Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In September Square introduced the "Cash Virtual Card," letting users of the Square Cash app create a virtual Visa debit card that allows them spend their Square Cash anywhere Visa is accepted online. Today at the Code Conference in San Francisco, CEO Jack Dorsey announced that the Virtual Card now works with Apple Pay, reports Recode.

REC_HDOMBEY_CC3_20161206_200815_8147.0-800x533.jpg
Image via Recode

The move gives the Cash Virtual Card a physical presence, allowing users to spend their Square Cash anywhere Apple Pay is accepted. Dorsey said he's been using the Virtual Card as his primary card for the past two months.

Square has steadily been working toward turning Square Cash into a fully fledged payment solution. The service originally started as a peer-to-peer payment system before expanding into online payments with the Virtual Card.

Article Link: Square's 'Cash Virtual Card' Now Works With Apple Pay

Last edited:

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I guess this would be nice if your primary bank doesn't support Apple Pay, but I'm not really seeing the use case otherwise. Am I missing something?

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
The operative words here are "anywhere Apple Pay is accepted". Heck, most terminals I see still don't even accept chip card transactions.

And that he's been using it as his primary card for two months says a lot about the diversity of vendors he uses. Lulz

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Nice, unfortunately you're limited to a max of 8 credit/debit cards. Love the idea but I don't want a slot being taken up by a virtual card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.