Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Jailbreaking is not about pirating, it's about having more control over your os. Anyone that claims otherwise is a closet pirate, or maybe not even a closet one.

People root android for the same reason, you do not have to root android to pirate. Android ALLOWS you to side load apps out of the box. That guarantees that rooting is not about piracy.

So let me get this straight. Android rooters are doing it for more control but ios users are doing it for pirating. That means some of you think ios users are more dishonest than android users. Do you know how ridulous that sounds?

Last edited:

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
lol...users who wants to steal? :confused:
wahahahah.
i dont play this game but i fully support this myself.
if they dont block, they should at least have a notice before the game starts

Which is why they say they are removing the jailbreak-block, because they did not communicate it before purchase.

----------

Yeah well PCs and Macs can download and play games illegally. That doesn't stop people making games for them! To assume that all jailbreakers are pirates is completely wrong.

No, but it has led to debacles like the Sony Music Rootkit, and other such harsh overdone DRM measures, in an attempt to stop piracy.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Since you just don't seem to 'get it.'

I get it, as I've stated many times! Not all Jailbreakers pirate. There are loads of advantages to jail breaking. I own a jailbroken iPod touch.

But I believe most people who jailbreak pirate their apps on that device.

Damn people love twisting my argument here.

You all believe most Jailbreakers don't pirate apps? Great but I disagree.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
I dont understand why companies do this, as long as they are getting the money for the app. Can someone fill me in on how this works anyway?

We have developed apps that disable features on jailbroken devices. Though we do state it clearly in the app description. Before we did this we had around a 1:30 ratio of sales:cracked installed. We now have a ratio of around 1:4 on the same app.

We can't afford to develop apps just to have them pirated and many devs are the same. Whilst it's not an ideal situation for anyone it enables our apps to be cost effective to develop now.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Jailbreaking is not about pirating, it's about having more control over your os. Anyone that claims otherwise is a closet pirate, or maybe not even a closet one.

People root android for the same reason, you do not have to root android to pirate. Android ALLOWS you to side load apps out of the box. That guarantees that rooting is not about piracy.

So let me get this straight. Android rooters are doing it for more control but ios users are doing it for pirating. That means some of you think ios users are more dishonest than android users. Do you know how ridulous that sounds?

Nice, but I'm willing to bet there are more jailbreakers that pirate than the jailbreakers who don't.
Honestly the amount of people here are shamelessly defending the jailbreakers and attacking the developer here come across guilty as sin.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Nice, but I'm willing to bet there are more jailbreakers that pirate than the jailbreakers who don't.
Honestly the amount of people here are shamelessly defending the jailbreakers and attacking the developer here come across guilty as sin.

Where is your proof? If people root androids and it has nothing to do with pirating why couldn't iphone owners?

I'm not attacking anyone especially the developer, but calling everyone that jailbreaks a pirate is ridiculous. I guess everyone that is running osx is pirating because they can?

Renzatic

Suspended

You only think that because you're basing your entire argument and opinion off wholly ignorant assumptions.

Do you know who was hurt most by this move? Their legitimate customers who bought the game, and just happened to have their iDevices jailbroken. The crackers and pirates were able to download and play the game without any issues whatsoever. At worst, the only thing they had to do was wait a day for the workaround to come out that allowed them to play their illegally obtained game without any issues.

The people who legitimately bought the game? If SE didn't reverse course, they'd still be screwed today.

I'm not against companies attempting to combat piracy. What I am against is heavy handed measures that punish their paying customers by treating them like criminals, yet does absolutely nothing whatsoever to stop piracy.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Yeah, thanks Enix, for assuming everyone with a jail broken iPhone is a thief. I'll make sure to avoid all your games in the future.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Where is your proof? If people root androids and it has nothing to do with pirating why couldn't iphone owners?

I'm not attacking anyone especially the developer, but calling everyone that jailbreaks a pirate is ridiculous. I guess everyone that is running osx is pirating because they can?

You have a lot of issues with reading comprehension. I didn't state anything as fact, nor did I claim anything I wrote as fact, neither did I call EVERYONE that jailbreaks a pirate. Please read the post properly before posting kneejerk reactions. :rolleyes:

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Heh, so they'll cave to pirates, but not to players asking them to update some of their ported games (looking at you, SoM).

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I get it, as I've stated many times! Not all Jailbreakers pirate. There are loads of advantages to jail breaking. I own a jailbroken iPod touch.

But I believe most people who jailbreak pirate their apps on that device.

Damn people love twisting my argument here.

You all believe most Jailbreakers don't pirate apps? Great but I disagree.

But you're the one that keeps offering that *opinion* as some kind of fact. And then when someone asks for some stats, you just repeat the same argument. We get it, you think the majority off jail breakers are pirates. That is your opinion and people are allowed to offer their counter-evidence all they want. Now tell us again how you think the majority pirates.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
You have a lot of issues with reading comprehension. I didn't state anything as fact, nor did I claim anything I wrote as fact, neither did I call EVERYONE that jailbreaks a pirate. Please read the post properly before posting kneejerk reactions. :rolleyes:

I comprehend just fine, that last part was not directed directly at you but at the ones that ARE making that claim. That's why I spaced it and did not personalize it to you, no point in making another post. Maybe you should lay off the coffee or crank, whichever it is.

You did make this statement as fact, and making that comment definitely does not make you look like someone that is capable of rational thought. Jailbreaking gives you control of the os, period. You have some kind of complex apparently, maybe you are not capable of jailbreaking and are jealous.

