Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojoxp

macrumors member
May 18, 2006
Just wanted to say HAPPY HTC EVO DAY!!!!! Now I'm ready for iPhone 4G Day!!! Yes...I Love Technology...sucks to be a fanboy when there is so much good tech out there. That is all.

How's your battery life treating you?

Although seriously, battery issues a side, it really is a pretty fantastic phone. Bit big for my purposes, but it does look fantastic on your hands. Hopefully Apple learns something from the networking options on the EVO.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
iPhone HD sounds a little sketch for an Apple product. Just my opinion. Can you imagine saying to someone, "I have the iPhone HD!". Then they reply, "Why is it called that and not 4G?". Just my POV.

Yeah, but people said that when the 3GS came out too. "What a stupid name!" everyone proclaimed. It seems the most likely to me because:

HD Video
HD Display
Better camera module (larger/higher mp/flash)

All according to the leaks / rumors

Is it just me, or did I miss a rumor somewhere? 32GB and 64GB listed for the new iPhone?

I've been following all the rumors, or so I thought, but this is the first time I've seen anything mentioning the memory of the new iPhone... ???

Either way, I love it, I've got no room on my 16GB 3G anymore!

**Doh! Just noticed that they'll be adjusting to reflect actual product names and capacities...

Still, is there any word on the capacities anywhere? Anyone heard anything?

Yes, when the first leak of the new iPhone came out, it was stated that it had the odd capacity of 80gb. Seems unlikely, but not impossible. Especially if they can get a smaller 16gb module squeezed in there with the 64gb one. Any experts on the current flash memory market who can chime in?

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
Anyone have any info on the comparison between SquareTrade and AppleCare?

Obviously Apple Care doesn't cover you for accidental damage, so it's a pretty no-brainer if you want to be covered fully, go for the Square Trade deal - but for general phone faults etc, go for Apple Care.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Just wanted to say HAPPY HTC EVO DAY!!!!! Now I'm ready for iPhone 4G Day!!! Yes...I Love Technology...sucks to be a fanboy when there is so much good tech out there. That is all.

If the iPhone 4G a lame update I might go with the HTC EVO. I wish there was a HTC EVO Touch without a service plan. Good tech regardless of fanboy status.

YesILoveTech

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
How's your battery life treating you?

Although seriously, battery issues a side, it really is a pretty fantastic phone. Bit big for my purposes, but it does look fantastic on your hands. Hopefully Apple learns something from the networking options on the EVO.

I actually have a Nexus One. I'm just excited about where phones like the iPhone 4G and EVO are headed technology-wise...even if it is just incremental progress. I will agree that the TRUE next frontier on mobile devices will be battery life...especially with all these new sexy and I'm sure battery hogging features that are coming out.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
LTE is before 4G. It's called "beyond 3G", or as I like to refer to it, 3.5G.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution

So far I'm not impressed with Sprint's 4g. After hearing the rumor that the new iPhone is coming to Sprint, I did some research, and found that their "4g" averages 4-6mbps, which is what I average on AT&T's 3g! What?!? Their 3G coverage map is bigger, but they don't have 4g at my college, just my home town in KC. Seems like their 3g is a lot slower than AT&T, except maybe in the largest cities. But it still beats edge in the country. When is AT&T going to upgrade those towers?

lappland

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
Florida
One Price Sites?

Aren't there sites like http://www.matrixprotection.com that cover all items for just one price? Not sure if I want to get a separate plan for the iPhone when everything would be covered for just $9.88 instead a month?

Am I missing something?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I actually have a Nexus One. I'm just excited about where phones like the iPhone 4G and EVO are headed technology-wise...even if it is just incremental progress. I will agree that the TRUE next frontier on mobile devices will be battery life...especially with all these new sexy and I'm sure battery hogging features that are coming out.

I've been hearing about all these "super batteries" for years now, but never see them come to market. Engadget and Gizmodo write all these stories about them that make me all excited. Like the laptop battery that lasts a month and takes 30 minutes to charge. I remember reading about that one a few years ago. They're sort of mythical creatures, like the electric car. But I guess that makes sense, as they're related.

To me, one of the most "magical" things about my iPad is the battery life, even jailbroken. Hopefully the next iPhone is flat / glass on the back because it has a built-in solar panel charger. But it probably has a touch pad instead. Either way...nice.

hookedonapple

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
Replacement Cost

Doesnt sound bad - but understand the most you can receive for your 3Gs is $399 --so still out of pocket money.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Why not just use regular renter’s or home insurance? Mine covers my gear when I’m away from my apartment too—or when I leave it in my car--and it does cover accidents and thefts. It has full-replacement-value coverage, and it covers electronics (sometimes those two things are extra). And it costs me about $125/year. Liberty Mutual I think (but I’m not 100% sure). Cost depends on where you live, I realize.

