Star Trek cellphone?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Krizoitz, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Seriously the original flip phone model was the Star Trek communicator. So my question is, why hasn't an enterprising company licensed the case and put a flip phone inside? seriously the thing would sell like hotcakes.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It might. Certainly, the StarTac from Motorola sold quite well. I still use mine.

I think some people would be a bit embarrassed to pull out a Star Trek communicator when they're in a meeting to check to see who is calling. :D

Attached Files:

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

uh... nerdy much? :rolleyes:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

edit: i do like star trek... i just dont know that a phone is the way to go...

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hateful much?

5. Krizoitz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

i doubt I would buy one, but I think they would sell well

6. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Probably because Paramount would require the souls of the execs of the company licensing the prop. I've all but given up Star Trek simply because Paramount has milked the franchise dry. I don't think there is much more they could whore out of Trekdom at this point.

My new sci-fi love is Stargate [​IMG]

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I watch Stargate SG-1 some but I like Andromeda a lot. It's interesting to me that it was another Roddenberry idea from the 1960s that just didn't come to light until recently.

8. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

I'd love to see hidden-camera video of someone showing up for a job interview in a Star Trek uniform. That could be funny.

9. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Caution Trekkies...

It still won't make you any more popular with the opposite sex .... just other Trekkies.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Just when you thought it was safe to return the Las Vegas Hilton...

http://www.startrekexp.com/

11. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

w00t! Stargate SG-1 is the best. There is no better Sci-Fi IMHO.
    Can't wait till season 8, and the new Atlantis series, too bad that series won't have RDA :(

I still love Star Trek but it has been SO run into the ground....you can't produce crap and put the Star Trek name on it and expect people to watch it!

12. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Since when?

13. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Since Voyager....
    I watched the entire series and it just didn't compare to TNG or DS9.

I do like Enterprise but I it has turned into the same old stuff with nothing new and creative...besides the fact that it is probably going to be canned at the end of this season. They already cut the season by 2 episodes!

I am not even going to mention the movies...

14. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

You are, of course, implying that the majority of Trekkies are male :)

15. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Me = major trekkie :D

Have you seen the movies with the original crew (Kirk, Spock, Lahura, etc.)? They rocked. the first couple next generation movies were ok but they went downhill from there on.

Andromeda was ok, but a little too far stretched out... And IMO Stargate just sucks - it's a soap opera featuring some guy with a worm in his forehead o_O

16. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I have seen EVERY SINGLE Star Trek OS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise Episode at least once. I have also seen every movie.

The recent Star Trek movies have not been good. I still liked them but they weren't worth watching more than once.

I can assume from your Stargate comment that you haven't really ever watched the show. You should really serious check it out because it is a great series. There are 153 episodes of Stargate SG-1, and you should start at the beginning and watch all seven season before judging something you know nothing about!

17. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I thought Enterprise is getting quite good now, they are starting to come up with some new ideas for shows now.

Also I cant see what people like about Andromeda, most of the actors cant act and the story lines are just plain borring.

But I like StarGate, although I prefer the other guy to Daniel Jackson, because Jackson's buddist assension crap was really getting on my nerves.

18. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

19. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Actually, I've watched 6 episodes and none of them made sense.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

TNG was awful and Voyager was decent. Most of the movies have been awful, but they've had enough in them to keep me interested for the majority of the time. Nemesis was the worst, though.

21. Krizoitz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Stargate SG-1 is like Babylon 5, its not very interesting unless you actually watch the show as a series, because unlike most american tv shows which are self contained with very little over all story arc, this show has plot and character development. The back stories tie together, seemingly unrelated episodes are linked at a later date, etc etc etc

Rent the first season dvd's and you're in for a treat, also Sci-fi channel shows a block on mondays that is good to watch to catch on

22. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I'm assuming you speak of Teal'c who is a Jafa who has been a slave race of the Goa'uld for god know how long as a method of maturing the Goa'uld symbiotes before they are implanted into human hosts. Episode 2 Teal'c rebelled against his God Apophis (Goa'uld's have a serious God complex.) and aid Earth in fighting the Goa'uld. I could fill a book with the details but suffice it to say StarGate SG-1 is one of the more complex and refreshingly original and, IMHO, conceptually brilliant Sci-Fi shows on TV right now. **Fingers crossed StarGate: Atlantis will be the same**
    When it was killed a few years back and the Sci-Fi channel picked it up many believed that it marked the downfall of the series in terms of quality. Much to many's amazement the total opposite happened and since that time (2 seasons.) SG1's universe has expended and its shows have invariably been linked closer and closer together to the point that if you saw the 2 part season finale that occurred the last 2 weeks without seeing season 6 and 7 you should be shaking your head going WTF?!?
    Starting around season 3 you really had to watch prior episodes to get an idea of what was going on. Star Trek uses the formula of each episode stands on its own with little to no ref to previous episodes. (Enterprise somewhat breaks this notion with this find the hidden WMD plotline which is about as thin as a quantum filament.) While this works perfectly well it doesn't give it a scope and depth of series like SG-1 and B5 because of the history and character development involved.

