Squaretrade vs Applecare for Refurb'ed iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blueprint1983, Jul 2, 2011.

1. blueprint1983, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

macrumors 6502

I've recently purchased a 64 gig 3G + Wifi iPad (first generation) through AT&T. The problem is that Applecare vs Squaretrade refurbished warranties are quite similar on everything but a few areas-

Bear in mind that refurbished iPads are not treated the same on Squaretrade as newly purchased iPads. In fact, they'll be registered as a generic refurbished device and not an iPad per se.

Squaretrade (after talking to them on the phone, here's what I found out)
    -Two years after 30 days from the date of purchase. So in my case, the iPad will be covered until June 16th, 2013.
    -Cost: $86 w/ Fourth of July discount - 30% off. (two years)

Applecare
    -Applecare extended from when the manufacturer's warranty expires, so in this case, November 2012.
    -Cost: $68

Also-
    -Neither cover accidental or water damage. Squaretrade does but only for NEW iPads, not refurbished ones.

The thing about the iPad vs warranties for other products is that I could easily pass this on to ANYONE in my family for years to come; so even if I personally upgrade to the iPad 3, it doesn't mean the iPad 1 will leave my family. Consequently, it'd be good to think long term and get a warranty- I just can't decide between the two.

I will say one thing, I really don't like how Squaretrade sets their warranties for refurb products. :rolleyes:

Any comments or suggestions?

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

bump! :)

3. macrumors 6502

I like AppleCare. Gives you better access to getting the issue solved at an apple store.

4. macrumors 6502

Also AppleCare starts 2 years from date of purchase if it's a factory refurbed iPad.

5. macrumors 68030

fhall1

I don't think so.....

6. macrumors member

AppleCare if it is refurb

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i thought it basically adds another year from the manufacturer's warranty end date. So, although I purchased this in June, it's manufacturer's warranty ends in November, Applecare will extend it a year from then, or am I wrong?

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

I called Apple today to confirm my suspicions-

Applecare will only be added on from the end of the manufacturer's warranty from the original registration date, not the purchase date from ATT.

So Applecare won't get me 2 years of coverage, it'll get me about 16 months.