SSX Blur for Wii is Sweet!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Artofilm, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Hey,

I just thought that I would let everyone know that SSX Blur for Wii is amazing!
    I was doubting buying it, but after I did, I personally think it's the funnest Wii game I've played yet!

If you're thinking about buying it, buy it, you won't be sorry!:D

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Have you played the other SSX games? What's your opinion on SSX3 compared to Blur?

I'm probably gonna buy Blur, but I got pretty bored with SSX3 (the last one I played besides the On Tour demo).

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I was thinking of picking this up on Friday when it's released in Europe.

Or I may hold off till the end of the month when : Mercury Meltdown Revolution and early next month for Wing Island.

Both will probably float my boat more than SSX. I really dont like games that use both the Nunchuck & Wii-Remote so far.....

OffTopic - Apfhex - your website is really nice but your e logo looks too much like the € sign ;)

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

That game is supposed to be awful.

5. ericsthename macrumors regular

Hey, I know I posted this before, but now that someone has started a thread on it, I'll post again: SSX Blur is awesome.

The graphics are great, and the gameplay is really fun. There ARE bad reviews bashing the controls out there, but it is my firm belief that these are simply inferior players who either dont have the desire to actually learn the controls, or else they simply don't have the "skill".

I doubt the latter, as the controls are no more difficult - once learned - than any other SSX game I've played.

I like blur a lot more than SSX3 - Blur is a sort of combination of that game and SSX Tricky, which works well in my opinion.

You have the element of "peaks" from SSX 3, where you could freeride between courses on the mountain. However, by pressing +, you can just go to the map and select a course you haven't completed.

The Uber tricks in the game require concentration - you won't just press "b"and "z" and pull off a sick trick. You have to use the wiimote to draw a shape. Most of people's problems with this, is that they try to just flick their wrists really really fast to pull one off. You actually need to move your hand in the motion if you want to have any kind of consistency.

The music in this game is all done by Junkie XL - not as big here in North America, but he does an excellent job of creating music that flows with the game - in fact, the rhythm and tune are linked to your speed such that if you come to a full stop, so does the music. All in all, the music is very well matched to the game, and certainly won't annoy anyone (unlike many of the games featuring "EA Trax")

So, if you're looking for a game with a GREAT single-player campaign (something lacking in many wii titles) then look no further. The best EA game in a lonnng time in my opinion.

6. Artofilm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

I have not played the old SSX game, Blur would be my first.

Although, I used to play the old "CoolBoarders" series of games on PSX.
    I guess that's where SSX got some ideas and modeled their games after.

7. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I think blur is a great game, but for me, the controls took a little getting used to. I would've liked a slightly more extensive multiplayer, but everything else about the game is really solid.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What I find strange is that EA who traditionally are £5 more than a standard console game (so £44.99 instead of £39.99)

However they have made all it's Wii releases in the UK a RRP of £29.99 under-cutting Nintendo & others ?

But strangely are still more for 360 games ?

So not sure the reason or the policy for that at all...

Are you serious :( Damn'it I wanted me some pilotwings style fun.

Just when I think there are some blips on the release schedule that might interest. :( :(

9. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I'm considering SSX to purchase, however I'm wondering how enjoyable this game in race mode only, as I love skiing/snowboarding type games but find the fantasy trick element (both visually and logistically) dilutes the rush of raw speed.

10. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

The race mode is real cool. Trust me, with this came you'll feel the rush of raw speed.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Last snowboarding game I enjoyed was CoolBoaders 3. I'll have to play this before getting it but it sounds quite good!

Might even pick up Sonic. An age old Sonic fan told me it's actually quite good, and that it goes against every other 3D Sonic and plays well.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It is 'quite' good. I'm enjoying it - for the most part it works, but it's just the reversing and backing up that really feels broken. Sonic walking backwards - you can almost here the lorry backing up alarm.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Pretty much what he said. "The best 3D Sonic game", but then that's not really a hard status to achieve.

Used to work with a guy who developed Flickies Island, said the guys put a curse on those who wanted to make Sonic in 3D. :D

14. BydoEmpire macrumors newbie

I love SSX Blur as well. The first time I played it, I hated it, but then I realized a few things:

1) The default "tilt the nunchuck to move" controls are unplayable. Switch to pure analog movement and it's perfect.

