Squeaky keys on new PB 12"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by CaNMaC, Aug 16, 2004.

1. CaNMaC macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2004
    I recently received the PB that I ordered. Everything is in perfect condition, except two keys, "a" and "i". They make a squeaky sound when pressed and released (more when released). It feels like they are rubbing against something in the keyboard. They function fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has the same problem with their keyboard, and if there is a solution for it. While the keys work, the sounds really get on my nerves (also the vibration I feel as the keys spring back up). Thanks for your help! :(
  2. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    I have a new one,
    well - one month old.
    No squeeks.

My approach has always been to address computer problems right away. If there is an apple store nearby, drag it in for a checkup. :(
  3. CaNMaC thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2004
    Squeaky keys got the grease!

Good advice, TJ. I brought it in to an authorized Apple dealer. The technician told me that the plunger/rubber ring in the keyboard was too tight, thus making the squeaky sound. He was unable to fix it because the ring is embedded in the keyboard. So since it was still under warranty, he replaced my keyboard. I got it back the next day!

So now, no squeaks! :D
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    My new PB had a squeaky space bar, very annoying at first but it disappeared after a couple of weeks...now just PB heaven! :D
  5. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2004
    Yeah, my PB's first keyboard had broken lights on Caps Lock and Number Lock buttons, so I got the keyboard replaced, and the new keyboard was sqeaky, but after having the keyboard and typing on it, the sqeaks went away, and I too, am in Powerbook heaven.
  6. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I have a feeling that when i go out and by my 12" powerbook, and bring it home its not gonna work- my luck lol. I feel really bad for anyone who buys something like a nice computer or what ever and you get it and it does not work properly.