SSD iPods ?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by rwdebes, Apr 16, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

What you guys think , will take years so we can have a ssd ipod ? the only barrier i can see is the price , since already have 64gb and 128gb models.

2. Retired

psychofreak

Well, the touch is now solid state, and by the time that gets to 256GB, it will likely replace the iPod Classic line completely.

3. macrumors 6502

No they are too thick for things like an iPod or iPhone. Those will just keep regular chips. I don't think SSD's will make it to laptops.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

too thick ? i dont think can be thicker than the first 3gens of ipods..
    btw SSD is more about performance and stability than size.. i dont think the size is a big problem , i saw a SSS HD is not that thick.

5. macrumors 6502

It's what your saying, if an iPod get's back as thick as the third gen, then they won't do SSD, but do chips only.

6. macrumors 603

roland.g

Well laptops do actually have SSDs. Sonys, MBA. Soon it will be an option for the other lines too. As far as iPods, it will be some time further along. They are not too thick. The SSD in the MBA is a special single platter that is thinner. It could use one of those, which are available in at least 64 right now, but at a $1000 premium, I don't think so.

7. macrumors 6502

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

cmon they use those drives on the macbook air.. i can see those in ipods in a few years.. but like i said , the price is a huge barrier for now..
    when you guys think we will see the price of SSD drives going downhill ?

9. Guest

Sky Blue

even though they're already are?

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

i can see ipods , iphones , cellphones using SSD.

11. macrumors 6502

Typo:p was talking about iPod

12. macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Too thick and too expensive.

13. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

But what's the point? SSD is all about Flash memory that has similar erase / write characteristics to hard drives -- as opposed to conventional Flash memory which is poor at random writes and erases. Ordinary Flash does quite well at reading -- and the bit rates of audio and small screen video really don't require super high speed reads.

iPods are primarily a write-once read-many application, which conventional Flash memory does admirably well with. The only real advantage to SSD would show up when using it in disk mode. And a very small advantage when syncing or writing content to the iPod, but those are still bulk write operations, not very random.