Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Can someone suggest some sites where I can download some free spywear removal for my mac?
Cindy

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
I just now fell onto an article that says Mac users really don't need to worry too much about spyware. When you say, "There is absolutely zero spyware/adware/malware/worms/viruses for Mac OS X" -- are you saying what I just found in the article -- those just don't effect the Macs?
What about a firewall? I did a search on my Mac and found "firewalltool" but it cannot be opened.
My boss at work has a PC and has all sorts of problems with his - a TON of spyware. We talked about that today and I told him that I have no idea on mine with that stuff.
My computer is working just fine.
And then of course everytime I talk with people about computers, they always boo-hoo my Mac.
But, why are they having problems and I'm NOT??
Cindy

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
And another thing...

1. Don't install Nortons -- it'll only destroy the data on your drive.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
thanks for the tip on Nortons! Firewall: Ok, I found in systems pref. the firewall stuff on my Mac. Firewall is off right now. Should I have this on?
If so, which ones should I turn on??
There is: Personal file sharing, windows file sharing, personal web sharing, remote login, FTP access, remote apple events, printer sharing.
Thanks for any help.
Cindy

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Cindy said:
I just now fell onto an article that says Mac users really don't need to worry too much about spyware. When you say, "There is absolutely zero spyware/adware/malware/worms/viruses for Mac OS X" -- are you saying what I just found in the article -- those just don't effect the Macs?
Correct. As of now, there are none of those that will affect a Mac running OS X. It's possible to get an email containing a virus and forward it to a PC and affect that PC - simply because you're passing along a file - but it will not affect your Mac at all. Period.
Cindy said:
What about a firewall? I did a search on my Mac and found "firewalltool" but it cannot be opened.
If you go to the Apple menu (upper left) and select "System Preferences...", then Sharing, you'll see a Firewall tab. You might want to turn it on if your home's router and/or modem don't have a firewall. The Mac won't be harmed by viruses, but, like any computer connected constantly to the Internet, it can be hacked remotely. Not easy to do with a Mac, but conceivably possible.
Cindy said:
My boss at work has a PC and has all sorts of problems with his - a TON of spyware. We talked about that today and I told him that I have no idea on mine with that stuff.
My computer is working just fine.
And then of course everytime I talk with people about computers, they always boo-hoo my Mac.
Cindy
Because they assume everything has viruses, spyware, etc., and they're ignorant about the other benefits of owning a Mac.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Cindy said:
thanks for the tip on Nortons! Firewall: Ok, I found in systems pref. the firewall stuff on my Mac. Firewall is off right now. Should I have this on?
If so, which ones should I turn on??
There is: Personal file sharing, windows file sharing, personal web sharing, remote login, FTP access, remote apple events, printer sharing.
Thanks for any help.
Cindy
To turn those things on/off, go over a tab to "Services" and check/uncheck boxes. As you select the items (not checking/unchecking, just clicking on them), it'll explain what they're for. If you have other Macs or PCs you want to connect to your Mac, or if you want to host a web browser, you'll check some or all of the boxes. Otherwise, you might not turn any of them on.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sorry that Nortons Disk crappy Utility... don't use it ever.

The virus stuff could serve an occasional purpose, especially if you exchange a lot of files with Windows users.

You won't get infected, but the infected file could be passed on.

The only really problematic files are the Macro viruses, so turning off Macros in Office should help.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Ok - so here's a dumb question -- since everything is checked "off", does that mean that the firewall is not actively "on"? I may be thinking backwards here - on this whole check on/off deal :confused:

I guess I've been talking with PC users too much - LOL.
I was almost talked into buying a PC laptop but now -- NO WAY! When I have the extra $$$, I'm going for an ibook or powerbook.
Cindy

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Off means that port is off, as in no one can use it. So the firewall is on. It should also say if the firewall is on or off right above the Start/Stop button.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
yippy said:
Off means that port is off, as in no one can use it. So the firewall is on. It should also say if the firewall is on or off right above the Start/Stop button.

Great! Thanks. And yes it does say OFF above the start/stop button. I was just thinking backwards -- :eek:
Thanks for all the help.
Cindy

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Cindy said:
Great! Thanks. And yes it does say OFF above the start/stop button. I was just thinking backwards -- :eek:
Thanks for all the help.

Turning the firewall on means closing off all incoming traffic from the net. Then, when you click one of the checkboxes in the pane below, you "loosen" this and you let a little bit through. So when you don't have a firewall, everything gets through. When you turn on a firewall, initally nothing gets through. But then you may find that there are apps that need to access certain ports, so you open those ports back up.

Here is an example of my firewall settings. The ports that are checked in the picture happen to be the only ones I have open. Basically, you can close them all and then open them as you have trouble with programs, or you can try a few open ones based on apps you use, such as if you use MSN, etc....

firewall.jpg

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Thanks for the visual. Right now I'm not using anything like AIM or MSN or anything that needs to be open. At least now I know how it all works.
Cindy

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Cindy said:
And then of course everytime I talk with people about computers, they always boo-hoo my Mac. But, why are they having problems and I'm NOT??

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a Mac user.

Be prepared to viciously and loyally defend your choice of computer against the tyranny of the uneducated (and secretly-jealous) masses.

Know too, that you have many friends here. :)

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Cindy said:
Cindy

So, i suggest next time you laugh on your mates. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.