All iPads Staples $99 iPad setup with antivirus!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blueroom, Apr 19, 2013.

1. macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep, that's what it says.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

Feb 24, 2008
  3. macrumors 6502

Dec 5, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
  4. macrumors 68000

Jul 17, 2012
    SMT, Edo MX, MX
    I bet there is a lot of people that fall for it.
  5. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
  6. macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2010
  7. macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Professional setup :p

Yeah I know, it's so hard to push a button and turn it on. Better pay to have it done professionally. :p:rolleyes::p
  8. macrumors 603

Aug 29, 2008
    I don't see anything about antivirus anywhere.

iOS Apps:

Norton Family [-]
    Get the official Norton Family app for iOS so you can keep an eye on your kids’ online activities wherever you are. Access your Norton Family account anytime, anywhere from your iPhone® iPad™ or iPod touch.®
    Find it on the Itunes Store >

Norton Identity Safe [-]
    Norton™ Identity Safe remembers and secures your user names, passwords, and more, so you can quickly and easily access your favorite websites from both PCs and mobile devices.
    Find out more >
  9. macrumors regular

Dec 25, 2007
    Applecare is where I would spend my money on.
  10. macrumors 65816

Andrew K.

Jul 9, 2008
    That is insane. Really almost criminal. I work at best buy and we setup iPads and computers absolutely free. And no there is absolutely no antivirus for the iPad. It's a lie. I wonder if this is a manager doing this or if it's actually a store wide setup. :confused: either way I feel bad for people who end up paying for this.
  11. macrumors 603

Aug 29, 2008
    Yes, it is a lie (this thread). No one appears to be informed about what is being offered.
  12. macrumors demi-god

Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA
    OK, I'll bite....what is being offered?:confused:
  13. macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2010
    Maybe it was a typo and they ment to put an Android Tablet instead?

That I can see. Someone not knowing the differences in tablets so they go with the popular named tablet.
  14. thread starter macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    It was the Staples at Gerrard Square in Toronto, Canada.

Can't figure out what's worse, $99 for an iPad setup vs a phantom 3 user iPad anti virus install.
  15. macrumors 68020

Nov 17, 2012
    I've heard some bad things about Easy Tech. Not surprised to see this.
  16. macrumors 603

Aug 29, 2008
    In terms of Norton 360 Everywhere, most likely:

Norton Family and Norton Identity Safe
  17. macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2010
  18. macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2010
    I work for Best Buy Mobile and it would be like me saying ok to turn on your iPhone activate it and make sure it is linked to your phone number and working the charge is $99. Are people that ingnorate lol. Also if some one buys an iPad yes we will turn it on and set it up and running before you walk out of the store for free. Both the mobile and computer department do this it's called our "walk out working" or as we call it wow for short. This is down right criminal what Staples is charging. Don't even get me started about the Norton they are so called offering. Norton has and will always be horible in my book and I wouldn't let them near my iPad under any circumstances.
  19. macrumors G3

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Regardless of the antivirus bit, it is still a scam. Turning in and setting up an iPad is five minutes of step by step work. If you don't have an Apple ID it is maybe a couple minutes more but it is still step by step. If you can't figure at least the basic setup by yourself maybe you aren't smart enough to have an iPad

The Norton Family app is an alert for what is happening on your computer and unneeded by many users and both apps are free.

So unless they are giving you a couple of hours of training or including AppleCare+ it's not worth the price
  20. macrumors 6502a

Dec 2, 2008
    Every day, something happens to make that day worthwhile

This is my new signature line.
  21. macrumors 6502

Mar 12, 2012
    What a scam! Unbelievable- I know that the seniors will get scammed into this!
  22. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2012
    I completely agree that $99 is highway robbery...and there will be many people that will presume difficulty since it is a new technology to them and hand over the fee.

That being said, I don't believe that the setup of an iPad is quite as simple as many people, or Apple for that matter, make it out to be.

I have set up probably 40-50 iOS devices over the years, ranging from the iPod Touch to iPhones to iPads. Just before Christmas, my kitchen counter looked like an assembly line of 8 iPads lined up as I set up each for gifts. I can do it out of memory in a matter of a couple of minutes.

BUT...many people quickly become VERY VERY confused about email addresses and passwords...
    Apple ID
    The address
    The address
    Any existing email address(es)
    Facebook username

Never mind all the passwords, case sensitivity, etc. etc.

Remember, you are on this chat board as a (likely) tech buff. You know your way around a Mac, PC, tablet, etc. You can set up a wifi connection. But most people can't!
  23. macrumors member

Apr 12, 2010
    From a Best Buy employee, no less!
  24. macrumors 68000

Jul 30, 2011
    maybe if it included a warranty of some sort, but yeah i agree. that's a rip off
  25. macrumors 65816

May 28, 2008
    Wanna hear "ingnorate"?People letting themselves be talked into criminally overpriced Monster cables at best buy.Or how about the BB employee I talked to after the 1st iPad came out(wifi)while waiting a few weeks for the release of my preordered 3g iPad.Swore the 3G 1st gen would have a camera,but"nobody knows about it yet".Then he said he was going to"crack open"his wifi iPad and INSTALL A FREAKING CAMERA."There's a spot for it in there that's just empty."I intended to go back after the 3g models shipped and laugh in his face but never got around to it.

I'm really sorry you have to work there and hope you find honest employment soon.