Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Or you could add a rider to your existing home or renter's insurance for a tiny, tiny fee compared to this...

State Farm does not cover smartphones. I think they ended this coverage right around the time the iPhone came out (surprise, surprise). I doubt many, if any, other major insurers offer such coverage either.

I live in fear of dropping and shattering my iPhone screen. Here's hoping the new model 1) has an easy-to-replace glass screen (and from the protype pics it looks like a fairly simple affair), and 2) has a more durable (Gorilla Glass?) screen that you are far less likely to need to replace.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
WorthAveGroup.com

Looks to be a very legit service. Anyone know of them? I am contemplating this for my notebook, 3GS, and iPad. Can't seem to go wrong. Great prices and great deductibles. SquareTrade does offer two years though it looks like.

Why not just use regular renter’s or home insurance? Mine covers my gear when I’m away from my apartment too—or when I leave it in my car--and it does cover accidents and thefts. It has full-replacement-value coverage, and it covers electronics (sometimes those two things are extra). And it costs me about $125/year. Liberty Mutual I think (but I’m not 100% sure). Cost depends on where you live, I realize.

Just an educated guess, since capacities tend to double.

I sure HOPE there’s a 64 model, because 32 is not enough for me! Between massive GPS navigation data, a couple huge games, my music library, my photos, and storing TV shows, I need as much space as possible.
I have home owners insurance thru my car insurance. State Farm offers it and so does Nationwide.

pacmantech

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
Been a SquareTrade customer for awhile, at least 5 years or so. Had to process a claim twice, and both went very smoothly. For the price, I won't hesitate to buy this warranty from them for me and my wife. I bought Applecare for my iPhone 3G and have needed to use it twice already in the second year. What a great deal if you are almost certain you'll keep this iPhone for two years.

If you're considering the AmEx protection, be sure to know that there are two different warranty/protection products from them:

Purchase Protection covers dumb mistakes like getting your product stolen, or if you drop it, for up to 90 days from purchase.

Extended Warranty doubles the length of the manufacturer's warranty but keeps the same terms. So, on the day your original warranty runs out, this kicks in, but in the case of Apple products, it won't cover loss, theft, or accidental damage (technically).

It won't hurt to buy your new iPhone with an AmEx card, because either service might come in handy (especially the former), but it won't give you the comprehensive coverage (minus loss/theft) that SquareTrade offers.

SquareTrade coupon code THIRTY30 ends up knocking down the price of this warranty to $93.75. There is some coupon already entered in their system by default to reduce the price from the normal $124 to $99, but this THIRTY30 coupon takes its place to save another $5.25.

Someone mentioned adding it as a rider to homeowners/renters insurance. I have State Farm, and my agent tells me this is not an option, for whatever reason. If you have State Farm and have this coverage on your iPhone, I'd like to find out how. Please get in touch, because of course that's a better option than any of the above...and I'd like to dig deeper!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I have a 2 year insurance on my iPad and 3 years with my MBP through square trade.

how reliable is square trade? they undercut all other insureances by a factor of 2. How likely is it that they go broke and we are stuck without warranty?

jediorange

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
Rip-off

All of these options sound like a rip-off. Apple only charges $199 for an out-of-warranty replacement (accidental damage or not). So, the AT&T deal is not worth it at all, and the SquareTrade you could potentially save $50, but you are forced to pay the $99 no matter what...

I'd rather just take the gamble and pay $199 if necessary.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
All of these options sound like a rip-off. Apple only charges $199 for an out-of-warranty replacement (accidental damage or not). So, the AT&T deal is not worth it at all, and the SquareTrade you could potentially save $50, but you are forced to pay the $99 no matter what...

I'd rather just take the gamble and pay $199 if necessary.

I wouldn't say SquareTrade is a rip off. As you pointed out it would save you $50 the first time and worst case (or is it best case) you would only be out $99 never needing to use it. BUT, It would save $150 each time after that... I know some people who have gone through 3 or 4 in a 2 year period.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
State Farm does not cover smartphones. I think they ended this coverage right around the time the iPhone came out (surprise, surprise). I doubt many, if any, other major insurers offer such coverage either.

I live in fear of dropping and shattering my iPhone screen. Here's hoping the new model 1) has an easy-to-replace glass screen (and from the protype pics it looks like a fairly simple affair), and 2) has a more durable (Gorilla Glass?) screen that you are far less likely to need to replace.

"Did you know you can insure your cell phone for as little as $2.50 per month? Just ask your State Farm agent for the details." - Found on Google. Was posted in April by a State Farm agent on their official Facebook page.

All insurance companies will insure pretty much anything you want to pay to insure.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

Really? I had the 1st gen iPhone and kept it in a rubber case. I'm rough with my phones so figured I would protect it. The phone came out unscathed. When I bought my 3gs I decided no case and while I have a small scratch on the screen, breaking it has always been the least of my worries. I've dropped it, thrown it around, and have been very rough with it. The case certainly looks used, but they are much tougher than you think. My biggest concern has always been losing it Apple engineer style at a bar or something.

