Star Trek and JJ

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hana, Feb 27, 2007.

1. hana macrumors regular

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What about it?

There was at least one thread here around a year ago or so about such a film, if that's your concern.

3. hana thread starter macrumors regular

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Well i am a trekkie, I have helped make many trek sites (including the largest one on the net, around 45GB of content), and I run my own!

I find that most trekkies do not like the idea of him as the director,but I also find that they cant tell me who they want as the director, but I really dont care. Most trekkies didnt like the last movie, but I did!

I will judge the movie when it comes out by the quality of it, not the director!

This is pretty big news around the trek community,

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

They should get the dude that did Kahn, if he's still around.

6. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

The Star Trek site says it has a release date of Christmas Day 2008. What trek sites have you worked on? I will tell you its hard to beat lcarscom.net i love that site.

7. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Damn. I thought this thread was about J.J. Walker.

The new Geordi Laforge?

[​IMG]

8. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

*angry face* KHANNNNNN!!!!!

9. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I've liked most of the movies (except the Motion Picture and parts of The Final Frontier...). What I wish is that they'd make an awesome Star Trek game. They have all been on the disappointing side...

10. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

Have you tried the new Star Trek game for the 360/PS2? Gotten decent reviews. Personally not a big fan but other Trekkies seemed to have enjoyed it.

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I don't watch lost and MI:III was fluff (except for Philip Seymor Hoffman, who kicked ass) but I've got nothing *against* this new guy. What I'm worried about is that he's gonna mess with continuity (as if Enterprise didn't already flush it down the toilet) and the lack of any mention of McCoy.

12. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I have worked on TrekCore.com (currently moving servers, but it has hundreds screencaps from episodes, and thousands for movies. Currently working on offering audio clips from every episode and movie! But most of the real work goes unnoticed, the thousands of HTML pages that the site has is where most of the time is! however I have capped a good 100,000 screencaps for episodes! (no joke that is a conservative number)

My Site is *link removed*

LCARScom.net is a good site, I only wish he would keep it more up to date!

13. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Fresh blood is a good idea. BTW I actually liked Enterprise. I guess we all needed a break. I had been watching new star trek every other week since I was 7 until enterprise was canceled. It gave me a chance to get into DS9 for the first time. Cannon will always be preserved, but it can been added on to, or have gaps filled.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They need to get back to the original formula,Kirk wasnt perfect, Spock could lie and Bones also had his issues. These people were real unlike the all the Tv sequels that had every character a christlike morality figure. Then they all just got carried away with tek instead of the human stories and fun. Phasers on stun, go explore the unkown and get the fricking girl! Everything since Kirk/Spock has just been to damn clean,to much tek, to little story. I could go on and on but people want to see monsters of all kinds something the sequels left out, people love sex and it was removed by the sequels and people want to see the human condition, not who has the highest morals.

I use to love some of the storys where Kirk would encounter beings who were really really alien , not just a nose job and some scum on their forhead.

Some great examples the amoeba in space the size of a star, or beings who evolved past there bodys or a device that was eating planets though its founders were long gone, intead we get puddy on the forehead and no one is getting laid.

15. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I did play it. It was fun for awhile, but it held no replay value for me. Some of the the physics were funky, especially running into other starships. I would love a free to explore universe with a starship, going wherever you please with bits of story line here and there. Maybe a giant mystery. Space battles are fun, but that isn't what Start Trek is about (see below...).

Maybe this is why some people like watching Star Trek, but I believe its greatest legacy was being able to deal with morality issues without people even realizing it. Star Trek dealt with issues like murder, euthanasia, terrorism, abortion, racism, sexism, ignorance, poverty, homosexuality, love, death, genocide, human rights, and any other controversial subject you can think of. It was so much more to do with these things than monsters and sex.

16. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

On a semi-related note: Comedy Central has been rebroadcasting the roast of William Shatner and it's actually pretty funny - as long as you don't mind the very foul language. George Takei is there and he really rips into Shatner - I've oftened wondered if this is just part of the roast or his (and supposedly other characters) dislike for Shatner dating back to the time of the TV series.

Yeah, it would have been nice if it was more open-ended. Rumor has it that this particular game was rushed into production with bugs and other game mechanic issues unresolved.

