Star Trek Nemisis!

Discussion in 'Community' started by diorio, Dec 13, 2002.

1. diorio macrumors 6502a

Star Trek Nemesis opens today and I will be seeing it after school. The critics gave it mixed reviews, but the critics give sucky reviews to all the good movies. After I see it, I will post my opinions about it. Anyone else seeing it today?

2. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Not today, not tomorrow... in Germany the movie will be released in January!! :( :rolleyes: :mad:

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

well it wasnt the best one they have done but it wasnt bad.

4. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Start rep....

Review: Crochety old men and women in tights capitalize on even older and crotchetier old men and womens success to vie for young nerds dollars... story at 11.

:cool:
    --------------
    course you know I'm the first in line...

5. superkatalog macrumors regular

stike:

it's the same in switzerland... it's a shame!

(liebe grüsse nach deutschland!)

6. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

i saw a sneak preview for free on thursday night and i really enjoyed it. it wasnt as good as generations, but it was better than first contact and infinitely better than insurrection. also, it had the tightest most refined special effects of any of the trek movies.(good make-up on the remans too)

7. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

Mein Mitbewohner wollte mich heute Abend in die naechste groessere Stadt schleppen, da Nemesis hier in Iowa in der Pampa nicht gezeigt wird...
    ...leider habe ich naechste Woche Finals und mehrere Paper abzugeben, wir also wohl nichts draus...

My roommate wanted to drag me to Rochester due to the fact that the local theatre doesn't show Nemesis... Damn IOWA!!!

8. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Good to hear! I'm going to see it after school today! Amazing to see someone who actually likes generations though... I think people are prejudiced against it because it has an odd number... But the best news there is that it's better than Insurrection!

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

From everything that I've seen and heard, it's all special effects. There is very little plot, bad acting, and expensive special effects.

Perhaps they should have spent money on screenwriting or used a different series' actors.

10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Also it should be noted that Patrick Stewart asked that all Star Trek likers and lovers see it on the first weekend. He says that the future of the movie series depends on the first weekend.

Also It should be noted that Stewart took a pay cut from the last movie to make sure this one was made. His reason was the Star Trek movies are fun to make.

(I found it in a TV guide.....)

11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I would say it's easily the best out of the TNG films. Wrath of Khan is still best in my book but Nemesis comes close.

12. pantagruel macrumors regular

Star Trek use actual screenwriting???? They use the worst "science" in all of sci-fi and all the stories suck, cant say Im not a fan though for some reason, sort of like a man soap opera, not that I dont know plenty of women who like it too now.:cool:

13. pantagruel macrumors regular

Oh and yeah this might end up being the last of the next generation movies (depending on how well this one does in the box office) which would be great, but sadly they still havnt made any deepspace 9 movies yet so they could go into those (dont get me wrong, i think deepspace 9 was the best of all star trek shows, but a movie would suck) and they hopefully they wouldnt attempt anything with voyager which was a sad sad attempt at a show and even worse some kind of prequel movie with the new Enterprise show crew.gross.
    If they were to ever do another movie I think it should be completly new and not really based on any of the series just maybe bits and pieces with certain actors or characters.

14. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well let me offer you a different view. I have now seen it and the acting is quite good as are the special effects. It is a good story and from the lines at the movie theater will do very good.

A different series wouldn't really work right now. DS9 would be next, but NG hasn't exhausted itself yet. We will never see a Voyager movie, because frankly the series sucked and couldn't easily be made into a movie.

15. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would step out this thread now. This is a Star Trek fan thread, not a Star Trek sucks thread.

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Post-TNG movie oppurtunities are bleak at the moment. DS9 would be a good candidate but that series just can't be contained in a movie. A Voyager movie would alienate a good portion of the fanbase. Enterprise's amazingly low ratings would keep it out of the film arena.

17. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is why I hope Nemesis does well, then they will make another one, or two or three. Kind of like Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, and Voyage Home. I don't see why Enterprise has such low ratings, I find most of their episodes to be clever and entertaining, much better than voyager.

18. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Just got back from it. It is completely sold out all night. It is only playing in two theaters in all of Pittsburgh. I thought it was great. It kept me guessing throughout the movie. It was pretty funny at times. Brent Spiner was one of the writers. It will do pretty well for a Star Trek movie, I think.

Note about Loews movie theater, I hate them. 30 minutes of commercials. Actually 15 minutes of commercials 5 minutes of trailers 10 minutes of the projector not working, then 10 minutes of trailers, then, a half hour after the movie was scheduled to start, the opening credits.

I hate Loews!!!!

19. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, the theater I was at had 15 minutes of commercials, 10 minutes of crappy previews (not even a LOTR!) and then finally on to the movie.

20. dreamlance macrumors regular

Could be because the writers are running out of ideas to really grab people's imaginations. Granted, Rick Berman and Brannon Braga are trying their best and are good writers but it seems like the interest in ST has declined since TNG ended. Putting Michael Pillar on the DS9 block was a good idea because honestly, DS9 wasn't too thrilling for the first few seasons.

Insurrection was probably one of the worst ST movies out there, IMO. Wrath of Khan and First Contact are my favorites with Generations close behind (because of its musical score really). I'm hoping this one is as good as FC because I'd hate to see Roddenberry's idea go to pot because of poor writing style.

21. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Oh come on, Seven of Nine makes Voyager a must-see. They could make a 2 hour flim with just her in it and they'd have my money. :D;)

22. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is probablyy true. I liked Insurection, and all the NG movies really with FC and Nemesis as my favorite. Hopefully Enterprise keeps making quality episodes, not ones like "a night in sickbay" which will destroy the series (enterprise watchers know this episode, it was the dullest hour of my life). However, most of the Enterprise episodes have been interesting and worth watching.

23. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was frankly the problem with Voyager, no plot, just bringing in hot women trying to spark up something, dressing them in tight clothes and having them do things involving them bending over and such. :D

24. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Hey, it worked for me ;)

I've not seen Nemisis, it doesn't come out in Australia until Jan 16.

25. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

"Man soap opera"?

That is awesome.