Standalone Sub?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wizwaz3, Feb 25, 2007.

1. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Does anyone know of a standalone subwoofer that maybe plugs in via USB on the iMac? I LOVE the built-in speakers, but they're not bassy enough.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yes, this is what the iSub was. However, it doesn't work with Tiger :( Apple apparently are working on it, but the last update bought no changes.

Other than that, there are none that I am aware of, and there's no way of using the headphones connection at the same time as the built in speakers to drive a subwoofer as far as I'm aware.

TBH, the built in speakers are great, but you'd be far better off just getting a discreet set of computer speakers...

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I have the Harman Kardon iSUB Subwoofer (before I upgraded to the one with soundsticks), and have been pretty pleased with the sound quality.

... I'm also impressed with the sound that my JBL onstage II produces and I thought that the JBL 'creature II' subwoofer came standalone as well. But the website it seems JBL does not sell stand-alone subs (maybe I'm looking in the wrong section)? The apple store has no stand alone subwoofers either... it seems speakers + subwoofer packages are the norm.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

5. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I've got the 24" and it seems like a waste to have such awesome speakers and not use them. I plug my surround sound system in when I watch movies, then unplug them after.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

If the question was directed at me, the iSub/soundstick combo works fine for me and I'm using 10.4.8. :)