The only thing I do is turn the glass inward toward my leg while it's in my pocket (and obviously don't put things like keys in the same pocket). This protects from bumping. I had a friend who shattered the glass on his Sony phone playing air hockey when a puck jumped the table and hit him in the leg where his phone was in his pocket. Talk about dumb luck.

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
"Did you know you can insure your cell phone for as little as $2.50 per month? Just ask your State Farm agent for the details." - Found on Google. Was posted in April by a State Farm agent on their official Facebook page.

All insurance companies will insure pretty much anything you want to pay to insure.

Exactly...

jayfsee

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
Ask Your Insurer About A "Personal Articles Policy"

Look at a "Personal Articles Policy." I have one from State Farm.

Covers iPhone, Macbook Pro, iMac and three G-Drives for full replacement value, no deductible.

Cost is $65.00 per year.

It covers everything you can imagine including "I dropped it" and "I don't know where I left it".

Ask your own insurance company about this. I was really surprised.

I don't work for State Farm. This SquareTrade deal looks like a total ripoff.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
If the new iPhone has a 64GB option, the iPad REALLLLLY should have had the option for a little more. ( 128 or more )

Either way, I won't be getting another until the CPU is at LEAST 1.5 ghz

But I like this CO. and will probably be going with them for my next phone.................................................................whatever that might be:rolleyes:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
SquareTrade only provides repair coverage up to the value of your iphone/ipad. Have enough issues and you may use that up before the end of your term.

ATT coverage is for unlimited number of issues as long as you keep paying the fee.

Apples coverage is also for unlimited claims...but no accidental damage.

I am not convinced that SquareTrade really wants to fix anything and I can find no data on how much the fix vs. payout.

All that said I do have Squaretrade warranties as they seem to be the cheapest form of coverage.

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
Seems like a much better way to go for a warranty. But how is Square Trade's reputation for paying claims?

I bought a e-mu bi-amplified speaker on eBay. I elected to purchase the SquareTrade warranty for $14. Speaker arrived and within the warranty period it fitzed out. I filed a claim on SquareTrade's web site, and they almost immediately approved the claim. Sent me a downloadable shipper tag, I boxed it up, and within a few days they sent me a check. Painless. Awesome. I'll use them again for sure.

hydrvr

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Cal.
Have no fear, Square Trade is a great co., have used them for years. Replaced one HD, Repaired one other,no questions asked. All my stuff is insured by them HD TV, iPad, GPS, Phone, Blu-Ray player.Good Co.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
For someone who repeatedly breaks their phone, I could see this being a good idea. But for protection against the random "oh ****" moment, it seems kind of stupid considering you can get a brand new (well, refurb technically) from Apple for only $50 more if you break your iphone.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Why not just use regular renter’s or home insurance? Mine covers my gear when I’m away from my apartment too—or when I leave it in my car--and it does cover accidents and thefts. It has full-replacement-value coverage, and it covers electronics (sometimes those two things are extra). And it costs me about $125/year. Liberty Mutual I think (but I’m not 100% sure). Cost depends on where you live, I realize.
Mine does not cover cell phones so the iPhone is not covered. Other than that, it is the way to go.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
SquareTrade only provides repair coverage up to the value of your iphone/ipad. Have enough issues and you may use that up before the end of your term.

I am not convinced that SquareTrade really wants to fix anything and I can find no data on how much the fix vs. payout.

Most after-market extended warranties limit coverage to the purchase price - that allows them to limit their total liability, even if it's only for accounting purposes. That's also why stores will discount the item, not the warranty, when you buy the two together. I also laugh when a salesperson tells me I need a warranty on something marked down "because we'll replace it if it breaks and do you want to spend $500 for a new XXX (That's on sale for $300)?" because if it breaks all I get is $300 (even less when you factor in the warranty). Personally, I rarely but them because my CC provides 90 day protection my homeowner's policy covers the most common causes of a loss.

As for fix vs pay it's simply a cost benefit calculation. The few times I've bought and used a warranty, anything less than $200 resulted in me getting a check for the purchase price and sending the item back. BB did fix a digital camera, OTOH.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
So people who have less than 10 GBs of stuff should be forced to buy a massive capacity iPhone?

I'm pretty sure they'll take the ipod touch route and have what they did last year. The 16gb 3GS will be the base $99 model and the 4G will start at 32gb and 64gb.

I'm not convinced on the 4G honestly and even OS4 isn't enough to make me unjailbreak. I just don't want to give up tethering and I picture the 4G just having more of a leash on the customer. This will be the first time I think i'm going to use a phone until it dies.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I'm pretty sure they'll take the ipod touch route and have what they did last year. The 16gb 3GS will be the base $99 model and the 4G will start at 32gb and 64gb.

I'm not convinced on the 4G honestly and even OS4 isn't enough to make me unjailbreak. I just don't want to give up tethering and I picture the 4G just having more of a leash on the customer. This will be the first time I think i'm going to use a phone until it dies.

I would say that's a very good guess. Whether or not this 64 GBs actually comes is the big question. *Fingers crossed*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.