SSH timesout, FTP too

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mechcozmo, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My Quicksilver server is having issues of late.
    SSH times out when I attempt to connect into it from my PowerBook. I can ping it. I can SSH on the Quicksilver to localhost so I know that SSH is working.

Thanks to Pure-FTPd Manager, FTP works great. Except for the fact that GUI clients don't seem to work... CLI clients work fine.

:confused: Anything I should do? Permissions are good...

2. ghostee macrumors 6502

Is there a firewall on the router between the two? Or maybe a software based firewall on the PB?

3. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Put this in your ssh_config file:

ServerAliveInterval 120
    ServerAliveCountMax 10
    TCPKeepAlive yes

4. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Router has the Quicksilver hanging off of the DMZ. PowerBook firewall is off.

Hate to sound stupid, but where would I find that ssh_config file? I've done some config file editing ("playing") before but still need a bit of guidance to the file's location.

5. belvdr macrumors 601

That's sshd_config, and it is usually found in /etc or /etc/ssh. ssh_config is for the ssh client.

6. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

No, it IS ssh_config. If he is ssh'into into another machine and it is timing out . It is found in /private/etc

This is done on the machine you are connecting from.

7. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

But the fact that the GUI-based FTP clients also timeout make me hesitant... I will try your suggesting now and report back momentarily.

EDIT: Well, SSH is working quite nicely now. Thanks! But eh, why would I need to do this? And any ideas about the FTP part of it?

8. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

I think it is more of a security issue with ssh, but not sure.

You are using Pure-Ftp. There are timeout variable in the conf of Pure-Ftp. Are you sure it isnt that? Can you ftp via a terminal and still reproduce the same results? Ok, I see you said that CLI works fine. I would look at the ftp program you are using, and blame it, until you can prove otherwise.

9. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Transmit, CyberDuck, and axyFTP all have issues. But the FTP command in the Terminal works. :confused:

However, they occasionally work from inside the network but often times will timeout. I really am not sure where the problem could lie, seeing as they did work at some time before this.

10. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Meh...

I've started getting this again:
    Code:
    Connection closed by 192.168.10.250
    This is internal and external of the network. :(

And the FTP thing I'm working on... CyberDuck seems happy.