Stand Alone App for Photo Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by 06Honda, Jan 4, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I use a MacBook Pro on SL and understand that the included IPhoto has noise reduction but it's not selective. IE: I want to reduce noise from the sky in a photo and can't just select the sky only to do this. Looking for an app or software (I am willing to buy) that gives me the ablility to reduce noise when needed in a selective manner. Thanks for any input and taking the time to read my post.

Paul

2. macrumors 68040

MCAsan

I don't know about iPhoto but, aperture and Lightroom can invoke 3rd party plugins that contain noise reduction, filter effects, HDR.....etc.

Check out products from: onone software, Nik software, topaz labs, and others.

3. flynz4, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

macrumors 68040

NIK Software is based on "UPoint" technology. You click on an area... and you only affect areas with similar tone and textrure.

DFine is NIK's tool for de-noise. It is availabe as a plug-in for Aperture, Lightroom, or PhotoShop.

/Jim

4. macrumors 68040

MCAsan

IMHO, DFine is better than the native noise reduction in LR or PS6. I have the Nik suite and really like all their products.

5. macrumors 68040

I agree. NIK Software is a really well designed product. I really makes my photos look much better. I also own the full NIK Suite for Aperture/LR/PS.

Google recently bought NIK Software, presumably for their "toy app" SnapSeed. I just hope that Google doesn't screw up up Nik's professional tools.

/Jim

6. macrumors 68040

MCAsan

Agreed. I hope Google does not screw up Nik.