Squeaky Spacebar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coastertux, Jul 30, 2006.

1. coastertux macrumors regular

I have had my MBP for about a week now and the spacebar has started to squeak a bit, any suggestions on a fix?

2. FragTek macrumors 6502

Mine does it too, but it's intermittent. Hasn't gotten to the point of popping off the key and cleaning it but maybe some day.

There's a guide at ifixit (i think thats where it is) on how to take apart the keyboard assemble and take off the keys. That should get it fixed up rather quick.

Typing this message right now I don't have the squeak at all and thinking about it I haven't hear it squeak in about a week. Not sure what triggers it to start squeaking...

Hope you get it fixed, but you can definately get the problem sorted.

3. coastertux thread starter macrumors regular

At further inspection, the squeak only occurs when I press the right side, the left side doesn't squeak. Any suggestions?

4. FragTek macrumors 6502

Mine's the same way. Suggestion = take it apart and clean it like in my first post...

5. coastertux thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but I couldn't find the instructions...and I don't exactly want to take my computer apart.

6. FragTek macrumors 6502

Tiz the only way to fix it mate. Or you can just live with it until the squeak decides to go away on its own.

I suppose you could take it to an Apple Store and they would take it apart and fix it for you.

7. mpw Guest

thekeyboardonmyiMacathomehasaspacebarthatsqeakstoo.ItgotsoannoyingIjuststoppedusingit.

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

haha. i would recommend that the OP take it to the apple store. seems like something they could easily fix for you, and probably free of charge.

9. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

My 12" PowerBook's spacebar started squeaking a few months ago and it drove me nuts. Not only did it squeak, but it was harder to push on one side.

Anyway, I just popped off the key (scary if you've never done it before), cleaned out the little bits of dirt, and put it right back in. Squeak fixed, never returned.

10. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Do what everybody else suggests; it's hardly a warranty voiding situation, and if you really mess it up (which you won't) just take it to the Apple Store - they'll fix it for you!

11. chiefillini macrumors regular

:confused: I just got my new C2D MBP and the right side is already doing this after 2 days. I am thinking about taking it by the store this weekend. You think they will do anything about it?

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

My MacBook's space bar squeaks sometimes. It comes and goes, I don't even notice it anymore. I'm thinking maybe it went away because he hasn't done it for a few weeks.

13. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Mine does the same. I tend to only use the right side since I am right handed. It is a big deal but it is annoying. I might go to the Apple store and just ask them to take it off, I can take it form there, I am just a bit nervous about taking it off, I have broken keys trying to take them off. But, i do hate to bother a "genius" for such a stupid thing.

14. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

Must be a trend here. Mine too, but only on the right side.

15. chiefillini macrumors regular

Is anybody out there left hand dominant or is this only a right handed person problem. I am hoping that it may just be a "new" item probelm and after using for awhile will go away otherwise going to use my apple care and somehoe try to get fixed. seems like something basic to fix for a 2 grand machine.

16. Zadillo macrumors 65816

Just an update on this. I took my C2D MBP to the Apple Store today, as I had also started to notice this "squeaky" spacebar issue.

They took it in the back and 20 minutes later brought it back, having replaced the spacebar and I think some of the mechanism underneath. I forget the exact explanation, but they said that there were some sort of clips or something that might have come loose, and were resulting in the "squeaking" sound.

It's no longer making the squeaking sound at all, and the only noise the spacebar makes is a general "clicking" sound if I really bang it hard (I asked them about that, since none of the other keys do that, and they explained that's just the nature of the keyboard....... I notice that my desktop keyboard is also like that, where the spacebar is louder than the rest of the keys).

17. wal9000 macrumors member

I'll trade you, mine squeaks only on the left side, and I'm left handed.

;)

18. badtz macrumors member

mine also squeaks, it's getting very annoying. Must take it in this weekend.

sigh. C2D MBP

19. Zadillo macrumors 65816

As I mentioned above, if you take it in, it's a 15 minute fix for them, and no more squeaks.