Star Wars Battlefront for Mac!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Eevee, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

2. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

yeah, I was reading about that as well. I have the game on both PS2 and XBOX. It is a great game but the lag is disgusting!!

Lets hope that they will produce a version that elimitates it.

aussie_geek

3. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

ehhhh....... It's sucks on pc, I'd rather play it on xbox..

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

This is good news. I hate playing this on the PS2. And I just upgraded my graphics card on my G5 to the powerful GeForce 6800 GT.

5. lordmac macrumors regular

really I found it to much better on the computer then on consoles. The graphics were much more crisp and it seemed to load faster. Also on the computer you can go in to first person view rather then the 3rd person view that it only lets you be in the console version. Also this may just be me but I like playing first person shooters much better with a mouse and keyboard.

6. LimitedEdition macrumors member

I played it on PC and it wasn't very excitiing. It's a great premise, taking part in all those movie battles, but the implementation just - I don't know - there's something boring about it.

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I hope Aspyr gets the Gamespy thing sorted out, because this game would lose Mac/PC compatibility. I think Glenda already stated that she think this isn’t such a great deal, but I think she’s wrong.

8. Studawg7 macrumors regular

actually, the Xbox version lets you choose which view you want.

9. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Yeah, you can go First person in the console versions. Plus in the pc version there are some nasty glitches, such as rolling into certain wall allows you to "clip" to get inside them and be able to shoot out, but no get shot. That one really sucks.

10. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

you can do this on the PS2 also. It is a great game, only problem with it is the lag. hope they find a way to fix that.

11. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Are you guys talking about network lag, or FPS lag? and on what systems?

12. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Network lag, I am experiencing it on the PS2, but I believe they are on the Xbox as well.

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

This game looked so cool, but got such disapointing reviews. It'll make an awesome long weekend when it hits the $19.99 shelf. Hopefully Aspyr will do a good job with the network subsystem and eliminate the lag problems that everyone seems to complain about. Even if it is Mac vs Mac only, I'd rather have a GOOD online experience than Mac/PC online compatibility.

Rob

14. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

For the past while, i have been sad about the gamespy issue. But to be honest, my experience with gamspy has been very dissapointing. I can't connect to 90% of the servers for various patch/punkbuster/mod issues. When i use gameranger, it's a much more enjoyable experience.

I tend to agree with you. Mac people are much more fun to play with... and alot more easy to kill :p

No really, it seems like a home-ier population...

15. lordmac macrumors regular

I highly agree

I highly agree with you, I remember back a few times in halo when they didn't get the latest patch out for mac at the same time they did for pc and as a result the only people you played with were mac people. It was really much more fun with just mac people, everyones was much nicer and also like you said, it didn't seem like everyone you played was a million time better then you, like it dose when you play with all the pc people, whom seem to spend their whole lives playing video games. The only bad part was the limited selection of servers but it wasn't that bad and something that I would deal with to be gaming with much cooler people. :D

Also Sry when I played the ps2 version at my friends house I asked him how do I go into first person mode and he kept saying you can't(and what I mean by first person mode is were you can only se your hand and your gun.). I assumed that all the consul versions were the same way to So sorry for being misleading. But out of curiosity how do you go in to first person mode in the ps2 version then. : :p

16. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Aspyr was not able to reach a deal with GameSpy. So therefore the battles may be smaller in Battlefront. But then again, on the BF1942 demo I have played in games of 33 people over GR, which is mac only. I think GameRanger should step in to this whole mac online gameing issue. They are already so popular.

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'd really like to see Aspyr step up and create a Battle.net style online enviroment for their games. Some sort of Mac only application that automattically detects any (multiplayer) Aspyr games installed on your system, keeps them up to date, ensures they are legit (online SN checking) so you don't need a CD, checks for cheats, has a voice chat server/client built in, and of course let you create and join game rooms. Updating older titles to take advantage of it would be a nice touch as well.

They seem to port alot of the top shelf titles for Mac, so why not have their own consistant online presense in the Mac world? It can only help Mac gaming in general.

Rob

18. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

GameRanger does most of this already. If Aspyr paid gameranger a contract fee, they could make all accounts premium and allow everyone to voice chat. I think they just need to come togather (MacSoft included) and strike a very agreeable deal that is free to those who game on the mac. GameRanger has it's act togather, and does tell you what versions are required to join/create a specific game. I don't know if it does SN checking though... sure that could be added though.

19. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Yes. GameRanger is huge. There would be plenty of games.

20. davidwes macrumors regular

64mb vram required

Did anyone else notice that 64mb of vram is required to play this thing. Thats a huge amount of computers that can't play this game! I mean, we all know the mac market for games is not the "biggest" and then you eliminate half the potential buyers. Then you complain your mac sales are not big enough!!!
    David

21. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

No not at all for the newer computers. Of course, my iBook can't handle 64mb, but I have the Xbox to play it on.

22. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

What are they supposed to do? Release the game with 50% crappier graphics in order for early imac'rs and ibook'rs to play the game at half the speed of an xbox? This is a fairly advanced game, and it would take them more time to go retro and try to get this to run on half the hardware specs it was intended for. Aspyr doesn't make Mac games, they port games to mac. don't blame aspyr. blame whoever developed the game.

Just sorta an FYI: Game Devs don't make NEW cutting-edge games that run on OLD hardware.

One of the downsides in owning an All-in-one... can't upgrade that OLD hardware.

23. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

SW: BF is a great game. I play it mostly on XBox, but on Live - it's impossible. There is constant lag. I haven't played it in over a month, so maybe things have improved. LAN is not a problem with SW: BF on XBox - especially on two 50 inch Sonys.

It does look better on PC (2.8, 1GB, 128 GeForceGo 5600), but I wasn't happy about the Gamespy thing.

24. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

So it's a great game, huh? Can't wait to get it on my PB! Hopefully, the lag problem will be fixed. Was the lag problem the same as Halo when it first came out when playing multiplayer? What was wrong w/ the Gamespy thing?

Star Wars III will be out by May, and SW:BF will be out by June. Awesome!

25. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The lag problem was on XBox Live. I don't know about Gamespy. I did not play SW: BF PC on Gamespy, because of the subscription fee (unless I am grossly mistaken).