"Star Trek XI" in Development

Discussion in 'Community' started by clayj, Mar 1, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Uh oh.

I think Berman is worried about losing his job now that Enterprise has been canceled... gotta keep the Star Trek franchise moving or you're finished, huh, Rick?

2. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Rick Berman SHOULD lose his job. Some new blood is needed badly if they're going to continue.

Personally, I think a 5-10 year hiatus might be just what the franchise needs. Then again, the TNG crew is getting up there in years already (can it really be going on close to 20 years since the show started????), so they might want to make a movie while Patrick Stewart is still ambulatory.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Great. ZZZZZZ.

Besides, the odd numbered movies are always worse than the even ones, so this may not bode well.

Of course, it's the 4th TNG one, so maybe it will be okay.

4. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

"Oh...My"
    Maybe they go and dig Kirk up on that planet where he plays a lawyer and file suit on the Romulans :)

5. Kato C. macrumors member

:D Stewart was no spring chicken when TNG started!

I agree on a hiatus. However, that's not Hollywood: "Milk it 'till you kill it." It's all about maximizing your bonus this year, and who cares about the longer term....

6. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

*sigh*

I'm soooo bummed!! I thought Enterprise was so good!! I mean, in my eyes it was no Voyager, but it beat DS1 and TNG's pants off!! What is going on?! The TV will soon be ALL about Big Brother & other "C-list Celebrity" career revival shows. I'm going to go scream into a pillow.

*Faint muffled sound*

7. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

I agree that Rick Berman needs to go.

As for the TNG crew, I don't know if they are involved in the next movie. The rumor I heard was that this movie may be about the romulan war. It is just a rumor, but it would fit with Berman grasping at revitalizing the series. The romulan war is supposed to take place before kirk and after enterprise. I am sure that getting the entire TNG crew back could be expensive/difficult, where as setting the next movie outside of all the shows would let him introduce new (cheaper) characters.

A hiatus would be nice, but I think Kato C. got it right with Hollywood's motto, "milk it 'till you kill it".

8. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    "Uh, oh" is right...

Not only should Berman lose his job, but as I've previously stated he should be drawn and quartered as well. I can't think of anyone more singularly responsible for flushing the Star Trek franchise.

Not to sound like an old lady, but I remember when ST:TNG and even DS9 were on air and really thrilling to watch. Soon after Gene Roddenberry's passing began Berman's grab for power that resulted in several not-too-decent movies (after which, I believe, Patrick Stewart said he'd never do anything ST-related again), Voyager and Enterprise. Each iteration of Berman's "vision" for Star Trek seemed to get progressively worse, disconnected and shoddily put together.

</rant> :mad:

9. brap macrumors 68000

Apparently, it's an "untitled prequel", so I guess it'll be Scott Bakula. It wouldn't surprise me if Shatner didn't show his face, I mean, Berman is the "master" of time travel, and Bill's career isn't exactly on a high right now. Sigh.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    whatever the movie please do not bring shatner for a cameo PLEASE

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

HuH? :confused:

Shatner just won a Golden Globe (?) for his work on "Boston Legal," where, I might add, he's brilliant.

He most certainly on a high right now. A well-deserved one at that.

12. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

I think shatner in great in his other works, but I see his time on star trek as over. He was in generations, died and I think left on a good note. To bring him back in some sort of half witted time travel cameo would be stupid for the story as well as shatner's image as Kirk.

13. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Yes, it all makes sense when you realize that Berman has gone on record as saying his favourite TNG episodes were always the holodeck and time travel ones.

Enterprise was promising for about 1/2 dozen episodes, and then I realized it was going to be another one of Berman's "we'll just use time travel to solve everything at the end" messes.

14. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

15. brap macrumors 68000

I apologise for not following Hollywood goings-on, but the last thing I saw him in was a washing powder commercial :eek:

16. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

This is how they can bring Shatner back and avoid the whole campy Kirk/time travel crap: TNG Crew run into the spaceship carrying the aliens from Third Rock From The Sun back to their home planet. The Big Giant Head would be in command of this ship...of course. Zaniness would ensue.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's all uphill once you hit the low of being a regular on TekWar, unless you happened to also have been in a series with a chimp as a costar.

18. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

He was reasonably good in TJ Hooker...

I have to admit, though, I admire him for having made a successful career out of parodying himself. 3rd Rock, most of his TV commercials, etc.

19. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

I absolutely LOVED the bit on 3rd Rock where he was describing how, on his flight from East Rutherford, NJ to Rutherford, OH, he looked out the window and saw something on the wing of the plane, and Dick (John Lithgow) says, "The same thing happened to me!"... an obvious reference to the fact that both actors played characters on The Twilight Zone (Shatner in the 60s, Lithgow in the '83 TZ movie) who saw creatures outside their plane windows. In each case, no one else saw the creature, and both men were thought to be crazy... right up until the point that they saved the plane by driving the creature away.

20. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Obviously I haven't watched enough 3rd Rock!

But...but...but... I thought it was Bart Simpson that saw that creature? Did this Twilight Zone thing copy it? :confused:

(And for those people (you know you are out there) who will take this comment seriously :p :D )

21. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

And to think that Shatner was responsible for the mess that was TekWar....

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, he proved to be a lousy writer as well as a lousy actor. His best roles were cowboys.

As for a new Star Trek movie, I understood that anything new would be using the Voyager crew, although seeing Deep Space Nine hurtle through space would have some comedic effect--remember Space:1999?

23. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Please don't take my comments out of context. I am not suggesting Shatner should appear in *any* new Trek movies. (He shouldn't) All I'm saying -- and had a difference of opinion with -- is that his career is "at a low." As I said, he recently won a notable award for his work on "Boston Legal." I highly recommend you check the show out. (Legal drama starring James Spader of "Stargate" fame. Shatner won "Best Supporting Actor" for his role on the show.)

I'm not the world's greatest Shatner fan, but this show is good and it's largely because of him.

As for Trek movies...bah. Ditch the prequel concept. Trek needs to move forward, not backwards.

24. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I'll agree with you there. Simply because every time Berman goes back into Trek's timeline, he contradicts something that has already been established. It's probably not a big deal to the average movie-goer, but for those of us dyed-in-the-wool geeks who actually own things like the Star Trek Timeline book (yes, that is a confession), it's fairly annoying. Not because it means that my book isn't correct anymore, just that the man clearly has no respect with those who have gone before (primarily Roddenberry).

25. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Hey, I hear ya. I write for Trek (games) and every time they muck with the continuity it causes me problems!

Internal inconsistencies within a show are one thing (TNG, DS9, VOY), re-writing established Trek lore on a weekly basis (ENT)? Shoot me. Please. :)