Is it just me, or did I miss a rumor somewhere? 32GB and 64GB listed for the new iPhone?

Just an educated guess, since capacities tend to double.

I sure HOPE there’s a 64 model, because 32 is not enough for me! Between massive GPS navigation data, a couple huge games, my music library, my photos, and storing TV shows, I need as much space as possible.

hookedonapple

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
replacement cost

My understanding is the max replacement cost provided with this program is $399 -- so you are still out of pocket

jpg

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
I sure HOPE there’s a 64 model, because 32 is not enough for me! Between massive GPS navigation data, a couple huge games, my music library, my photos, and storing TV shows, I need as much space as possible.

+1

I really need more storage, I am constantly erasing apps and editing my playlists. The number one reason for me to get a new device!

If it won't be 64Gb I am seriously thinking about getting an iPod Classic and get rid of (most of) my music on my iPhone just to save space...

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
Amex

Just buy with AMEX and you AUTOMATICALLY have for FREE purchase protection.

This provides protection against accidents for a limit per year(forgot how much).

Found out AMEX had this, after I bought a laptop and tripped with it on the street, damaging it. Store wouldn't take it back, so check with AMEX and found out about PP. Inquired with HP about getting repairs, got a quote, got it approved by AMEX, and as Emeril would say 'bam!'

Cost me $0

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Or you could add a rider to your existing home or renter's insurance for a tiny, tiny fee compared to this...

longshadows

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
SquareTrade, but not in Maine

I was sold on SquareTrade and wanted to check it out for my new (on order from Apple :apple: ) iPad 3G. Yes, they cover iPads (too) for two years for $99 and three years at $149. Great. I was set to sign up, but during the process, I noticed that my state (Maine) was missing from their drop down of states.:eek:

What's the deal?! They provide warranty service in every state but MAINE. I know we're small, but not as small as Wyoming, Vermont and North Dakota (where SquareTrade does sell their products.) Hey, Maine's a nice place--we even have a Whole Foods and an Apple Store (still waiting for Trader Joe's though). I'm sorely disappointed.:(

Well, just had to spill my guts about this disappointing turn of events. I'd like to get a SquareTrade warranty. Sure looks good, for the rest of you guys, though!

(Maybe we're actually a part of Canada and no one has told us yet?)

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Like the laptop battery that lasts a month and takes 30 minutes to charge. I remember reading about that one a few years ago. They're sort of mythical creatures, like the electric car. But I guess that makes sense, as they're related.
Sounds like eestor. Well, the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt are coming out this fall so electric cars are back. I still secretly hope that eestor is real and not just a venture capital sucking machine. But new chemistries are made all the time. There's a glass coated Li-on technology that came out of MIT last year that's very promising. Allows for significantly faster charging and more controlled discharge but it's not quite ready for consumer products.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
Where did you get that?

If you are a member then they send you discount coupons via email. I have an inbox full of them, All of my iPhones have been covered by square trade and have never had any problems with their service. My only gripe has been the theft portion which I have always wanted them to cover, Maybe now...

deepakhj

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
San Francisco
Just buy with AMEX and you AUTOMATICALLY have for FREE purchase protection.

This provides protection against accidents for a limit per year(forgot how much).

Found out AMEX had this, after I bought a laptop and tripped with it on the street, damaging it. Store wouldn't take it back, so check with AMEX and found out about PP. Inquired with HP about getting repairs, got a quote, got it approved by AMEX, and as Emeril would say 'bam!'

Cost me $0

Sorry but AMEX only covers for 90 day damage/theft. They add a year of warranty to anything you purchase as well.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
WorthAveGroup.com

Looks to be a very legit service. Anyone know of them? I am contemplating this for my notebook, 3GS, and iPad. Can't seem to go wrong. Great prices and great deductibles. SquareTrade does offer two years though it looks like.
The site that you posted will offer up to 3 years of insurance for the merchandise with the price point being 500 for the iphone with the accidental coverage

ldkaplan

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
N. Georgia
Doesnt sound bad - but understand the most you can receive for your 3Gs is $399 --so still out of pocket money.

Squaretrade says $599...why $399?

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/iphone-landing24

• 2 years coverage against drops, spills and normal use failures
  • Most repairs done same day. Free over-night shipping from and to depot*
  • No Refurbs! If we can't fix your iPhone, we give you cash - up to $599!**

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.