Last edited:

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
State something that can only be taken one way, then argue the minutiae when someone calls you out for it. Use eyeroll emote for emphasis.

NOW THAT'S HOW YOU ARGUE ON THE INTERNET, PEOPLE!

Really, thin skinned people should not be so over opinionated if they cannot take being called on something. Especially if they do not know what they are talking about.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
All iOS pirates are jailbreakers, but not all jailbreakers are pirates.

True, but unfortunately the majority of the jailbroken devices that I see are used solely for the purpose of pirating apps.
Most of these people have little or no knowledge of the vast jailbreak community that does not tolerate piracy, since you know they don't give a hoot about anything other than free apps.
The sheer concept of removing restrictions on an operating system to allow unauthorized code such as custom modifications unfortunately brings with it the side effect of illegal code such as viruses and pirated software. This is just another unintended side effect of jailbreaking, and jailbreakers who genuinely buy apps should also be aware of the risk in that the majority of the jailbroken devices are used for piracy.
It seems to me in this case that jailbreakers who complain that they can't use certain paid apps despite the fact that they legitimately purchased it did not realize the full extent of the risks in jailbreaking.

Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
We have developed apps that disable features on jailbroken devices. Though we do state it clearly in the app description. Before we did this we had around a 1:30 ratio of sales:cracked installed. We now have a ratio of around 1:4 on the same app.

We can't afford to develop apps just to have them pirated and many devs are the same. Whilst it's not an ideal situation for anyone it enables our apps to be cost effective to develop now.

so you are another company not to do business with. What is the name of it?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
True, but unfortunately the majority of the jailbroken devices that I see are used solely for the purpose of pirating apps.

I 100% agree with you, no argument here. Be careful what you say around here, the "legit jailbreakers" get upset because they don't want the word out that they may not be "legit". :)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Well, apparently when you come across them, you'll know since they apparently clearly label their apps jailbreak-unfriendly.

I'm looking to come across them I want to filter them out ahead of time. They made a corporate decision that is anti customer so I want nothing to do with them.

mm201

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Heh, so they'll cave to pirates, but not to players asking them to update some of their ported games (looking at you, SoM).
No but they caved to demands for refunds and a potential class action suit. Neither of which would be possible if jailbreakers weren't buying their game.

It seems to me in this case that jailbreakers who complain that they can't use certain paid apps despite the fact that they legitimately purchased it did not realize the full extent of the risks in jailbreaking.
Which are the same as, you know, running a desktop operating system.

I 100% agree with you, no argument here. Be careful what you say around here, the "legit jailbreakers" get upset because they don't want the word out that they may not be "legit". :)
Baseless accusations against anyone who disagrees with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
While it wasn't fair to tar every single jailbreaker with the same brush, you can see why they thought it would be a good idea. If the game uses IAP to get extra credits which go toward Augmentations, then there are players who while paying legitimately for the game itself, would use one of the IAP workaround "tweaks" from Cydia to essentially cheat both other players and SE out of money.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
No but they caved to demands for refunds and a potential class action suit. Neither of which would be possible if jailbreakers weren't buying their game.

Which are the same as, you know, running a desktop operating system..

1. A class-action suit would have been in the favor of Square Enix since first of all it was promoting complying with the terms and conditions of Apple and iOS. The Supreme Court may have ruled jailbreaking legal, but it is still within Apple's jurisdiction as to what a user will be able to do with a jailbroken device, such as get proper support for buying apps from the App Store. By publishing the game on the App Store it is understood that the devices that run the app will be in compliance to Apple's terms and conditions and in the case that it is not (i.e. jailbroken devices), both the publisher Square Enix, which must also agree to Apple's policies, and Apple itself have the right to deny those devices service. Thus, demands for refunds would not have been met anyway. Also, once bought, the buyer never has to pay for the game again, so Square Enix takes not as big a profit hit as you might think.

2. Yes, it's exactly the same as a desktop operating system and that's why it's so hard to control desktop operating system piracy.
We're not talking desktop though and your point is irrelevant.

I don't see what you're trying to argue here.

Last edited:

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
It escapes me how Square-Enix totally dropped the ball on this one. Some dumbell didn't realise that jailbreaks don't necessarily constitute THEFT.

In fact I've jailbroken before so I can PAY FOR additional software that I needed. Unfortunately JBs do drain the battery more, even though I had the very bare minimum of add-ons :( Occasionally though I go back just for fun and load those nice Cydia apps that I've paid for ...

----------

While it wasn't fair to tar every single jailbreaker with the same brush, you can see why they thought it would be a good idea. If the game uses IAP to get extra credits which go toward Augmentations, then there are players who while paying legitimately for the game itself, would use one of the IAP workaround "tweaks" from Cydia to essentially cheat both other players and SE out of money.

OOOOOOOOOhhhh... I forgot about that one :D :D :D

It 'ruined' my experience in RealRacing 3. Without it, repairing your car and the wait was nothing. But after a few 'free' upgrades and rides, waiting seemed like such a pain and the point of playing the game kinda flopped.

Still, I did purchase one of the upgrade packs in the game...

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I don't pirate apps. I do jailbreak when i can to tweak my iphone to my liking. So i agree that not everyone who jailbreaks, pirates apps. What i do cause i am a cheapo is what for them to go on sale, or if i am lucky they will be free for a day/weekend and hurry up and download them there. I am not a huge gamer, so i don't need to get an app/game when it first comes out. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.