ST: Enterprise Season 3 Finale

Discussion in 'Community' started by CMillerERAU, May 26, 2004.

1. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

Hey everyone, just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the season finale of Enterprise tonight. I'm not so much interested in a general discussion on the series but more just how they ended it. WARNING: I'm assuming everyone here has seen it so feel free to spoil all you want!

That said, I really don't know what to say about ending with them in WWII. For one thing how did the team attacking the weapon AND Enterprise go back to the same time? Its not like both ships could have gone through mysterious wormholes or anything. It seems like Earth itself might have gone back in time and the rest of the galaxy be the same.

Well besides the technical aspets of it, this is smelling awfully like Battlestar Galactica where they go through time once they find Earth; complete cheeseball. I guess we can't completely pass judgement until the new seasons starts and we see where they go with it. Here's hoping they can pull it together. Season 3 was a great turnaround and thankfully it saved their butts for one more season. Lets just hope they don't throw it all away with a silly time traveling bit back to the 20th century.

2. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

who was that weird alien guy that was there at the end?

Yeah, I think earth is the only thing that was thrown into the past because the Aquatics were there when they released enterprise. Interesting.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Some of us haven't seen it yet. 10 minutes to go until it starts.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Looked like Angel meets Enterprise.

Well, the business about the spheres not being found and their effects missing would somewhat say that everyone involved had been moved into the past. The expanse was not repaired--it was never affected.

It looks like the whole theme is flip-flopping between centuries. Where's Q? :D

5. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

interesting question :eek:

6. legion macrumors 6502a

Q is first met with the original Star Trek Enterprise (Shatner, etc) meets the ends of the Universe (supposedly there was a great void outside of that edge.) Since this Enterprise predates that Enterprise, they can't meet Q.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The crew's passage through time must have something to do with Captain Archer not heeding the time traveler's warning to send someone else to disarm the weapon, so that Archer can survive to help found the Federation. He went and got himself killed (at least in the timeline we were watching), so perhaps the time traveler sent everyone into the past because that's the best he could do to save them.

A few dumb things about the end of the season:

1. Hoshi is a linguist. Since when does that talent also make somebody qualified as a cryptographer?

2. The multi-race Zindi civilization has the ability to build a great weapon. And all they can call it is "the weapon"? What a lack of imagination!

3. When the transdimensional beings try to disrupt power on Enterprise, does it kill the circuits? No, it "reduces power by 10%". That's the best they can think of to stop Enterprise? Duh, fellows, how 'bout zapping the crew on the bridge who are actually running the ship? I guess they didn't think of that.

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

yeah, there were a few times when i had to work to suspend my disbelief. like mentioned above, that transdimensional aliens couldn't destroy enterprise in less than thirty seconds was pretty unbelievable. and that the crew recovered from the skin-melting effects of the space-wobbly place in like ten minutes, but that's just nit-picky.

as for the time travel, i think only archer did it, thus accidentally changing the timeline and stunting our development. so we'll probably find that the nazis have been ruling earth for the last two hundred years.

the other big thing i couldn't get around is that earth had an entire year to prepare for this weapon they knew was coming, yet they couldn't manage to scrape up a single ship to defend the planet? come on now...

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Yeah I wondered where the other ships were as well. After all, there were supposed to be other ships almost ready to head out and explore during seasons 1 and 2 - what happened to them?

But I don't think they went back in time (although I did at first). My guess is either the sphere-builders or that original bad guy (Romulan?) time traveler have pursued an alternate plan where they affected earth's past, blah blah blah...

I did think it was pretty cool that the Andorians showed up again; and I liked the method Archer used to eliminate the Xindi reptilian general. :D

I also have enjoyed having a season-long storyline; I hope that continues.

10. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.

Be fair, it can't be the first time that an episode of ST has suffered a bit with logic and rationality for the convenience of the 'plot'. To paraphrase what I have been berated many times before, you must accept that it's science-fiction ... and put your brain on hold.

;)

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The Death Star was already taken.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sorry, I thought Star Trek was a documentary.

Even though it's fiction, the show is more enjoyable when they do a good job of making the characters and plot consistent and adding a realistic dialog and effects to their fake science. One of my favorite Next Generation moments was when a crew member goes through a hole in the side of the ship. Somebody says "he was sucked out" and Data corrects him, "No, he was blown out". Excellent attention to detail!

