Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I have no idea why they charge these astronomical prices. If they halved the price, I'm sure they would much more than double their sales. No?

Half the price and double the sales. Isn't that exactly the same amount of sale? Ha ha

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
This game should be able to run on the original iPhone/iPhone 3G easily, never mind the iPhone 5

John Carmack once famously said the original iPhone/iPhone 3G was more powerful than the "PSP and Nintendo DS combined"

(The PSP was able to run PS1 emulated games with ease)
yes, it should. I've just arrived to the world map part, after you first exit midgar. if you set the camera behind the main character (R/L2 buttons), the game slows down until it becomes a pain to watch. You have to stick with the default camera (and then it still slows down a bit at times). Well...it may be that my device is too slow. It's just an iPad air 2 after all... I think it's not native code, it must run on an emulator.
Can anyone tell me whether it will play in full screen on the iPhone 6? (surely??)
no. black bar at the bottom, blu bars to the sides. The space available for the game is about as big as a 4/4s screen

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Ah, good old iCloud Strife ;) this takes me back to me youth. Still though, I'll just wait for the remastered version. Hoping for 2017 to align with the 20th anniversary of the original...

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
So, yet another port to iOS with no reciprocal OS X version offered at all, despite the fact it takes almost no effort to port iOS Apps to OSX. It demonstrates once again why an iOS "simulator/emulator" mode (i.e. the developer kit already does this, I believe so it would take almost no effort on Apple's port to offer it) would be a good idea. Alas, M$ already offers full app compatibility with its own mobile apps in Windows and now has an Android App emulator as well. It offers Cortana for Windows and meanwhile, what does Apple offer in OSX? Oh yeah, NOTHING (i.e. no touch support and no Siri support and no App compatibility support). More ugly flat GUIs and a new graphic API that is compatible with and supported by exactly NO ONE ELSE. Smart moves as usual Apple. :rolleyes:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I hear ya, but the whole thing started back with the original "Final Fantasy" being what Squaresoft thought was going to be their "final" game before bankruptcy. Turned out the creator thought to make it an epic story, make a grand adventure where the player built his characters, and introduced the classes system.!

The first Final Fantasy had an awesome premise with its paradox ending. If you defeat the villain and save the world, everything you accomplished gets erased from history. Talk about a downer. I like how the first boss is also the final boss. Quite the shocker the first time I played it.

I tried FF4. I loved the original story back then, but it was not fun to play on the touch screen. Scrolling down magic list or target was a pain. I stopped playing after Rosa was kidnapped. I don't know how she is doing there.

YOU SPOONY BARD!:mad: You can't let your future wife (FFIV: The After Years) become your future sister-in-law.

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London
I'll wait until it's priced is reduced and they sort out the bugs.

Read that if you close the app, the game isn't paused and you have to restart from the last save.

So that'll need to be fixed.

Will have some welcome nostalgia though playing this on the train.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
FF7 gets more than enough love. If they're going to re-release a game, make it FF6 or 9.

Sorry if I didn't fall back enough to read the replies but didn't they already release a re-release of FFVI or do you mean a re-make in style of FFIV (DS version)? I think they're just going in order of the games, since I do remember them releasing a slightly overhauled version of FFVI but yes they do need to remake FFV/VI.

Can't wait for VIII tho, that's the one that's really stood out for me and I remembering thinking the graphics were crazy for its time and the cinematic were jaw-dropping.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
FF7 gets more than enough love. If they're going to re-release a game, make it FF6 or 9.
FF6 has been on the same number of systems minus PC, but had a GBA port. And isn't that already on iOS? I might be mistaken.

7 gets a lot of attention because, surprise surprise, more people like it.

Reactions: canesalato

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica
I saved all of my iTunes gift cards, hoping this day would come!

Although I do have the original game and can play it on my ps one, I just don't have time with a house full of kids. This is pretty convenient! I am sure I will be just as happy as I would be playing it on the TV.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I saved all of my iTunes gift cards, hoping this day would come!

Although I do have the original game and can play it on my ps one, I just don't have time with a house full of kids. This is pretty convenient! I am sure I will be just as happy as I would be playing it on the TV.
If you have a Playstation Vita you can play pretty much every main FF game up to 10-2. Even if you've got a PSP you can play up to FF9. And then you've also got both FF Dissidia, the tower defence one, every other PS1 game, heh.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
When I flip the phone up the other way (home button to the left), the screen doesn't rotate. Is that an issue with my phone, or the game?

