Star Wars Attack of The Clones Documenteries and Extras

Discussion in 'Community' started by diorio, Dec 2, 2002.

1. diorio macrumors 6502a

Has anyone seen the extras on the Star Wars Attack of the Clones DVD? I thought they were excellent. I was particularly interested in the showing of how they made yoda digitally animated, and would be interested in learning more on careers in that field. Any digital animators or graphic designers out there? I'd be interested in seeing what you have to say about Star Wars and your career in general.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I play at 3D animation, not an animator yet, my job has many things other than animation that I need to do, unfortunately. Teabgs and jelloshotsrule are in training (school) but I think agreenster actually is doing it for a living.

But I have been active in 3D animation since 1990 and I've seen a lot of development in the training available to students who want to get into the game. You should PM those other 3 to find out more if they don't find this thread and add a comment or two.

And I haven't seen the Clones DVD yet, but I look forward to it.

D

3. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, maybe I'll PM those 3 to find out more, thanks Duke.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh, there is another very cool site to check out that has info and forums if you're interested in that sort of thing.

www.cgtalk.com

very cool site....

D

5. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, thanks a lot! I'll probably register and see whats going on, looks like a very happening place.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what exactly do you want to know?

i might rent that dvd to see that stuff... couldn't buy it.... too bad of a movie.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This link might be a good place to start....

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=31351

good luck.

D

8. gbojim macrumors 6502

9. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

What kind of classes in high school would help? What specifically are you studying? Is there any specific programming language that would help in this field? What do you generally do in a career involving 3D/Digital Animation?

The first documentary is very interesting, and the extras in general were worth the money. I thought the movie was good, but I'm one of those who would like almost anything George Lucas comes out with involving Star Wars.

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

take whatever art classes you can. drawing. graphic design. film. whatever you can... other than that, high school can only do so much. i didn't have any art classes in high school. went to a catholic school with very very few of those types of electives.

my major (and teabgs') is in film/tv. however, we are concentrating our studies in animation. i am doing mostly all computer animation. i've taken classes in which i've drawn animations. frame by frame. several of those classes. heck, i'll just run down briefly all my animation related classes.

intro to animation- learn the basics, and various forms. stop motion (mostly cut out stuff, not puppets/clay as much), hand drawn on film and on video, some photoshop/fcp stuff...

action analysis 1 and 2- study movement. learn how to animate characters actions and poses. learn the basics of good animation. squash/stretch, anticipation, etc. this is all hand drawn, unless you already have a 3D character ready to animate... though you could do it in flash or after effects if you so desired i guess.

intro to 3D- learn the basics of modeling and simple camera motion and dynamics... model 2 real objects, then a location, then make a short animation (10 seconds) with pretty much just camera movement.

intermediate 3D- model and rig a character... tough as crap. i did a humanoid, though not everyone does. mine came out terribly. ahh. sucky deformation.

digital animation- learn after effects and how to composite scanned animation drawings or use a puppet (digital puppet that is) to animate. finished product was like a minute and a half digital puppet animation made in after effects. learned animo some too.

i'm currently in animation production and advanced 3D. both of these are working towards a common goal/project in my case. anim. production is just animation in general, and most people do 2D. 3D is obviously all 3D and thus that's where i get technical help and such. 2D help is all about story basically. and shots. and such.

also taking storyboarding. basically self explanatory.

next semester i finish my film, and am taking a rendering/special effects class (in 3D) and a titles/special effects class (in 2D, using after effects).

we use maya at school. it's pretty much the standard, though other software is certainly still widely used and respected. it's all about the result, not the software.

what grade are you in?

i'd recommend doing a few things outside of taking art classes.

1. buy 2 or 3 animation books. i'd recommend richard williams guide to animation or whatever it's called. only cause i've heard it's pretty much the best.... never was one for reading myself... ha. but serioiusly, get exposed to the stuff as soon as you can. can only help.

2. if you can, get some software. maya PLE is free and is a heck of a tool for learning 3D. sure, your output is crapped up by the watermark, but who cares? spend a few months learning it and when you take your first 3D class in college, your work will be good enough to impress some folks. and you'll be ahead from the start.

a couple other things that could help... not sure how much of a drawer you are, but the better you are, the better off you are. i can't draw, and it limits me. sure, you can get a job without it, especially with big studios where everyone does very specialized stuff. but it'll help when you are making your films on your own... at least designs and poses would be a good thing to work on. also, study animations. keep doing what you do with the dvds. watch the extras. look at the storyboards and stuff. can't hurt. usually it's boring and cheesy, but worth a look.

are you looking to do 3D character stuff? or special effects? or what?

i'm torn at this point. started out with special effects in mind, but since i learned character mostly so far, that's caught my interest....

also, as far as colleges... there's 2 approaches. go to a very speciailized trade school... like rhode island school of design, or school of visual arts... where you'll draw a ton, and will learn all that stuff.... or go to a good film school (nyu, usc, etc) and learn it from that perspective...

the better name school you can get into/afford, the better off. cause it's all about connections. and certain schools have certain connections.

alright, hope that helps. feel free to ask more questions.

word
    out

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Just like Jello said, you need to take some art courses, general drawing. This helps you to visualize what you want to do - even if you're not the best artist, don't worry about it. The idea is that you train yourself to 'see' as an artist, and if you keep at it you'll find that you actually get better.

