Star Control 2 (v.0.4.0) Released. FREE download!

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, Jun 23, 2005.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Any of you ever played this game? I gotta admit, it's on of my favorite games ever. The story was amazing and the characters hilarious. The soundtrack was out of this world. So many planets and moons to explore. So many sci-fi jokes. Ah! the fond memories.

Sure it's now outdated but it's still tons of funs. It is now available for FREE (Mac and PC) here:

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Congratulations are in order for the hard working guys at the Urquan Masters.

P.S.: My favorite specie was the Spathi ^_^

Attached Files:

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I donwlaoded it and installed in on my ibook and the graphics and text are all scrambled. Any idea how to fix this?

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Awesome! This was one of my favorite games of all time. StarCon3 sucked, but 2 was great... Can't wait to get home and try it out now! :)

Rob

4. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Strange, it worked fine for me.

Note. You can also download packages from the same link to add voices. ^_^

By the way, this is one of the most non-linear and open game I ever played. Very nice. Go where you want, do what you want. Ignore what you want.

5. slagonnee macrumors member

SC2 was one of my favorite games for the 3DO, still have it lying around somewhere. Hopefully I still have the map...

6. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

You're in luck. This port is the 3DO one (not the DOS one). With some little updates.

Just in case, here is a good scan of the VERY USEFUL map:

http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/sc2/images/sc2_color_map.jpg

For those who doubt the scale of this game, each dot on the map is an explorable star system. Each star system can have up to a dozen planets with 0-4 moons each. ^_^ (Gas Giants are boring to explore... except one.)

I wonder if I still have my scrapbook in which I noted the location of the Ruby/Emerald rich worlds and rainbow worlds…

7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

First thing you gotta do is get enough minerals to nearly max out your ships speed (so you can outrun those stupid probes) and go to the place where the Arlou (sp?) pop into our galaxy. Get the Arlou device that allows you to warp, and the warp as close to that freaking gas giant that is putting out the probes and pay them a visit. They will be nice enough to get rid of those freaking probes. And now you can mine like a mofo. Oh and get all the tech upgrades from that dealer, invaluable in mining ability. (this is all from memory folks, find a guide for coordinates.)

8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Looking at the map, some good mining planets are in Centauri, Sextantis, and Serpantis. Avoid the Yehat people as best as possible. And I believe that science guy is one of the Centauri. I believe the stupid probe thigie is in Vega up in the corner, and the Arlou place is somewhere between x=50-150 y=550-750, but its only available if I remember at the end of the month, so plan your trip to arrive there around then, and bring enough fuel to get there and just a wee bit farther, cause in the relm of the arlou you don't need gas, and you can pop out of their space near earth.

9. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Actually, I liked the Probes. 500 Credits a Pop. In my latest games, I delibaratly ommitted to complete the quest to have them stopped. Easy money. With 1 or 2 hellbore canon, 2-3 guding modules, some turning thrusters, you can destroy them in one shot. Very lucrative. ^_^ But you are right, they can become pesky, especially since they replicate themselves and there are more and more flying around as the game progress.

The technology merhcant can be found orbiting any "Giant Star" system. Sometimes he can be hard to find when he orbits planets. Just wait for him in the star system. You're right abount Centauri. There is a Ruby world there and plenty of radiocactive worlds. Very hot and dangerous to your lander. Save and try again if you die there, it's worth the trouble.

My personal tip for this game: Anything below radioactives is not worth hauling around (including Precious metals like gold). Keep that space in your cargo haul for the good stuff.

10. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Has anyone successfully download and installed this game and the game works because I have downloaded it twice and installed it numerous times and all the graphics and text is scrambled.

11. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I downloaded it (today) from the link I posted above and it works fine for me. Not sure what the issue is with your iBook. I'm no expert so I can't be of much help. :-/

12. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Does it run in window mode for you?

13. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Yes… but I haven't tried playing with the settings. I left it in it's original optimal 640x480. I think this version can be set to stretch it to 1024 x 768. I like it in window mode, easy to look at the map in another window.

14. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I tested it on my sawstooth and it works, my ibook has tiger and my sawtooth has panther so I'm guessing its not tigger compatible.

15. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Might be it. I've also tried it on my Panther puter. I'll try it on my Tiger puter tonight. I'm suprised it doesn't work on panther since this built was made available only a few days ago.

UPDATE:

The Star Control II spoundtrack was very good and innovative. I just found a site of remixed Star Control music. Very good techno/industrial stuff. comandr.ogg is my favorite thus far.

http://www.medievalfuture.com/precursors/

You can't play .ogg files in iTunes/Quicktine now thanks to Quicktime 7 but you can use a stand alone player:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16817

16. frojas macrumors newbie

Graphics Bug Fix

If you go to the following URL:

http://uqm.stack.nl/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Techissues;action=display;num=1116786961

You will find a discussion on the Urquan Master's board about this issue. There are two fixes to the problem. Either download an alternate version of the game which has a startup menu that lets you select the graphics mode you want to use, or you can start the game with some parameters from the Terminal. Either approach fixes the problem.

FR

17. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Starmap

I just found the greatest StarCon2 map. It's online and completely interactive. You can display anything from Spheres of influence to items location. It can plot the shortest Hyperspace route for you and display needed fuel. It can even search every world for resource type or lifeforms.

http://uqm.chumbucket.org/

Attached Files:

18. kevhoffer macrumors newbie

Star Control 2 (Ur-Quan Masters) for Mac X

I can not BELIEVE I found a way to cheat around my self inflicted ban on World of Warcraft...

After MANY years, I have decided to track down Star Con 2 again, THIS time, after trying a DOS emulator one afternoon that created that same buginess that kept me from playing this a couple years ago (I finished the game in '93 originally) I followed a couple more links and found a version that once you download, works BEAUTIFULLY! Beware, it will eat up your time!

I can't remember the link now...but it's called

The Ur-Quan Masters 0.4.0

They keep tweaking it which is good. Didn't finish again, but I hope they DID get that ending credit stuff in there.

DO NOT play with a walk through. Just save a lot, and have fun. Once you finish you won't need to play again for another 10 years, so just keep exploring and try EVERYthing.

...such an intelligent game...so funny...

kev