitor are:(

10. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    look in your applications folder, then subfolder utilities

it shoudl be there Activity Monitor, its like the window you get when u hit control alt del on a pc, shows u whats running, ram usage etc

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

be careful you don't quit some things though. once i did it, and i accidentally logged out all of the users with one button:p

13. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well one of the biggest gaping security holes is in the most-used browser in the world-IE.

Unfortunately, M$ likes to leave everything wide open, security level set fairly low, oh and of course, the famous ActiveX holes.

Since i consider Safari to be the Mac equivalent of a Mozilla Firebird of sorts, these holes don't even exist.

For those of you who haven't used it before, here's one of the biggest reasons i use SpyBot:S&D:

[​IMG]

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Been there, done that :D