The last Star Trek series I really gave a flying leap about was Next Gen. It was Gene's last hand picked crew and, IMHO, one of the best. (Your results will vary with that opinion.) DS9....tuned out after season 2...tuned back in during the war and tuned out just as fast....they used a plot gimmick to make the series popular. When in doubt add war and big space battles.
    Voyager. I was stoked. Back to deep space exploration! Again I tuned out after season 3 this time. Ugh. How many episodes revolved around something warping the ship?!?! And the series finale, IMHO, was a copout. No need to go into detail those who are ST fans know what I’m talking about.
    Enterprise is refreshingly new. I like the cast. I like the ship, even though it’s no Enterprise D. But the episodes are spotty. IMHO for every 1 good episode there are 3 so-so ones. But I have to say I loved the Borg tie-in episode. Very ingenious and very well done. I've watched consistently until this season. Once again they are using a plot device to try and springboard the series. This time an act of terrorism against Earth. Admittedly Trek has always dealt with real life issues. (A number of TOS and TNG episodes come to mind.) But Enterprise is getting away from what the primary goal of Trek was and that’s exploration not seek out the bad guys and kick some *** or not stop a temporarily cold war. Also I swear if I see another time traveling episode on Enterprise again I’m going to shut it off for good. There seems to be a prerequisite for Trek that at least 1-2 episodes in a series revolves around time traveling back to this period in time, but I’ve lost count as to how many traveling forward and backward episodes there have been (including the one where it’s a recollection type thing.)

I love Sci-Fi but Trek has turned from a serious Drama sci-fi to an popcorn action shoot em up and while entertaining it also needs something called a plot which, IMHO again, is sorely lacking in current Trekdom. This is just my opinion. I’m well aware of how some feel on the various series and if you are fanatically in love with DS9 and Voyager as much as I like SG-1 great! Because in the end that all that really matters. Entertainment. Just like the critics that crap on movies in the theaters. Who cares what they rate as long as they entertain but I and they are entitled to their opinions. And IMHO Trek is in need of a serious makeover. I still think going the outer Limits router would be best. Each episode deals with a facit of Trek. Star Trek has such an established universe that its stupid not to take advantage of that. So say an episode in Starfleet Academy. An episode with a ship on the fringes of deep space. An episode at a subspace relay station, an episode on the Ferengi (I know I slaughtered that name, Sorry its late.) home world or the Romulan home world. It’s a big universe they have to play with. Why do they have to limit themselves with one crew?

Ummm wow that was long and WAY the heck off topic. Sorry. :(

23. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Oh PS- I've converted a number of my friend into SG-1 fans by lending out all 6 seasons of DVD's I have. Once you get through season 2 you can't stop watching. The episodes are addicting after a while.

24. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Yes, off topic, but a lot of it needed to be said. If anyone wants to stay on topic, please disregard this post.

I really enjoyed TNG, started DS9 and came back for the war (for the most part), and despised Voyager. Blech. Enterprise has turned into "who gets to get T'Pol naked this episode?" which is cheap. Enterprise is weak. Sadly enough I think it deserves whatever quiet death is coming.

The thing about Star Trek is, they have this whole universe with tons of breadth, but very little depth. What does anyone really know about the Federation? We've never delved into why they act they way they do, what the politics behind the decisions are. Not the way of life that they're defending. Not anything, really. Not having background hurts the show. One of my favorite episodes of TNG was "Lower Decks", where the audience followed a week in the life of four low ranking crewmen who were friends. It was great, we actually got to see what life is like when you're not on the bridge! Gimme some stories to listen to. "Oh, two redshirts died on deck 16? Bummer." If they want us to develop sympathy for the ship's crew, or for the planets they're defending, they gotta show us who we're fighting for.

I've read a series of books by David Weber, the Honor Harrington series. The first book is called "On Basilisk Station". This is what I wish Star Trek would model itself after. We've got the breadth, now we just need the depth. The characters, the worlds, the politics, the relationships, even the strategy and tactics. And for goodness sakes, don't we have enough techno-babble already? There's gotta be enough techno-babble already on paper to save the Enterprise from the center of a freakin' black hole. Stop making up new stuff! If you can't use what you've already got, you're just being lazy.

As for Stargate, I like what I've seen, which is little. But I especially liked the groundhog day episode. "On my BACKSWING!?!?!" :D

Andromeda is also a great show. I'm currently marathoning the 3rd season. I think if Archer were more like Hunt, Enterprise would be a ton more watchable.

And on topic (surprise!), I've thought the StarTacs would make great communicator phones since '97 when they first came out. But Savage Henry is right, they wouldn't exactly be maintstream. :p

25. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel