Star Wars Battlefront

Discussion in 'Games' started by J@ffa, Jul 23, 2005.

1. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

This game, in single player at least, is pretty damn cool. However, trying to connect to a multiplayer game causes it to instantly crash, without fail. Any ideas what's up with that?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A bit more detail please :)

What OS, have you repaired permissions, etc?

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't want to sound negative or like I'm accusing you of anything, but you do have a legal licensed copy with CD? Not just a downloaded copy or a no-cd crack?

4. J@ffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

10.4.2, and yes, I have repaired permissions.

Yes I do. It's been available in the UK for a few days - received it on Friday.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Sorry I had to ask. Sometimes people can't get non-licenced games to work and it's because they are cracked. I didn't want people to waste time trying to fix the impossible.

Now back to the problem. Did you try reinstalling the game?

6. J@ffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

No - I was going to try that, but then a friend of mine has the exact same problem, and I tried my copy on another machine and it wouldn't work, so I'm assuming it's not an isolated incident. One thought I did have is that all these machines are G5's, but surely Aspyr would have picked that one up before shipping? I've sent in a formal support request to them, but obviously we'll have to wait till at least tomorrow to get a response.

7. orbital~debris macrumors 6502

orbital~debris

Yeah, seems like a very cool game so far.

I have only played for a few minutes since I got the game on Friday, but I have noticed that there seems to be an audio problem (at least, on my system: iMac G5 with original SoundSticks via USB).

There's a constant 'buzzing' in the background. It sounds like it should be background noise, like bassy power noises or vehicle engines, that is somehow being distorted.

I can't seem to find out anything about it, and no one else seems to have encountered the same issue. Then again, not many people are talking about it - has it not reached shelves in the U.S.A. yet?

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The buzz in the US is over. It's been out for months.

9. J@ffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Not for the mac!

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Correct. But when talking about computer game buzz, you have to take into consideration the Windows version which came out a while ago. A large percent of gamers play games on non-Macs. While many people still play it, the "buzz" is over.

11. orbital~debris macrumors 6502

orbital~debris

Yeah, but since i'm posting an experience i've had with a new Mac game, on a Mac related website, I'd have thought that the fact that it's been available for Windows for some time is more or less irrelevant...

Anyway - has anyone who has the new Mac version had similar problems?

I've tried changing the sound settings - altering the 3D sound to low, high and off - with no success in eliminating the distortion so far.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

But a lot of Mac users play games on other systems. Not all, but a good number.

Do you have problems with any other sound producing program? Games, iTunes, etc? Do you have any of these programs open while trying to play Battlefront? I'm not very familiar with the length or types of wires of the SoundSticks, but do you have the wires coiled or wrapped?

13. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

On aspyr game agent it says that it has been out since June. Though it stills says coming soon. Is it out or not?

14. msbsound macrumors regular

Shipped

According to insidemacgames.com it shipped to store shelves on tuesday or wednesday and should be available early this week. Here's a link

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=11633

15. orbital~debris macrumors 6502

orbital~debris

Thanks for your suggestions. But why do you keep on about my thinking that more people would have been talking about it? I've never heard other people being down on fellow Mac users enjoying a new release for their platform of choice. Just constructive criticism - I don't mean to offend.

I have no similar issues with any other sound producing software. iTunes sounds great, never had distortion like this. DVD Player also no probs. Even GarageBand on the few times I've used it has not exhibited this issue.
    The SoundSticks wires are draped over shelves and behind a radiator, not particularly coiled or anything.

I do have other apps running whilst I play Battlefront, including iTunes (stopped), but it seems unlikely that this is affecting the game - the thing is, the distortion is not affecting all sound in the game. Sounds of weapons and voices are OK and distinguishable from the background 'buzzing', and the game menu music is clear and undistorted.

16. orbital~debris macrumors 6502

orbital~debris

Here's what the Aspyr Media Support people said (pretty good reply with some interesting points). Unfortunately I'm still having the problem after having tried all their suggestions and followed their instructions for reinstalling the game into a new location…

Sound issues like this often occur because the resolution is too high.
    Try lowering the resolution and see if that helps. If this doesn't help, I recommend the following troubleshooting steps. Try running the Repair Disk Permissions function of the Disk Utility located in Applications/Utilities. Also, avoid installing the game to Applications or the Desktop; there are permissions conflicts that can arise when games are installed here. Games work best when they are installed in the Users/Shared folder or in a separate games folder on the top/root level of your hard drive.
    If the game is not currently stored in one of the two aforementioned locations then sometimes just moving the game is not enough and it is necessary to reinstall. Reinstalling also gets rid of any game data that may have become corrupt. Be sure to trash the game's preferences files located in Home/Library/Preferences and Home/Library/Application Support and Home/Documents when you do so. Then just trash the current copy of the game and install a new copy.

This should take care of the problem for you.
    Thanks for playing Battlefront™
    ------
    Aspyr Support Team

Does anyone else have a suggestion?
    What can I try next?

17. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Humm, looks like it might be wise to wait for the first patch? I had my eye on this one. Not keen on paying $50 for the Mac version of a $20 PC game with some potential sound issues/insta-crash.

:(

18. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Other than reinstalling OS X (which I doubt will make a difference, but who knows?), you've done all there is too do. It's either a bug or driver/hardware/device conflict that you can't fix. Sorry.

19. QuiXander macrumors newbie

Bad Cd-Key!

I get an error after entering the CD key from the sticker on the back of the CD case.
    Everytime it says "Bad Cd-Key!".

Any one else had this problem? This is very annoying as I ordered this game on June 13th and I had to wait this long to get a dud.

I put in an e-mail to Aspyr tech support and I'm waiting for a reply.
    Tick-Tick-Tick
    Oh heck I'll just go play it on PS2.
    Maybe it will come out for PSP before I get a new CD-Key.

20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Did you mind your 1's and l's? And your 0's and O's?

21. orbital~debris macrumors 6502

orbital~debris

Also worth a try:

Is there a CD Key printed on the inside of the box insert (seen inside case when open) visible through the transparent plastic?

That's where mine was…

Then again, there was no sticker on the back of my box.

22. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Hmm...I was planning to purchase this game ($50 Mac, $20 PC :mad:) for my 15" PB, but after reading the posts from orbital~debris and QuiXander, maybe I should wait...

But I do hope you guys get the game to work.

Good luck and let me know how you solve the problem

23. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Same problem here. Dual G5 and a Powerbook - both can't read the CD key. It almost looks like it got cut off. An email was sent by me too.

24. Kirtus macrumors newbie

I drove to the apple store over 200 miles round trip to get this game. I came in the house all excited and "Bad Cd-Key!". I am Hot, But like you I sent an email to aspyr and hopefully I can play tomorrow.

25. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Me to!!! I'm planning on calling Aspyr today at 10 am so I'll have more about this around noon.