2) The instructions and description of how to do ubertricks is terrible. You don't "draw" on the screen at all. You hold the wiimote parallel to the floor and do the motion. It seems to use only the motion sensor, NOT whether or not you're pointing at the screen. Once I realized this, I could pull off uberticks 95% of the time, and it worked great.

Once I figured those things out, I got completely hooked, and now I completely love it. I only rented SSX3 once and played it briefly, so I'm not super familiar with the series, but Blur plays really well. Pulling off basic tricks is easy, intuitive and fun, and once you get the hang of ubertricks, they add a nice extra layer. The game is also unusually polished - I love how the cursor on the menu interacts with the snowflakes. You don't see those little touches in many EA games (or non-Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles, for that matter).

The game looks gorgeous and runs smoothly most of the time, although there are occasional frame rate hiccups (one occurs in one of the early tutorials that's particularly nasty). I found the audio to be rather bland and basic, but not offensively bad. While I like the design of the menus, there are some odd things. There is a hidden "ubertrick practice" mode buried in the pause menu, along with the ability to enter your tournaments. You'd think something as important to the flow of hte game as entering tournaments wouldn't be hidden in teh pause menu (you have to scroll up to see that the option even exists). But despite these little quirks, the game is excellent.

15. BydoEmpire macrumors newbie

I totally agree. I like Sonic on the Wii quite a lot. It does have some clunky and rough spots here and there, but the only thing really broken is backing up (it's difficult to control and the camera doesn't work when you're going backwards). Fortunately, you don't have to do it that often. This is another game that grew on me the more I played it. It's also pretty tough, but has a "just one more try" addictiveness.

16. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Sounds fun! Now I just have to decide if I want to get this or Burnout Dominator first. ;)

Thanks. :D Heh, I didn't think of that — the usual comments I get are that it looks like the "power" symbol on electronics.

17. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

why cant i do the slalom?? the turns are too tight...some help please

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm going to buy this game hopefully in a month. I have too many games on my plate right now. :eek:

<]=)

19. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

The only let-downs for me in regards to SSX Blur is the complete lack of voice acting. It was a big part of character personalities in the past, and now I feel like there's no reason to choose any one character over another. They're all equally attractive. It makes it feel a bit more shallow, takes a little out of the competitive feel of it.

Also the fact that you can't choose what uber trick you want to do at a certain time is kind of frustrating.

20. ericsthename macrumors regular

Ya, the lack of voices is a bit offputting, but as for the ubertricks, it gives you an onscreen suggestion, but you can do any of them... That wasn't entirely clear to me at first either.

21. ericsthename macrumors regular

the slalom events are bitches... the first one put me off the game for a couple hours, then I mustered enough willpower to bear down and beat it.

they're hands down the worst part of the game, even if they require the most skill and patience.

you just have to experiment with a few different lines down the course. AND MAKE SURE that you don't focus on doing it fast, just hit all the gates. if you go at a snails pace but hit all the gates you'll come in first. you can afford to miss about 1-3 gates and still win or come in 2nd.

also, pay attention to the fact that the tourneys are always cumulative, so if you come in second or third in the slaloms, but you win most of the other events, you'll still place 1st....

22. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Blur's controls definitely rock a whole hell of a lot. Too bad the original and Tricky were the only ones with really great level design. Damn that consistent mountain feel of 3 and on, I really hate it that all the levels look the same. How can you call a game a best of without Mercury City Meltdown, bah!

And is it just me or are all the levels insanely short...?

But yeah, the controls, definitely amazing. First time in ages that a game presented a unique challenge that made me feel like I actually needed to learn it.

23. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

I think I'll have to pick this game up!

These seem to be the kinds of 'mainstream' games which the Wii's controls excel at. NFS:Carbon is my all-time favourite game of that genre now, purely because the Wiimote works so well with it. It's really engrossing to have that direct link between your movements and the movement of the character on-screen. Mashing buttons, wiggling sticks and hitting d-pads just don't cut it for racing games for me now. Looks like Blur would do the same for snowboarding!

£29.99 you say? Fantastic!

24. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

25. BydoEmpire macrumors newbie

I haven't had time to play in a while and I'm still on Peak 1, but i think you just have to beat a tournament or two. That would be my guess but I don't know for sure.