Squeaky Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mduser63, Oct 2, 2005.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

My new Mighty Mouse is really squeaky. It wasn't squeaky the first day I had it, but now it's really bad. I love it otherwise, but the squeaking is pretty annoying. Anybody else have this problem? Any way to fix it (lubrication)?

2. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Feed it cheese. It shuts my mouse up :D

Seriously, though, what part is squeaking? The trackball, the clicker, or just when you move the mouse?

3. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

mine squeaks too, a new phenomenom...just started

4. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

It's the clicker that squeaks. The scrollball is silent except for the speaker providing feedback (really good design IMO).

5. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I'm thinking there may be gunk in between the clicker and the bottom of the mouse. If you look at the bottom of the mouse, there should be a small line going around the edge. Try to clean out anything in there (a business card always works for my mouse).

6. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

Well, I checked but I would have been really surprised if it was dirty in there. I've only had my Mighty Mouse since Thursday night (3 days ago), and it hasn't been anywhere except on my (clean) mouse pad.

7. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

After searching around the internet for a while, I found a bunch of people complaining about their squeaky Mighty Mouses. Some people recommended applying pressure/prying the base of the mouse to pop it into position. Apparently, a lot of MMs are not really aligned right out of the box, and the plastic rubs together when you click them. Anyway, I think I managed to fix the squeak. It's been about an hour since I tried to pop the bottom back into place, and so far my mouse hasn't squeaked at all.