spyware on itunes????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kwajo.com, Aug 3, 2004.

1. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

okay so i can't find it searching, but i know it's been discussed before. does iTunes for windows contain anything that could be considered spyware. I got in a debate today over someone who didn't like that i installed iTunes on a friend's computer, they said it was full of spyware, and i was acting sure that apple wouldn't do that, but I don't actually know for sure. so i'm just checking to make sure i'm right on this one. lol

2. jdogg707 macrumors regular

I have never noticed any Spyware on iTunes and neither have the two most popular detection utilities, Adaware 6 and Spybot Search and Destroy.

3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

reminds i got into an argument with a guy who got mad because i installed AIM on his computer... he said he would have to spend the whole next day reinstalling windows and hope that his hardware wasn't damaged...

i mean, come on? how arrogant can ya get?

reality

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

iTunes does not do anything with spyware. AOL is another story altogether. A few years back my grandfather wound up paying for 8 months of AOL simply because he could not figure out how to cancel the service or get all of it off his computer. :eek:

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Haha:

Windoze-guys who find it "damaging" to install NON-Micro$$oft products like AIM or iTunes.....

Amusing. :D

6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

They're probably confusing iTunes with Kaaza, which IS full of spyware. iTunes contains no spyware whatsoever (well, unless you count Apple keeping track of computer authorizations and what you buy).

7. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Under the mac version, Little snitch only reports connection requests to open a radio stream, access the music store, access the CDDB, and check the version. That's it. If the PC version is an exact port like they say it is, well then it should be the same.

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Typical computer discussion actually. Your friend was making statements based on what he's heard and you were defending your actions based on assumptions. This is how all those Mac myths stay alive.

There's a really good way to settle arguments like this: With evidence.

You happened to be right in this case, but try to avoid making arguments based on heresay or assumptions. When you're wrong you'll look really stupid, and that's not fun.

9. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

that's good to hear guys. mainly cause it turns out i wasn't crazy in imagining that i had read correctly before. i'm glad iTunes is safe

10. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I like it when I'm asked to fix a computer, download and install Adaware in front of them, and they freak out because they heard about "Adware."

It's good that people are becoming paranoid about downloading new programs, but it's time for them to learn how to use google and the like to learn what's safe.