SSH Client - Like Putty?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ckeck, Jul 17, 2006.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Anyone know of a good SSH client similar to Putty?

Open to any suggestions...*somewhat* new to Macs and cannot seem to find anything :(

Thanks!

2. scott182 macrumors member

Simple. Open Terminal -- it's in Applications -> Utilities. Among all the other standard Unix/BSD utilities, there is an SSH client. Just enter the ssh command you want to run. If you are coming from Windows and aren't familiar with ssh, the typical command you will run is:

Code:
    ssh username@host.name

3. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Thanks...I know I can do this in terminal, but the interface is pretty weak and I am looking for something with more options and something I can customize more.

4. scott182 macrumors member

Sorry...I'm not sure what else you would be looking for in an SSH client. I thought Putty was just a command-line SSH client as well. There is a program called Fugu, but I think that is more of an SFTP client.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you want SCP (ala WinSCP) access try Cyberduck or Fugu
    The only extra feature putty gives is saving sessions, you can replicate this by editing the .profile file (it's in your home directory) and adding this line to it

alias gemma='ssh user@server.com'

where gemma is replaced by the required alias, check out that it isn't already a command in terminal first by typing it into terminal.

Code:
    Vigor12:~ Matthew$ gemma
    -bash: gemma: command not found

should be returned if gemma isn't a real UNIX command (which it kinda obviously isn't) so that would be an acceptable alias, if its a real UNIX command (eg rm) then that command will be overwritten and that is never a good thing.

6. reh macrumors 6502a

command-line ssh may not have a pretty GUI, but it's certainly not weak. It'll have any option needed.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Just realised the .profile is invisible click here for instructions on how to make hidden files visible, and then logout or press Command-Option-Escape and relaunch Finder. (replace the true in the terminal command with false to hide them again)

8. howesey macrumors 6502a

Putty will compile and run on any UNIX or Unix like system as well as Windows

Get the source and make.