Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
So the SSD is PATA? The Apple site, which makes it clear on numerous pages that the 80GB is P-ATA, but make no comment on the interface of the SSD, simply saying that it is a 64GB SSD.

Anybody looked on a system profiler and have information to share? Not sure that any of the reviewers of people who have torn down units have had a 64GB SDD model to examine.

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Hardmac.com quotes "Several readers asked us about compatible SSDs to be installed in MacBook Air.
You will need 1.8" PATA SSDs, with a 5mm thickness and featuring a ZIF socket. As there are different sizes of ZIF, you will need the smallest version.
To our knowledge, only SSDs from Samsung or Supertalent are compatible with the MacBook Air, with storage capacity toping at 64GB.
"

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
Hardmac.com quotes "Several readers asked us about compatible SSDs to be installed in MacBook Air.
You will need 1.8" PATA SSDs, with a 5mm thickness and featuring a ZIF socket. As there are different sizes of ZIF, you will need the smallest version.
To our knowledge, only SSDs from Samsung or Supertalent are compatible with the MacBook Air, with storage capacity toping at 64GB.
"
Mine comes in Monday and will Have DIY Pics of a SSD being installed here
http://www.thinkmacbookair.com

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
It's PATA. I confirmed this with a demo unit today.

A couple of days ago I was reconsidering my order when I found out it was probably PATA. Because that may well hinder my ability to put a larger drive in next year.

But realistically, I looked at my collection of Dell, Sager, IBM, Apple laptops in my closet and around my family (hand-me-downs) and realized I end up getting a new laptop every year any way.

And I've never really upgraded any of them.

But, if you want to keep a laptop 2 or more years, it's something to consider.

JonnyRD

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
1.8" SSDs

"

Yes, the Samsung will work. But so will the Mtron 1.8" SSD. This is PATA interface with a ZIF connector. It is 5mm in height & I have one in my MacBook Air.

AIRniloc

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2008
anozira
Yes, the Samsung will work. But so will the Mtron 1.8" SSD. This is PATA interface with a ZIF connector. It is 5mm in height & I have one in my MacBook Air.

i was thinking about scoring one of M-Trons...ever since i sold my MBPro (which had a 64 GB Samsung SSD running ), i've missed my super-fast seek times and boot times..

right now, the M-Tron seems to be the only suitable choice for my rev A MBAir, as i don't want the slow read/write speeds of the samsung..

may i ask how much free space you have left after installing 10.5.5?

also, are the 100 mb/s speeds actually realized with the PATA interface?

thanks in advance...

ExcelonGT

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Are there benchmarks on the MTRON vs Samsung SSD?

I originally bought my rev a MBA with the 80gb HD back in Feb. Shortly after, I swapped the HD for the 64gb SSD (did the transplant myself)

I'm on the fence about upgrading to to a Rev B air with a 128gb. I dont think I can sell my rev A for enough to help cover the cost of a rev B/w 128gb

Does anyone know of any 128GB SSD's being sold on the market that have PATA-iDE, 5mm thick, and ZIF connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.