If you're interested in an open-ended game, I would seriously look into "Mass Effect" an upcoming game being produced by Bioware for the Xbox 360. These folks have done some seriously good open-ended games, most recently a couple of Star Wars based games, and this one looks incredible. Your character is a starship captain sent off to solve a big mystery. Basically you get your own ship to fly around wherever you like, interacting with all sorts of folks, finding answers to "BIG" questions and of course, combat galore.

Supposed to be released in April (?) or May.

17. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Sounds exactly what I am craving! I really want one set in the Star Trek universe though... But this one sounds exciting. I'm not a big gamer, but I bought Freelancer a few years ago and I was totally addicted to it. I loved being able to go anywhere. I really wanted to "solve" something though. After finishing the story line I played for a long time, but then it got really boring. And I mean reeeaaaallllly boring... I'll keep hoping...

18. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

There is a woman where I work whose last name is Kahn (pronounced the same as Khan). Every few months when I see I'll angrily yell "KHAAAAAANNN" real loud.

Man, it never gets old. At least for me.

19. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I love the original series, Next Generation, and Voyager. I never really liked Deep Space Nine, I've only seen the second and seventh seasons, but that was enough. It didn't have enough exploration for me. Enterprise was pretty good, until the 3rd season. The whole Xindi plot thing was cool, but it wasn't executed in what I thought was a star trek like way. It seemed to me that they didn't try to use diplomatic means to stop the Xindi in the first place, which seemed very....unusual, for Star Trek. I remember through that entire season thinking, "this doesn't feel like Star Trek at all" (ironically, it was the first season where the show was offically renamed to Star Trek: Enterprise). I have only seen a few episodes of the forth season, but from what I've heard, it wasn't all that bad.

Anyway, I loved Nemesis, I think it was one of the better Star Trek movies (along with Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, and First Contact), and I hope JJs Trek film can be added to that list. I think it has potential to be a great film, it just needs to be done right. I don't know much about JJ, but from what I've read, the film seems to be in good hands. Maybe I could write the script. :D

20. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

The fourth season really made enterprise. The two part alternate universe episodes "In a mirror, darkly" was my favorite. They actually changed the intro music that I loathed. I really recommend buying the fourth season.

As for DS9 seasons 5-7 were my favorites. You cannot understand what is going on in season 7 without 5 and 6 (too much dominion war continuity stuff).

Gaming is a whole different story. I consider myself more enjoying passive storytelling. If you can give me a "choose your own adventure" type thing that would be better. I like the whole exploration part of it. Diplomatic relations is nice, but I cannot stand combat or running around some planet finding dilitium crystals and figuring out puzzles. I just want to be told a long drawn out story that I have some impact on, but not really in the long run. It would have no replay value, but thats ok. Basically if someone could do a long running series on a video game platform.

21. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Enterprise was set at the birth of the Federation, so I would think it would be the "furthest" from what we normally think of as "Star Trek". It is basically a prequel.

"It's been a long road
    Getting from there to here"

I never really enjoyed Voyager, and DS9 kept getting worse IMO. The whole Emissary thing was odd... My favorite movie was "The Undiscovered Country". I always thought it was underrated.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I hated the Enterprise intro music as well. I'd mute it every time it came on.

As for Voyager, I didn't like it all that much when it was on the air. Now that it's being rerun on SpikeTV, I've actually gotten more into it and found it does have some pretty darn good stories. Still don't like Janeway though because the acting isn't too great when she gets angry.

23. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

Does this woman understand the reference or is just a private joke between you and yourself? :)

24. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

Really enjoyed DS9, liked TNG, and was okay with the TOS and Voyager - and it was all because of continuity. More then any other series, DS9 actually felt like it had a real time line, and stories that made a difference from week to week. If something happened in Episode A, chances were pretty good you'd see the impact in Episode B and so - the Dominion War story is a good example.

That wasn't so much the case with TNG, and TOS and Voyager were lousy about this - especially Voyager, where the crew's situation should have made the impact of their actions even more obvious. Ship gets into a firefight in Episode 1, and by Episode 2 there's no sign anything ever happened. Maybe constant stories about food or power shortages, or wear/tear on the ship would have been boring but it never really seemed like they suffered all that much given their supposedly "dire" situation.

As far as games: it's really difficult to make GOOD really open-ended games, especially those based in space. So much time, effort and coding has to go into it and they have to be done in such a way as to appeal to a wide audience. I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect, the game I mentioned earlier. Bioware, the company doing it, has a done a bang-up job on past games of this type, so I'm pretty excited.