SSH/Samba forward problem (error -36)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tuartboy, Feb 17, 2007.

1. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I have been trying various solutions to gain file access to a remote Win2003 system. I am familiar with SSH forwards and I have successfully been able to forward RDP ports to this machine, but Samba (port 139) is just causing problems. I have tried using an unused port as well as overriding the default 139 on my powerbook. I can ping 127.0.0.1:139 and the ttl is lower than the loopback ttl, so I know it has successfully connected and is communicating.

This is my problem: finder keeps giving me an error code -36 every time I attempt to connect to the remote system through the forward? Does anyone have a clue what is going on? I am at my wit's end as what to do.

Hamachi seems to be having problems as well...

Attached Files:

2. adav macrumors member

a remote server cannot be the ip address 127.0.0.1 as that is the localhost address, i.e. yourself. You can't access yourself in tat manner.

3. tuartboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Well, that is *sort of* true.

127.0.0.1 is the loopback IP for localhost. However, when you forward a port with SSH it forwards from your local loopback port to the remote machine.

For example: you can forward 3389 on your local machine to 3389 on the remote machine. After you do this you just tell Remote Desktop to connect to 127.0.0.1 (it defaults to 3389) and it will be automatically forwarded to the remote machine. This is how a forward works.

The problem is not the loopback IP, it is the error -36 code.

4. adav macrumors member

kl, i didnt know about that (just did a quick wikipedia too).

maybe it would be a good idea to just test the server connect using the real IP address of the server to see if the problem's between the server and your pc, or in the SSH configuration?

i'll shutup now ;)

5. tuartboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

The server is buried deep in an academic network and the only way to access it is by tunneling through another, public server. The setup is actually more complicated then i let on, but trust me, it does work. I have a remote desktop session from that machine running right now on another virtual desktop.

Like I said before, I can ping 127.0.0.1:139 and the ttl (time to live) is 53 instead of the 64 it should be for a loopback ping. That indicates the packet has made some stops along the way and therefore is going to the remote machine.

It's just that stinking error -36. I hope someone knows what is going on, because I can't find much help online.

6. setatakahashi macrumors newbie

It seems that you can connect to the remote machine using other services. Port 139 isn't blocked by a firewall? I don't believe that's possible to target a port with ping. Ping only replies to ICMP requests. Try to telnet 127.0.0.1 139 and tell if it connects.