squeaky MacBook hinge

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iCheese, Feb 27, 2007.

1. iCheese macrumors regular

The right hinge on my MacBook is really squeaky and it is super annoying, does anyone know of any sort of lubricant I could safely put in there to eliminate the squeakiness? :eek:

Thanks

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

WD40.

Don't know if I would class it as safe, but it's a top notch lubricant.

3. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

Ya, I know about WD40 but I am not sure if it would be a good idea to use on the macbook. Thanks though.

4. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

By chance is your macbook black? Both black macbooks I have had squeaked. The white ones were fine... Just wondering.

5. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

It is a white macbook. Also, just to illustrate my problem better, the piece of the plastic case on the right side, next to the hinge on my macbook actually sticks out a little, so it is in constant contact with the hinge. It doesn't do this on the left side.

6. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I would call Apple, forget trying to mask it with a lubricant. Make them fix it...

7. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose I could bring it to my Apple Store and show it to a Genius, but I am not sure if I want to do that at this time. The computer functions fine right now, and I don't want to be without my computer. I have already had it serviced for other problems, and I don't want to go through the wait again. I also fear the Genius saying that it is within spec, and that they won't fix it... :( I guess I can always bring it in at some later point.

8. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

If you have a small enough screwdriver, tighten the screws on the back of the MacBook. I'm not entirely sure where I saw it (either MR or just Googled it), but it worked like a charm for me.

9. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

holy crap! thanks! worked great for me!

10. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

I think it worked for me as well, but I dont see how as the one piece of plastic is still touching the hinge :eek:

11. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

if it comes back, go to apple, and just tell them the problem, they either will fix it, or you can say your computer doesn't work because of it. (kidding, don't do it)

p.s. is it bad if their is a hole in the bottom right corner of the keyboard side. jw, it's decently big.

12. thrustinj macrumors newbie

Waxy Dental Floss

Take some waxy dental floss (flavor is your preference) and run it in between the squeaky hinge a few times back and forth and up and down.

The key is to make sure you rub some wax off into the hinge. This is much safer than WD-40 or any other liquid.

That will stop it from squeaking. It worked beautifully on my black MacBook.

P.S. The loosening and tightening of the screws almost got rid of all of the squeak, but I thought it was pointless to loosen and possibly loose screws.

13. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

And WD-40 is a water displacer (get it? W.D.) - it is not a good lubricant. It penetrates and removes water, so it can free up a hinge for a short time, or clear water out of your ignition system, but it does not provide long-term lubrication, partly because it attracts dirt like crazy.