SSX on the Wii..

Discussion in 'Games' started by AJ Muni, Feb 27, 2007.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Well the game came out here in the states today, and I wanted to kno if anyone has bought it, whats it like? The control scheme looks real cool with the wii controllers so I'm anxious to find out more about it. I cant seem to find any reviews about it..

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wow it's out already ? :eek:

Yeah would like to know what it's like too. All the previews & hands-on I've read have basically said racing down the slope is easy enough, but pulling off any special moves, especially the uber ones is near impossible on the wii remote, and it seems to be yet another game where the wii control scheme is not really best suited.

So I'm like :eek: as to whether to bother. But would like to hear what people who have bought it think.

3. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I've got it on order via Amazon... it hasn't shipped yet but I'll hopefully have it by the weekend! Hopefully it will be enough of a snowboard fix for the upcoming warmer months.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Gametrailers review:

http://www.gametrailers.com/downloadnew.php?id=17301

Design: 8.0
    Gameplay: 8.6
    Overall: 8.4

Yay:
    +Wii controls work extremely well [says it's hard to go back/very accurate]
    +music is ace
    +graphics are slick
    +lots of content
    +single events provide a good challenge

Boo:
    -no online
    -sometimes Uber tricks are finnicky or don't register
    -multiplayer is a bit weak
    -not as many tricks
    -no real story for characters

Summary: A great entry in the series and surprisingly very fun with the new control system. SSX fans will find themselves at home with Blur as it provides a fresh breath of air and a good re-entry point for the series. "It's hard to go wrong with SSX Blur."

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

mmm - not a bad review. I see the uber trick thing is still a bit finiky though.

Will probably give it a go anyway.

Its out 16/03/07 in Europe.

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

No online will probably be the story for most Wii games. Maybe a few first party games with basic online abilities, or some level exchanging like you can do in Elebits, but i doubt we will see anything like what XBL or PSN offers on the Wii. They already made their first mistake out of the gates with the dumb Wii Code thing...

If it ships today, its in stores tomorrow :) F1 shows as the 9th, but thats the Ship date, its in stores tomorrow. Tuesday new Movie releases, Wednesday new Game releases.

Ed

7. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

:confused:
    Thats right, I just called a couple of gamestops and they said they havent received it yet. but sometimes the games come out on tuesdays. It's really weird, because it doesnt seem consistant. I remember buying warioware on a tuesday after work...

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

What I wanna know if there is still a charge up for the tricks. That's a huge part of the SSX experience IMO. From what I understand, there is no jump button and you just do tricks on the fly. I hope this isn't the case.

9. NightStorm macrumors 68000

You move the nunhuck up to jump if I remember correctly.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Exactly, it's the same reason I've been saying that telephones won't take off.

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Telephone numbers are 10 digits in the US, a wii code is nearly double that at 16 digits. How hard would have it been for Nintendo to just do an account based system instead of using the codes.

Online systems wont work if they arent easy to use, the wii code is not user friendly. It's one of many flaws in the Wii. I'm sure it was easy to implement though as they probably just used a modified version of the DS wifi model.

Ed

12. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I'm buying it Thursday, I'll be sure to post about it.
    I can't wait. :D

13. ninewhereman macrumors member

Use the nunchuck to jump, and I heard that you still use A and B to charge up. I know for sure the Uber Tricks are on the A button as well as motion.

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The codes are dumb, but the actual reason Blur doesn't have online is because Nintendo hasn't opened it up to developers yet, I believe.

I watched their review last night. I honesty do not understand that complaint they had. What would character story have added to the game? It's not like the other games had any character interaction or story that anyone gave a piss about, it was just an annoying distraction from the actual game.

As a fan of the original SSX games I'm very interested in Blur. I think if I were to become re-interested in the series it would be because of it. But it's low priority on my game list.

16. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea, I've played all of them and I don't remember any of them havein' a story. Besides some background info and the pursuit to become an uber rider, there was no story.

I definitely want to try this game out, I just wish they had spent more time with it.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This game is going to have to pry Excite Truck out of my cold dead Wii. Right now Excite Truck has me addicted. Shame my family are in bed now else I'd spend another 2 hours on it.

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

:D

19. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Ha, that sounds like me. If I only had more time I'd have finished everything in Excite Truck. Well, and Zelda. And Super Monkey Ball. And Trauma Center. Have I mentioned I need more time?

This game looks like it could be a lot of fun, I've never liked this type but I'm interested in it. Only thing stopping me from getting it is, well, lack of time to play it.

20. ninewhereman macrumors member

Just picked this game up this morning. Enjoying it a lot so far; once I got over the initial frustration of the uber tricks. There is definitely a pretty steep learning curve to this game, but you can pick it up within an hour. That's just my initial response to the game, and the uber tricks really aren't as bad as the reviews I have read state. It just takes a minute to figure out how to pull off an uber trick without accidentally going into a spin or flip.

21. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Cool...I'm still waiting for some more reviews, IGN still hasnt reviewed it yet. I think its something with EA because last I heard EA didnt want them to post a review on NBA Live for a couple of days.

Oops..Let me correct myself..

22. Maynerd macrumors regular

You may or may not know this but you can...

23. ninewhereman macrumors member

Awesome I will have to check that out. Will be a lot easier to practice than trying to find nice jumps to fail on.

24. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Just picked it up last night, went through the tutorial and the first race on peak 1. It is a very fun game, and the controls took a little getting used to, but after that it was smooth as silk. It's one the first games that I have played on the Wii that actually has challenging controls, but that's a good thing. I am eager to try the multiplayer out this weekend with my friends, they were getting pretty tired of the simple controls Wii sports and Wario Ware and were wanting something more "hardcore".

25. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Thats exactly what I was looking for..a game with some controls that actually require some skill...I'm still debating on whether I should just go but it..