Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

stanfordios9swift.jpg
Stanford University this week launched its latest iOS development course on iTunes U, which was once again created by Paul Hegarty. For the last several years, Stanford has provided its iOS development courses on iTunes U free of charge to those who wish to learn to create apps for iOS devices.

The 2016 course has been updated with iOS 9 and Swift, with course prerequisites listed as C language and object-oriented programming experience exceeding Programming Abstractions level and completion of Programming Paradigms.
Updated for iOS 9 and Swift. Tools and APIs required to build applications for the iPhone and iPad platforms using the iOS SDK. User interface design for mobile devices and unique user interactions using multi-touch technologies. Object-oriented design using model-view-controller paradigm, memory management, Swift programming language. Other topics include: animation, mobile device power management, multi-threading, networking and performance considerations.
Stanford's "Developing iOS 9 Apps With Swift" can be subscribed to through iTunes or through the iTunes U app on the iPhone or iPad. Sessions will be released on a regular basis, with the first introductory lecture available now. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Stanford Offers New Course on Developing iOS 9 Apps With Swift

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Note the multiple prerequisites. This course is not for beginners or people who've just learned the bare basics of programming. Know your algorithms and objects very well first.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
There should be a downloadable iTunes U app for the Mac

It's accessible through the iTunes app already.
Maybe in the future it could become a more advanced standalone app.
[doublepost=1461186730][/doublepost]
Note the multiple prerequisites. This course is not for beginners or people who've just learned the bare basics of programming. Know your algorithms and objects very well first.
Do you know if iTunes U students are still allowed to use Piazza?

jacjustjac

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
New York, NY
I've only taken a C++ course and an Intro to Java course about 6 years ago but it still interests me. What iTunes U course would be the next logical step between that and this swift course?

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
I've only taken a C++ course and an Intro to Java course about 6 years ago but it still interests me. What iTunes U course would be the next logical step between that and this swift course?

iOS Apprentice (Ray Wenderlich)
App Coda

If you just want Swift (not iOS Development familiarity) I'd go with Swift Apprentice/Apple's free iBook offering.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
My iOS class has that problem so we don't get to move as fast as i'd like... so this will be good additional work.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I'm just bummed out at the fact that there's no iTunes-U app on the AppleTV 4.

Absolutely! Watching a lecture on a large tv is far more appealing than is watching on an iPad or a computer. I don't want the full app on ATV 4 but have an app that syncs the iTunes U videos with your iTunes account.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Absolutely! Watching a lecture on a large tv is far more appealing than is watching on an iPad or a computer. I don't want the full app on ATV 4 but have an app that syncs the iTunes U videos with your iTunes account.
What a great idea! Is that possible? Maybe InFuse may do it, or even the Remote app may also do it. Time to research it.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Wonder if iTunes U is somehow accessible through a podcast client? Maybe Wireshark can lead a clue?
Because in that case one could create a RSS feed and put it on the ATV's podcast app (have never used Apple's podcast app so no idea if possible to manually add a feed or it has to be syndicated on their directory).

But that's too much thought, I'd just use Airplay or Airplay Mirroring from an iPad and call it a day.

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I'm going to be doing the same next year at mine. Is it straight forward?
My professor is teaching it well and the book he uses is straightforward. My professor has a big love for Apple. He used to work for Apple and was hired by Steve Jobs himself. Also attends WWDC. Great guy, great class.

Reactions: Sirious

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
What a great idea! Is that possible? Maybe InFuse may do it, or even the Remote app may also do it. Time to research it.

I see no reason it wouldn't work. The iTunes University videos are available in your iTunes store app on the Mac and the iTunes store and podcasts sync with the movies, podcasts, etc. on Apple TV so why not make the iTunes University videos available on the Apple TV?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I see no reason it wouldn't work. The iTunes University videos are available in your iTunes store app on the Mac and the iTunes store and podcasts sync with the movies, podcasts, etc. on Apple TV so why not make the iTunes University videos available on the Apple TV?

Unless I'm wrong, I remember seeing the iTunesU app on the previous AppleTV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.