But its all practice, the more you do the better you get, sort of like anything you do.

Now, if you want to go the programming route, well, any object oriented programming language would work, C++ is good for a start, but you won't get into doing graphics immediately. Once you get going with that you can start doing the 3D graphics using OpenGL - this is generic enough for now, you'll get more than enough exposure to other options in college.

As for a career, well, any type of job using your skills is possible, provided you have a decent portfolio, demo reel or code examples. It will be more difficult to get a job right out of college unless you do the intern thing while in school or in the summers to make some contacts/get exposed to the industry.

The best thing is that you have the time now to start planning.

Personally, I love 3D animation, there is nothing better for me, especially when I create something new and can see it move on the screen.

Good luck,

D

12. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

First of all, thanks for all the information. I'm a junior in high school. Where do you get maya PLE? I'm not sure what exactly I want do, but I'm leaning towards 3D character stuff. What is a demo reel?

13. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will colleges offer intership programs? I appreciate all the info, hopefully I can figure out what I want to do.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It all depends, different schools might be affiliated with certain companies, but talk to jello and teabgs about this one. I think teabgs got an internship in NYC this summer.

D

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/ple/index.shtml - it might be a little intimidating, but if you look at some of the online tutorials and start to get into it, you might want to purchase a book on learning Maya. Also go check out the forums at cgtalk.com for tutorials and other info about Maya, they have a whole section devoted just to that.

A demo reel is basically a pared down version of your work, you edit it and use it to get people realize they need you. There are all sorts of expamples out there on line, go do a search at google and view some if you can, but don't be discouraged when you see some of the better ones, remember that professionals also have demo reels. :D

D

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

forgot about the programming questions...

yeah, take c++ or whatever you can in high school. and then in college, you can take a few other things. or go balls to the wall and double major in comp sci and animation/film... though, i'd never be able to do that myself.

internships- yes, you can definitely get internships. possibly not in the 3D field right away, but possibly. all depends what school you're at. right in nyc, it's a bit easier. i got one at a general film company that makes commercials. whereas teabgs' have been more animation oriented.

maya ple... you can either download the big ass file online (aliaswavefront.com) or you can give em like 5 bucks and they'll send you the cd....

to me, the cd would be best, unless you have a good high speed connection.

i'd say definitely take some drawing class or something. and get familiar with 3D, as well as the principles of animation. if you're doing special effects stuff, those principles don't apply as much... though still good to know. but character stuff, it's vital.

and yeah, demo reel=examples of your work. edited to about 1-2 mins. that and connections are how you'll get jobs...

good luck

ps. we expect at least one character, rigged and modeled, before christmas.... ;) ;)

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hahaha! Where's yours?

How is the fishy animation going, anyway?

D

18. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, we'll see what happens.

19. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, a demo reel is basically a 1-2 minute video of your animated work? Thanks for the aliaswavefront link.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

he was joking diorio! If you manage to create your own character, rig it and animate a simple walk cycle I will be very impressed. Play with the software and see how it goes, don't be intimidated since its quite overwhelming. Start out small and work your way up - you could jump right into it, but you'd most likely get frustrated. Like I said, find some beginning tutorials online and see where it takes you.

There is so much to learn, you can't learn it all in a few months, its just not possible. I've been doing it for years and I still have tons to learn, but I'm loving every minute of it. :D

D

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

a walk cycle...

i'd be impressed if he did that by next christmas.

animation's going well. will have a pose animatic type version of it for my final classes next week. might post it then. mostly finished modeling (have some set stuff, and another tweak of a character). need to texture lots of the set, and i might retexture the clam. the moer i work with it, the more i hate the texture.

and such

22. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

I kind of hoped. I don't even own a mac yet, when I get one Durandle7 is going to lend me some basic software. Until then I will try to get the maya demo cd rom, and maybe buy a few books, try out some online tutorials and such. Again, thanks for the links and advice.

23. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't count on it, maybe by the end of the school year.;) Good luck on all of your finals.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What type of machine are you planning on getting. 3D animation is very CPU intensive, so the faster the better, and definitely get lots of RAM.

D

25. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm debating between upper end ibook, or imac. The imac would be more powerful, and I'm leaning towards that one. The ibook would be handy though. What do you recommend?