Stability Issues.... Safari and Quicktime

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Flyinace2000, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Here is my set-up 15" PowerBook 1.67Ghz, 1.5gig ram, 100gig HD. This is the model that come out last febuary.

2 days ago i noticed that Quicktime Pro (7.0.3) was acting up and crashing a lot. So i repaired permissions and no improvement. SO i booted to the OSX disc and ran disc utility. An info file was currupted and could not be repaired by Disc Utility. So out came the trused Disc Warrior CD. it would not boot so i grabed the latest update....but that would not boot either. So I installed OSX on a FW drive and install Disc Warrior. I repaired the the laptop drive using the external drive installation.

So nothing really improved. Safari would crash every time i tried to view a video file in Safari or when exporitng to quicktime from After Effects (which i really need to work this semester).

So now i am in my trusted "Test" acccount that I created months ago to see if stability improves. If it ends up being a account issue then what steps should i take to fix it. Should i creat a new user account for my self, movemy files and chown them?

Thanks in advanced.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Find out if it craps out in another account first.. don't worry about the next steps until after you determine that.

3. Flyinace2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

So far the Test account has been very stable.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Then I'd start by removing the .plists in your old account's Library associated with Quicktime. Still crashy? Then I'd move on to see what plug-ins that QT is using in your old account. Remove them all and test. If it works fine, start adding the plug-ins back until you find the culprit. Then look for an update or learn to live without it.

5. Flyinace2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

i deleted the plists for Safari and Quicktime. Both seem like much happier programs. I was able to export my After Effects project without any eorrors or crashes! Thanks

Its amazing how much u forget when u don't use it. I used to work in a High School IT department and i would trouble shoot stuff like this all day long. Now i can't even remember how to fix my own machine ::so sad::

Thanks for the help