SSD in early 2008 Macbook (4,1)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jayceee, Nov 10, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about putting an SSD in my early 2008 Macbook. However, since it only has an SATA I controller my throughput is going to be limited to ~187MB/s. This isn't particularly fast for a modern SSD, but should still be much faster than my stock HDD.

Has anyone else done this? Do you notice the missing throughput? Is the upgrade still worth it?

Thanks - J

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

You will only notice the difference when doing large file transfers where the extra bandwidth could be utilized. In normal usage, it won't really matter. Besides, you still get the ultra-low latency which is the whole point of SSD.

3. macrumors 68030

tkermit

A few months ago, I put an Intel X25M-G2 SSD in my Early '06 Macbook and the thing just flies now - an SSD really makes for a world of difference, even on SATA-1. So yes, it's definitely worth it :)

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Great - thanks for the feedback. This is my compromise purchase instead buying one of the new MB Airs!

5. macrumors 6502a

I'm interested in doing the same thing. How much do 256GB SSD SATAI drives cost and where can I find them? Crucial UK lists £441 (although this is a 6GB/s drive which is a waste for my early 2008 MacBook), more than half the cost of a new MacBook! Any suggestions?

6. macrumors regular

i can't offer too much assistance.. and sorry if i'm hijacking the thread, but do you ssd guys notice a bump in battery life??

7. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

~400£ is the cheapest I could find. 256GB SSDs are still very expensive

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/233257