Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachg18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
My computer has been running off an old HD for a while now.

Not only am I worried about it dying soon, but I heard an SSD would significantly increase my computers speed and performance.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good SSD to get? I am running a MacBook Pro Mid 2010.

I already have 8GB Memory. Running El Capitan 10.11.13

Thanks!!!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Samsung or Crucial are great brands. But honestly you can't go wrong with any SSD brand. Just buy whatever's cheapest (if memory serves, Sandisk ones are currently the best value)

zachg18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
Samsung or Crucial are great brands. But honestly you can't go wrong with any SSD brand. Just buy whatever's cheapest (if memory serves, Sandisk ones are currently the best value)

Thanks! Do you recommend buying online or in-store, in terms of price?

I also imagine I need to make sure the specs work my computer, since it is rather old. Someone had mentioned something about SATA II 3GB compatibility or something...

Thank you :)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

I also imagine I need to make sure the specs work my computer, since it is rather old. Someone had mentioned something about SATA II 3GB compatibility or something...

Online, for sure.

You can buy whatever SATA drive you want, but if you buy sata III your MBP won't be able to take advantage of the faster speed.

Reactions: archi_130w1

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Online.

Pretty much all SSDs are SATA III. SATA is backwards compatible, so any SSD will do. However as your machine is SATA II, it means you shouldn't throw the wallet at an SSD, as you won't really see any benefits from a more expensive one. Go for the cheapest.

zachg18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
Online, for sure.

You can buy whatever SATA drive you want, but if you buy sata III your MBP won't be able to take advantage of the faster speed.

I hate to sound stupid, but what does MBP stand for? Thanks!

zachg18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
Online.

Pretty much all SSDs are SATA III. SATA is backwards compatible, so any SSD will do. However as your machine is SATA II, it means you shouldn't throw the wallet at an SSD, as you won't really see any benefits from a more expensive one. Go for the cheapest.

Do you think I will still notice a significant difference in my machine functionality/speed by upgrading to a SSD or mine too old to notice much of a difference.
[doublepost=1474918978][/doublepost]
MacBook Pro :)

Well, I feel stupid! Haha! Thanks :)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Do you think I will still notice a significant difference in my machine functionality/speed by upgrading to a SSD or mine too old to notice much of a difference.
[doublepost=1474918978][/doublepost]

Well, I feel stupid! Haha! Thanks :)

You'd notice an absolutely massive difference with an SSD upgrade, even in a laptop as seasoned as yours. In practically every machine, the hard drive is the bottleneck.

The system will boot in no time at all. Applications will open almost instantaneously. It's the best upgrade you can get. You'll feel like you've got a new Mac after installing one. :)

Reactions: zachg18

zachg18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
You'd notice an absolutely massive difference with an SSD upgrade, even in a laptop as seasoned as yours. In practically every machine, the hard drive is the bottleneck.

The system will boot in no time at all. Applications will open almost instantaneously. It's the best upgrade you can get. You'll feel like you've got a new Mac after installing one. :)

Amazing! Should have done this a long time ago! Thanks for all the help :)

zachg18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
Ok one last question. I promise :)

I am looking at the Samsung 500GB SSD and there is 750 EVO and 850 EVO. The 750 is cheaper. Is there any advantage to getting the 850 for a computer as old as mine?

Thanks!

zachg18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
Nah... I would just spend the money on beer and get the 750. here is a pretty good summary of the differences.

Haha thanks!

That summary (and some of the comments), made it seem like the 750 did not perform very well though compared to the 850...but i may have misunderstood what he was saying

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Haha thanks!

That summary (and some of the comments), made it seem like the 750 did not perform very well though compared to the 850...but i may have misunderstood what he was saying

Only under very heavy loads... unless you are doing some heavy lifting there, I would not worry about the difference.

Reactions: zachg18

zachg18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
I'm also noticing that the 750 is SATA 6GB and the 850 is SATA 3 GB...not sure if that makes a difference or not, especially since I believe my machine is SATA II 3Gb..

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm also noticing that the 750 is SATA 6GB and the 850 is SATA 3 GB...not sure if that makes a difference or not, especially since I believe my machine is SATA II 3Gb..
I think your are misreading (mixing) the specs there... they are both SATA III (which is 6Gbps) drives.

zachg18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
I think your are misreading (mixing) the specs there... they are both SATA III (which is 6Gbps) drives.

Hmm. For some reason under specs on their Amazon pages the 750 says Memory is 6GB and the 850 says Memory is 3GB..
[doublepost=1475002978][/doublepost]Apologies. The Hardware Interface has the 750 at 6GB and the 850 at 3 GB (screenshot attached)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 3.01.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 3.01.09 PM.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 319

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hmm. For some reason under specs on their Amazon pages the 750 says Memory is 6GB and the 850 says Memory is 3GB..
[doublepost=1475002978][/doublepost]Apologies. The Hardware Interface has the 750 at 6GB and the 850 at 3 GB (screenshot attached)
I'm not sure where you are looking, but when I look them up on Amazon they both have exactly this same wording.

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 12.03.06 PM.png

You can see the specs in the Anandtech review that they are SATA III. No way could a SATA II (3Gbps) drive run those speeds shown in the review.

These are both SATA III drives for sure. You can trust me, I am from the Internet. :D

zachg18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
I'm not sure where you are looking, but when I look them up on Amazon they both have exactly this same wording.

View attachment 660051

You can see the specs in the Anandtech review that they are SATA III. No way could a SATA II (3Gbps) drive run those speeds shown in the review.

These are both SATA III drives for sure. You can trust me, I am from the Internet. :D

Haha alright, guess I'm going with the 750 then! Thanks!

Reactions: Weaselboy

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'd pay for the good stuff. 850 Pro or the MX200. Avoid the Evo and the MX300; both use TLC NAND. You can grab a 500 GB MX200 for around $170 now. If you wait a month, you might be able to snag it or an 850 Pro for $15-30 cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.