Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Square today announced that its money transferring app "Square Cash" is making the leap to Apple Watch, allowing users to make and receive money transfers on Apple's new wearable device (via TechCrunch). The original iOS and Android app allows users to send money to family and friends for free (business transactions are charged a 1.9% fee) by linking a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover debit card within the app.

square-cash-apple-watch.jpg

The company promises a more streamlined money exchange with the new Apple Watch app that prioritizes favorite contacts and presents users with accept or deny transfer messages right on their wrists. After choosing a contact on the app's home screen, users can input their desired amount using a combination of six values: $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, and $100.

Square also lets users collect money from others without the need of doling out personal information they're only comfortable with family and friends knowing. Called a "Cashtag," the service essentially lets each user claim a unique username -- all beginning with a "$" -- and share it with the person from which they want money.

Those with the Square Cash iOS app already installed -- and automatic downloads turned on -- can expect to see the Apple Watch app on their smartwatch starting today. Everyone else can download the app for free on the App Store [Direct Link].

Article Link: 'Square Cash' Introduces Apple Watch App For Easy Money Transfers on the Wrist

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Anyone know what's up with the $20 in the screenshot? All the others seem to look somewhat similar to the actual Presidential face represented on the note.

Reactions: Arran and S G

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
And we need that for? And we need an app on your watch to do this how often every day?

I actually transfer money to friends and family a lot. I only carry between $20 and $50 on me. So its nice to be able to transfer funds.

If my parents use my iTunes/App to buy music or what not, they send me cash through my bank or another app. It's easier, safer, and faster than sending a check through the mail.

The other advantage is not having to carry too much cash on you. Higher risk of theft or loss.

Reactions: Gasu E. and larryj

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Or we could just hand Jake $35. What a pathetic app.

I use this app several times a week. My paycheck is direct deposited and I literally don't ever carry or need physical cash on me. My friends have Square Cash and we use this to split bills for rent, utilities, take-out and dining, or whatever monetary exchange we need to use it for. I'm not sure why you think this is pathetic.

Side note though for everyone else-- why did they choose such a stupid input method? Is it because developers can't use the crown to implement a scroll function to increase/decrease the amount of money we want to send?

Reactions: richhh

richmondhill

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
What's pathetic is going all the way to an ATM to get cash when you can electronically transfer it easily. But then again, some people don't believe their time has value. I'm not one of those people.
How often? Every time I split a cab or restaurant bill with anyone.
You do that so often you need a micro app on your watch? Look, I'm Canadian, we've had chip cards and touch payments for years, so the whole Apple Pay thing just looks dumb to us, a watch app to transfer money as stupid as roller skates for a horse.. We're years ahead of the U.S. but we still all use cash.

Reactions: Mactendo

richmondhill

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
What's pathetic is going all the way to an ATM to get cash when you can electronically transfer it easily. But then again, some people don't believe their time has value. I'm not one of those people.
You spend as much time feeding the watch every night as a sporadic visit to an ATM you walk by daily. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere. But then, my real point here: you need a watch app....do to this how many times every day? This app is dud and will go the way of "Bump".

Reactions: Mactendo

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
You do that so often you need a micro app on your watch? Look, I'm Canadian, we've had chip cards and touch payments for years, so the whole Apple Pay thing just looks dumb to us, a watch app to transfer money as stupid as roller skates for a horse.. We're years ahead of the U.S. but we still all use cash.

Lecture the US on how far ahead of us you are when your head of state isn't a monarch on another continent.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You spend as much time feeding the watch every night as a sporadic visit to an ATM you walk by daily. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere. But then, my real point here: you need a watch app....do to this how many times every day? This app is dud and will go the way of "Bump".

I've been using chase quick pay for years. It's extremely easy to use and I never have to go to the bank. My local branch is only 3 miles away from my house. But with lovely traffic of SoCal that 3 miles takes 30 minutes. So I'm good with just transferring funds. If I didn't have chase I would use this app in a heart beat. Just because YOU don't see a need doesn't mean others don't have a need.

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Actually really helpful. I use square pretty regularly to send $$ from my US accounts to Canada. My Canadian bank has a virtual US portion w/ US fund debit card, but no physical branches in the U.S. With Square I can literally transfer funds to a different bank in a different country for free. And I can do it from my wrist. Pretty cool :)

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Before Apple Pay, I loved Square and wished that Apple would buy them. Now with Apple Pay, I actually don't use square that much - really I use it only if the vendor has square and then its usually to swipe my card. I transfer money to my daughter using Paypal since that is what she has. This seems like a great idea and maybe something Apple can look at adding to Apple Pay (that is once they convince retail outlets to actually accept and process Apple Pay transactions).

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

The app itself is not new, it's been around for awhile now. They just added Watch support.

I think the app is great, especially since I send money to a relative in a different state, fast and easy.

And just because you don't understand it, that doesn't make it dumb.

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Then you're not years ahead of the US.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
And we need that for? And we need an app on your watch to do this how often every day?

The point I'm making: this needs a watch app?

Okay, we get it, you don't like the Apple Watch, and you think for an app to be relevant it needs to be something you constantly use, thus making Cash irrelevant. Now please stop hijacking this thread so the adults can have a discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.