Spyware or malware on my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GanChan, Jan 14, 2007.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

I was surfing the Web today when I noticed that Camino seemed to be hanging or stuck on a page. I opened the Finder window and just happened to notice, next to my usual HD, Network, and external drive icons, an unfamiliar iMac-style icon called "[my name]'s Computer," clicking on which simply showed the other icons I mentioned.

I had never seen an icon for my overall computer system before. I force-quit the browser, and it was gone.

I may be paranoid, but...was my Mac under "invasion" by some sort of spyware, or was it simply having a Maalox moment? and how I could I tell? and what would I do about it?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can set whether that is visible in Finder by going to Finder --> Preferences --> Sidebar and ticking or unticking the "Computer" setting. That said, I have no idea why Camino would have any effect on your Finder preferences. I highly doubt it was spyware or malware of any kind, as they don't exist in the wild for OS X.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

did u enable file sharing in your preference?

4. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502

It appears I had Personal File sharing switched on at the time :( I have turned it off. No other sharing prefs were selected.

Well, whatever did or didn't happen, it's too late to fix it now....

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Rest assured that the Mac market is too small for the scumbags to even try to waste time writing spyware and adware for it :D

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, i just checked, i think WildCowboy's idea is right. don't worry, i don't think u are at any risk for this.

7. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

What about this?

My Mac may be safe but if spyware or virii are inside attaching to my email could I not still infect others thru email? and wouldnt this be a decent reason to use a virus checker/spyware killer?

I already use the mac firewall but I could find no options on it just off or on.

would anyone think an external or 3rd party firewall was needed?

I am new to the iMac, so I guess still think PC and have MS paranoia!

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, you can pass along viruses to your PC-using friends if the viruses are embedded in files you send to them. Many Mac users use the free ClamXav antivirus software occasionally to help prevent this.

9. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

10. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

The built-in interface to the firewall is pretty basic, just allowing you to open certain inbound ports. Given the lack of worms, it's really not that big a deal. As has been pointed out already, you can pass on PC-based malware manually. There are no current OSX in-the-wild (that is spreading from computer to computer) viruses. There have been a few localized Trojan outbreaks from time to time, but they've all required the user to install them (normally masquerading as a new version of an application the user wanted to install gotten from a local non-reputable source.)