Square Enix's 'Final Fantasy IX' Launches on iOS App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Square Enix today launched the iOS version of its popular game Final Fantasy IX [Direct Link], which was originally released in 2000 for the Sony PlayStation. New to the iOS version of the game, players will be able to unlock achievements, activate 7 additional game boosters including a rapid-pace "high speed" mode, game autosaves, and improved high definition cut scenes and character models.

[​IMG]
    Otherwise, the ninth game in the JRPG series will remain the same, with the story focusing on the adventures of a thief named Zidane, who finds himself in the midst of a war between two powerful factions when he kidnaps Princess Garnet, the heir of the war-torn nation of Alexandria. Last summer, Square Enix re-released another game in the series, Final Fantasy VII, for iOS as well.

As with part seven in the series, Final Fantasy IX takes up about 2GB of storage space on an iPhone, but requires over 8GB of free space to download. Square Enix encourages users to "make sure that ample spare memory is available" before attempting to begin the game's download.

Final Fantasy IX is compatible with the iPhone 5s or later, iPad 4th generation or later, iPad mini 2 or later, and the iPod touch 6th generation. All devices will need a version of iOS 7 or any recent iOS update to run the game. Square Enix is also running a sale for Final Fantasy IX's launch, so starting today and until February 21 users can download the game at a discounted price of $16.99.

Article Link: Square Enix's 'Final Fantasy IX' Launches on iOS App Store

2. jamescharley22 macrumors member

jamescharley22

Oh my lord, yes! Hopefully this means Final Fantasy X is next! I would drop even $49 without hesitation to play Final Fantasy X on my phone. What would be great is if it was ported at 1080p and scaled down for the iPhone 6 and 6s. Hopefully we'll see it within a few years, fingers crossed. I would not mind restarting my journey again.

3. kcamfork macrumors regular

So Final Fantasy 8 is getting the iOS shaft... shame. That was my favorite one.

4. jamescharley22 macrumors member

jamescharley22

VIII was a good one too! I wish Square could just port them all.

5. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

All time fav one. I actually have several copies of the game across the consoles that it releases on and I have. But gonna skip this one because playing games like these on my iPhone is just not comfortable.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Nice but I don't see if it supports the atv4? Mfi controller?

7. Valkyre macrumors 6502

Is this game full screen on iphone 6s or is it with the black bars on each side?

8. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I can't wait for Final Fantasy X-2.

While not the best game in the franchise, it has significant nostalgic value to me.

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

10. eroslws macrumors member

Man, memories of this game bring tears to my eyes, it was just absolutely perfect. After playing 1-6 in the series and then taking a hiatus from the old-school feel with 7 and 8, FF9 was the most nostalgic game I've ever played. If this is your first time playing this game, do yourself a favor and wear headphones, Vamo'alla Flamenco will be stuck in your head for a long time.

11. anthdci macrumors 6502

Loved working through this back in the day with my brother. I'll be putting it on my iPad mini2 since there is no chance of it fitting on my 16gb iPhone (which I regret getting should have got the 64gb)

12. El Hikaru macrumors regular

13. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Only just downloaded it, haven't started playing, but from the main menu it definitely seems they went through more effort to port this to mobile. Menu is quite different than the original as opposed to VII. Wish it didn't have that ugly battery meter in the corner though...

14. HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

OK? Thanks so much for letting us know ...
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2016 ---
    A pretty solid remake. The battery symbol is awful ;-)
    Sadly it is not iPad Pro optimized so it looks very blurry!!!!

15. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

That is too bad. VII looks pretty good on the Pro.

16. KALLT macrumors 68040

That’s probably the reason why it’s ported to mobile devices to begin with. It will not look good on high-resolution devices.

17. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is fantastic--I got distracted from 9 about a third of the way in and never got back to it, and this will make finishing it much more convenient (even if I've been informed that the part I played is the best of it).

That said... what the hell happened to 8? That's my favorite after 6! Yeah, the gameplay was weak, but it had a great story and characters. Heck, 8 even had a PC port already, although apparently nobody bought it.

Now if they'd just release all these for the ATV...

18. psac macrumors 6502

Because of the hot springs scene?

19. KrisLord macrumors 6502

are there any proper gameplay videos? as a former Xbox gamer, I never really played final fantasy. The promo doesn't look like something from a mobile 2016 game. It looks like it's still 2000.

20. chinito77 macrumors newbie

chinito77

ATV and controller support would be nice. I'll wait for the price drop or update, whichever comes first.

21. Harry Pujols macrumors newbie

Really excited!! Never played IX before, but played the heck out of VII, X, V and VI (the latter two on IOS). Now playing through VII (again) on IOS and really enjoying it - thought wish there were more touch enabled capabilities.. which is my question - is IX navigated 100% with the Dpad (like VII) or did they create a more user friendly touch screen interface for menus, etc?

22. Makosuke macrumors 603

Of course it looks like a (somewhat more polished) 2000 game; this is a port, not a complete remake. (Actually, while I haven't bought it yet, the gameplay bits of that video look like they use full-resolution rendering and smoother textures with more or less the original models, so it does look somewhat better than the PS1 original.)

Similar to how FF5 and FF6 on iOS look like somewhat more polished 1992 and 1994 games, and FF1 and FF2 on iOS look like quite a bit more polished 1987/1988 games.

The only Final Fantasy games to have gotten full remakes available on iOS are 3 and 4, which were originally remade in roughly FF8/9 level graphics and style for the DS, and 4: The After Years, which got a full remake with fancier graphics originally for iOS and Android.

Well, technically FF Adventure also got a remake, but it's now more correctly titled as part of the Mana series where it belongs.

23. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Loved IX on the PlayStation. Not as intense as VII, but funnier and a nice story.

24. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Mmmmmm, dem pixels. P:

Actually, it was the first F.F. Game I ever played and it took a significant amount of my childhood to get that 100%! Plus, it was the last gift by a certain family member that I received.

25. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Playing now, not sure what you're on, but it looks great on my iPad Pro...