Standard mouse not to good?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Devie, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Devie macrumors 6502a

Yesterday, it was the first time I have ever used a Mac (YAY). I went to a store called NextByte in Adelaide, Australia and played around with all the Mac's :D.

Anyway, to the point... the mouses seemed very unresponsive. When I wanted them to just go to the top of the window to click a button, it was difficult to actually get on top of the button, it staggered a lot. It sorta felt like a ball mouse that had a lot of crap in the ball.
    I originally thought it was because of a lack of mouse pad, looked down and it was there... I decided to use a peice of paper (which I know works great as a mouse pad as I use it currently for my crappy lil optical), felt the same.
    My $10.00 Logitech mouse performed better then them.
    So yeah, are they really like that?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Short answer: Yes.

You'd probably want to get a 2-button mouse with scroll wheel anyway. I use an MS Wheel Mouse Optical and it works fine.

3. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I use a cloth mouse mat for mine, as on a table or paper, I find the underneath builds up with grime quickly and keeps needing cleaning. With a mouse mat they are fine.

4. mpw Guest

I can't believe there have only been a couple of comments to a post that dares speak ill of Apple's one button mouse!

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I really have no problems with Apple's mouse. To me it's actually very responsive. Course if you're used to a mouse on Windows, then yes, it may seem a bit less responsive in comparison, but for some reason I got used both ways.

6. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

It was probably just a typical dirty & abused floor model. Floor model keyboards/mice usually take a good beating from public use.

I know a single follicle of hair can make my non-Apple optical mouse jerky if it gets trapped in the little cavity where the optical "thingy" is.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I use the stock Apple one button mouse on my PowerMac G5, and a Logitech Wireless scroll wheel mouse with my Powerbook. I actually like the feel of the Apple mouse a lot better. It could be the difference between a wireless mouse and a wired mouse though I guess.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Just how do I manage to get a day's design work done with just my sad little standard one-button mouse?

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

lack of buttons aside, and also the weak cable that often shreds, it's actually a good mouse... the optical tracking is pretty high, and it moves fluidly. But yeah, they're very sensitive to dirt, so if the store mousepad has dirt on it (and it does), every last bit will get stuck to the optical sensor. I've just learned to keep my mousepad O.R. clean, until I get a mouse that off-roads a bit better.

So i mean, they're not bad, but they're not good either..

10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

The display model Keyboard & Mice are usually ROTTEN! (just like when I was in HMV (DVD's CD's etc) a while ago, and the xbox demo machine had busted thumbsticks - all 4 of them! - and those thinks are built like bomb shelters!)

I find my 1 button mouse fine really.

The same way huge numbers of creative Mac users do! (And most creative computer users use macs)

I once saw a mock up of an apple mouse with an iPod-style (3rd Gen) wheel on it for scrolling - it looked ingenious; no more "come-hither" movements when scrolling long documents!

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

thanks, you (and some canned air) just fixed my mouse jumping problem. you know the one where it's fine then it suddenly jerks across the screen? that one.
    btw, LOVE my apple mouse. when i first got my mac i used a logitech mx510 (8 buttons, quite nice--used internet fwd/back and 3 exposé buttons) but one day just pulled my apple mouse out of a box somewhere, used it, and noticed how much better one button is. it helps me get more work done by having to have a hand on the kb for ctrl+click or exposé buttons as opposed to getting lazy and just using the mouse.
    edit: get a Wowpad from www.microthin.com (i have an 8 inch round) best. mousepad. ever.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Last time I played around with Macs in a computer store, I did indeed find the mouse unresponsive. So I went into preferences and turned up the tracking speed - the slider was way down. I didn't notice any problem after that. It seemed as responsive as my PCs.

I didn't even find the one button mouse difficult to use once I learned some of the keyboard shortcuts. I knew about ctrl-click already.

13. auxplage macrumors 6502

If you want more than one button, then get another mouse. The Apple Mouse is fantastic, I use it, and I love it. It comes down to whether or not you like multiple buttons and a scrollwheel.

14. Devie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that makes me a bit happier, now I dont have to care about spending another $100 on a new mouse.
    There was nothing wrong with the single click, just the response of it seemed very bad, but thanks for clearing it up all.