13. CMillerERAU thread starter macrumors regular

That's a possible outcome but then why would everyone be wearing 1940's clothing and flying P-51's (an allied aircraft no less) 200 years in the future? Its quite plausable that technology would advance if the Nazi's ruled the world for 200 years though more likely humanity would either collapse or be something entirely different than how we know it today. But I'll leave that little trinket of political science up to another forum.

A friend of mine had an interesting thought today. What if Rick Berman and the like was completely convinced that UPN was going to cancel Enterprise. To go out with a bang they devise the most rediculous plot imagineable for the last episode where Enterprise goes back to 1943. However, now that they are indeed going for a 4th season they now have to write their way out of a very bad plot twist. I found it rather ammusing to think that this was all a sabotage gone wrong. Somehow it brings back memories of "The Producers".

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There were a few episodes of the original Star Trek series where Kirk and friends went back in time. Was one of them to the 1940s? If so, maybe the Archer Enterprise crew will bump into the future Kirk Enterprise crew. Although the word "future" might be hard to define in this context.

15. CMillerERAU thread starter macrumors regular

I can see them doing something akin to the DS9 episode based on the Tribbles episode in the original series. But then again it would probably look like they were rehashing an old idea. Regardless I'm very interested to see how this works out in the fall.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Almost seems like the alien changed the timeline if there was dogfighting on San Fransisco.

17. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

You know I don't watch the show but I was flipping channels when I saw 2 P-51 Mustangs go zooming across my TV screen. Being the aviation buff that I am I thought cool, some WWII aerial action.
    But then I see that it's Star Trek and flip the channel. Commercials, commercials, commercials on the other channels so I flip back and I hear German, and I see Nazis. I thought - weird storyline.
    Then I see them talking about some guys uniform and then from out of the shadows I see some alien walk forth wearing a Nazi uniform. Pretty freaky.
    But it makes sense.
    It's well known that Hitler dabbled in the occult and I guess the writers are capitalizing on that.

18. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Ugh, this is one of those annoying things people say when they are trying to show how smart they are. Technically if you go with the most basic physics argument you are being pushed out, but everyone has accepted that sucked out is an appropriate description. Its the same as when you say you need to go buy some lead for your mechanical pencil and some anal retentive person says "its not lead its graphite". Yes yes we all know what it technically is, but still. Sigh, some people just love to show off.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Technically, it is "It's not lead, it's graphite." :D

20. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

What I was thinking that happened was that when the weapon was destroyed, maybe it distorted space-time in that area of space, maybe creating a pocket of space that's further back in time. That'd explain it a bit, but not really.

And nobody said "the stars are in the wrong place" when they got back to Earth. Maybe they just didn't say it, or maybe the entire timeline has been affected and they're still in the 22nd century, but Earth is in some sort of "loop" or something.

I'm sure it's probably just all because of the Temporal Cold War. I remember Berman saying in an interview that they were going to go back to the TCW next season.

And then, who is the alien in the Nazi camp? A bunch of people are saying he's a Reman, but I personally don't think he looks anything like them. But I swear I've seen that alien before.

enoch

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

[​IMG]

22. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Althought I did laugh at that out loud, I feel it seems like I dragged the good Doctor Q into an Us versus Them, sorry Doctor. Obviously bousozoku has just complicated it with his remark into an Us versus Them against The Other Lot. ;)

So I'd like to offer a peace offering to the Trekkie Techies (my wife is one, so I have to, and she is well looking forward to the final Enterprise episode), at the moment it is the most intelligent and engaging science fiction on telly.

It just doesn't float my boat, that's all.

23. Links macrumors member

There's no sound in space

Since suspending one's belief in the laws of physics seems
    to be a requirement in order to enjoy these "TV space operas"
    I would just like to point out that Joss Whedon's "Firefly"
    was the only one of this genre that followed the simple
    law of "no air" = "no sound". I don't mean to put any sound
    designers out of work, but, explosions and space craft don't
    make any sound in space, you need air to propagate sound
    waves.

24. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Yes but those are there for dramatic effect.

25. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

What about Stargate SG-1?