SSD and Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thefizzle657, Oct 24, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I just bought a new Crucial M4 256GB SSD and am planning on installing Windows 7 as soon as it comes in the mail. Is there anything different about the process as compared to installing on a HDD? I've read that enabling TRIM in Windows can mess up the OS X partition, about aligning the partitions properly, etc. and to be honest I don't know much about this stuff. Any advice? Thanks.

2. macrumors 65816

I just installed like normal and patched the MBR to enable AHCI. This gave me the real / actual / expected performance of my OCZ Vertex 3s. There are additional tweaks available to maximize performance but I had already achieved 500MB/s read/writes. If there is any change I suggest is enabling AHCI. The down side of no bootcamp control panel and no sleep are far out weighed by the performance gain.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Is there anything in Bootcamp that should be changed before enabling AHCI? All I've ever done is change the boot partition from Windows to Mac OS X and have never bothered to mess around with anything else in it.