SSD Tweaks in Mac OS

Discussion in 'OS X' started by dgdosen, Feb 26, 2009.

1. macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Does anyone have any knowledge of SSD tweaks for Mac OS to either:

a) extend the life of an SSD drive
    b) make the environment faster?

I've seen more than a few tweaks for Windows - more because they're needed, but still think there's room for improvement in Mac OS.

I'd be happy to maintain a list of tweaks based on replies to this thread:

MAC OS Changes:

App Changes:

Firefox:

Move your cache to RAM: (From http://mydellmini.com/forum/windows-7-ultimate-ssd-speed-tweaks-t2540.html):
    Description: If you use Firefox, there's a way to write cached files to RAM instead of the hard disk. This is not only faster, but will significantly reduce writes to the SSD while using the browser.
    Instructions: Open Firefox -> Type about:config into the address bar -> Enter -> double-click browser.cache.disk.enable to set the value to False -> Right-Click anywhere -> New -> Integer -> Preference Name "disk.cache.memory.capacity" -> value memory size in KB. Enter 32768 for 32MB, 65536 for 64MB, 131072 for 128MB, etc. -> restart Firefox ​

2. macrumors 6502a

jazz1

Is there any similar tweak for Safari Beta4?

3. macrumors 6502a

Seconded. I'd rather Safari use up my massive amuont of ram than try to write to disk all the time. I happens a lot when I view large images.

4. macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You guys may want to read through this thread on the OCZ forums for the Vertex SSD's... http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52845

Note that this guy who previously worked at Apple had the following to say about RAM Disks...

Additional comments...

It seems there's really little that needs to be done or can be done.