Spyware?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by guyute, Feb 10, 2004.

1. guyute macrumors member

I am new to the mac world. I just switched last week and am loving my new pm d1.8 g5! I have a question regarding spyware: Should I take actions against spyware. Is it big on the mac? Any help would be great.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    right now dont worry about it, i have yet to encounter spy ware probelms. im sure if there are future developments in spyware that effect the mac, this forum will be a-buzz with information

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I agree with virividox; there is hardly any (known) spyware on the Mac platform now. I do know of some commercial applications for Mac OS X that fall under the spyware category (keystroke loggers, browser history recorders, etc.). However, I do not know of any Mac applications with 'embedded' spyware.

4. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I don't know of any spyware for the Mac. It would be hard to do without you knowing since you would have to use a password to install it. And if any spyware for the Mac is discovered, it will be reported all over the Mac community.

So, I wouldn't worry about it. Nor would I worry about viruses, considering Mac OS X is 100% virus free. NAV is a complete waste of money for the Mac.

Good to see a fellow Iowan on the boards. :D

5. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

And what apps would those be?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sorry, but I don't know their names. All I remember is reading about these types of applications being available for Mac OS X.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

There are some apps that are used by schools and companies to track what employees do on the work computers. On the computer labs, they have a program installed that sends data on what websites students go to on the library computers, how long they spend, and various other details.