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica
5418b780d6cb8cb031ec474d5b9ddb91.jpg

And don't forget to try this tip from Brian Williams... lol

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
I'm sorry, I AM VERY SORRY for you, because i shared your same hope. It is NOT what you think it is. It is a very sloppy and lazy port. It doesn't have HD graphics. Fonts and characters have a higher resolution than ps1 but that's all and it's not HD. Backgrounds are very low res. Textures during battles are VERY low res AND have no filter at all. Format is 4/3 with huge blu bars, no touch screen support, everything is done via virtual bottons, including menus and battles. It's like those ps1 jailbreak emulators.

And, at this moment, there is a bug which makes impossible to go on with the story, after barely one hour of playing! Did they even try the freaking game before starting to sell it???

Think about the FF6 iOS port! That was fantastic! This is completely different. Trust me. Don't buy, at least until they do something with this garbage of control system. On the iPad I can barely stand it, because I love FF7. On the iPhone. I have an iPhone 6 and the portion of the screen that displays the game is about as big as a 4s screen and cluttered by a thousand of virtual buttons. It's a f****** jailbreak emulator

Having played it I now agree with your take mostly.

Yes... after they took all that time I assumed it would be HD and well... an improvement on say the PC port.

It's essentially the PC port with the controller overlay. I have an iPhone 6 but if I had an older one I'd be wondering why this is so slow because it ran on a PSX just fine (and being a port, it shouldn't have any overhead on top of the original).

Bug preventing it from being played? I haven't noticed any and I'm up to the part where you're in the town that's a big gun (Rufus has the big ceremony and you dress as a guard). Hmmm which bug?

That said, given the price, I think you're paying for the FFVII NAME only, not the quality. It plays a bit like a rushed job emulation effort by some jailbreaker might play. Really shoddy, rushed job.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Having played it I now agree with your take mostly.

Yes... after they took all that time I assumed it would be HD and well... an improvement on say the PC port.

It's essentially the PC port with the controller overlay. I have an iPhone 6 but if I had an older one I'd be wondering why this is so slow because it ran on a PSX just fine (and being a port, it shouldn't have any overhead on top of the original).

Bug preventing it from being played? I haven't noticed any and I'm up to the part where you're in the town that's a big gun (Rufus has the big ceremony and you dress as a guard). Hmmm which bug?

That said, given the price, I think you're paying for the FFVII NAME only, not the quality. It plays a bit like a rushed job emulation effort by some jailbreaker might play. Really shoddy, rushed job.

I'm sorry. I was wrong about the bug. :)
Te be precise, there is a bug indeed, but it's still possible to go on with the game, only, at the time I wrote, I didn't know how.

In the original game, when you were trying to escape from Aerith's house, you had to walk slowly past her bedroom door. Otherwise the noise would allert her. When I tried to do this on the iOS version I found that it was impossible. Even when trying to walk slowly, Cloud would still start running by himself, making noise and allerting Aerith. Turns out that you have to simply run away...no walking.
If you walk you make noise, if you run you are 100% silent. But why??

The reason is actually pretty funny: in the original game you walked by default. To run you had to press the square button while walking. Let's call it the "run/walk switch button". On iOS autorun is enabled: you run by default and walk when you press the switch button (B).

Back to the bug: the problem is that the game doesn't really know if you are walking or running. It only knows if the "switch button" (Square/B) is pressed or not. On iOS the game wants you to run because when you run you don't press the switch button, which, on the original game was "the run button". They really did a lot of testing on this port!

Talking about performance. On my Air 2, on the world map, the game looses frames. This is easier to notice in some places, but if you change the camera and put it on the back of your shoulders (L2,R2) the problem becomes more severe. I didn't notice this on my iPhone 6, did you?

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Talking about performance. On my Air 2, on the world map, the game looses frames. This is easier to notice in some places, but if you change the camera and put it on the back of your shoulders (L2,R2) the problem becomes more severe. I didn't notice this on my iPhone 6, did you?
Seems "OK" on my 6. It's proably not as smooth as it could be, but at the same time I doubt that it's any worse than the PS1/Windows versions. I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.

Rico0307

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
Is it confirmed can play in Iphone 5.. Mine is ip5 (not 5s). Just to make sure im not waste $15.

Anyone ever tried it on Iphone 5 ?

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Well that's funny, because I'm sitting here playing it with a steel series stratus xl and it's fun on a bun. Keep living in your sad world.

Does living in a sad world consist of telling people off on a tech forum with a controller in one hand and an iphone in the other playing an 18 year old game?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.