Star Trek Online

Discussion in 'Games' started by KrysBaz, Sep 8, 2004.

1. KrysBaz macrumors member

Sep 3, 2004
    Wokingham UK
    Hello, this is my first post and can't see any other threads about it.

Being an avid Star Trek fan I can't wait to play the ne game announced yesterday

A couple of questions?
    How do we get this for OS X as it's only being developed for PC

Do you think it would run on whatever incarnation of VPC that will be availble at the time if it doesn't get a OS X version?
  2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    OMG :eek: I cannot wait either :p

There just aren't any good ST games on the Mac... and even the ones on PC are a bit short/shoddy...
  3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    I'm a big (old) fan, but I won't buy a PC to play this. Why not port it to OSX like America's Army or WWIII?
  4. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    well since the game is 3 years away and 2 years from going to beta the question is will there be that much hype left then, will MMORPG still be the in or willl something replace them. Trek gaming will be almost dead by the time that games roles out. Also will star trek be alive or dead by then?

I dont see much hope for this game being good at all because I dont see it having a large player base
  5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2004
    I think this game has alot of potential. But could be a total flop if they work it wrong. Let me explain. Currently, City of Heroes is the funnest MMORPG to play, but lacks any sense of reality (not even a functioning economy). Star Wars Galaxies has the reality nailed much better (you can establish your own house wherever! and you're reliant on other peoples professions), and has impressive gameplay, but the 'daily grind' is enough to drive anyone away. Lastly, there's everquest: sucky graphics.. that's all i am gonna say. SWG:Jump to lightspeed is not gonna work well for a number of important reasons (pm me if you want to know details), but I will mention the biggest one which is easiest to explain: you can only fly within the area above the planets. So yeah... cool to have a space ship, but com'on! ...let me attack the deathstar in a tie fighter!

So this StarTrek online could really be fun... StarTreak has an immersive history like STG, and could learn from the mistakes of STG. I think the MMO market is bigger than people think, and if they get the word out, most MMO'ers will give it a shot.

On a side note, i heard that another MMO is in the works based on the Matrix. Now that sounds wicked!
  6. KrysBaz thread starter macrumors member

Sep 3, 2004
    Wokingham UK
    Well I'm still looking forward to it coming out.
    I hope they do it as well as possible, but that remains to be seen.
    Apart from Elite Force are there any other Star Trek Games on the Mac?
    or is it just another case that they franchise keeps ignoring the Mac and Linux market share when it comes to games
  7. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    Escape Velocity Nova: Starfleet Adventures

Actually, there is a Star Trek plug-in being created for Escape Velocity Nova. The offical website is

You can download and play a Alpha build of it at this time. It is unknown when a beta version will be released. In the game you start off as a Ltjg in command of a Hermes scout ship during I think 2265. And you can fly basically any Starfleet vessal built between the Classic Trek through the first six movies.

You should also read the Starfleet Adventures Discussion forum for information about major bugs and problems.
  8. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Back in the early 90s I played a lot of NetTrek. That was fun. It was ground breaking.