SSD for 2009 mbp

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lucas Godfrey, Nov 4, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Lucas Godfrey

Jul 12, 2010
    i have a Macbook pro 17 from 2009 and I've recently bought a ocz agility 3, with rated read and write speeds of 550/500.

Now the MacBooks s-ata is listed as version 2 which should mean that it supports 300mb/s or so (given overhead and ect ect.)

but it also says "negotiated link speed 1.5 gigabit".

When i receive my drive what kinda speeds should i be expected to get? 150mb/s? 300mb/s? 500mb/s? or something else altogether

Note:i chose that drive because i assumed incorrectly that it could be supported at full speed. i didn't think the chipset would bottleneck it...
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Check for a firmware update on OCZ' support and forum sites for that model and check yours via System Profiler, since I had the same problem with my 2009 MBP (17", 2.8 GHz) and an OCZ Vertex 3 128 GB SSD. A firmware update fixed the Negotiated Link Speed from 1.5 to 3 and I got 190 MB/s write and 220 MB/s read speeds.

I now have a Crucial M4 256 GB (was on sale) and now get a bit faster write and read speeds, but that is not really noticeable. The random access times are what makes the SSD really stand out.
  3. macrumors 65816

Oct 26, 2009
    Down the rabbit hole
    I also purchased the M4 and have really noticed much snappier performance in my 09 MBP. This and the Samsung 830 seem to do well in reviews -- I'm leary of the SandForce drives -- and thus my choice, though the Sandforce drives are rated as faster.