Star Wars Episode III Title Revealed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Durandal7, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The title's not horrible, I guess, but the logo - to my eyes - sucks. "SITH" stands out too much.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

After three long years of relentless fighting, the Clone Wars are nearly at an end. The Jedi Council dispatches Obi-Wan Kenobi to bring General Grievous, the deadly leader of the Separatist droid army, to justice. Meanwhile, back on Coruscant, Chancellor Palpatine has grown in power. His sweeping political changes transform the war-weary Republic into the mighty Galactic Empire. To his closest ally, Anakin Skywalker, he reveals the true nature of power and the promised secrets of the Force in an attempt to lure him to the dark side.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Why I have the impression this movie is going to be very dissapointing :confused:

5. sethypoo macrumors 68000

That's a funny "impressioin", but I think it's going to be pretty cool.

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Umm, because the last two were.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The last 3 movies including Jedi. Ewoks killed that movie and I can still hear that terrible song at the end.

8. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

It's only dissapointing if you have high hopes for it. After the last two I'm not sure if high hopes are possible..

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't see how it could be disappointing. Episode III will finally tie the whole story together. Doctor Q had a very interesting synopsis.

10. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Aside from bad acting and too much CGI ruining the first two episodes, I think the main reason they are perceived as sucking is because they are dark stories with unhappy endings being sold to an audience that cannot comprehend non-heroic, unhappy endings where justice doesn't always triumph and the good guy really doesn't always win.

Sometimes I think Lucas is making these first three more out of a grim sense of duty to explain the back-story than out of any real passion to tell the stories. (And of course he's also making them to rake in gobs of cash, but aside from that.)

That being said, I don't know what anyone is doing complaining about the title or the logo. It's nearly a carbon-frozen copy of the Return of the Jedi title and logo. It worked then; why shouldn't it work now?

11. Apple //e macrumors 6502

no, they really did suck

the best description of these movies would be an anagram of "sith"

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Did they actually use "Revenge of the..." in the title? Are you kidding me?!

Man, this is really sad. I wanted to think of something clever to say, but the very presence of Episode III in this thread has robbed me of all creativity.

It's like creative diffusion, and the creativity is definitely flowing from areas of high concentration (the rest of the world, bar nothing) to areas of low concentration (Skywalker Ranch).

Apple //e: I don't think that 'hits' describes these movies well. :D

13. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Uh, ESB is considered by many to be the best episode of the SW series. Did that have a happy ending :confused:

14. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Those two reasons are pretty much why the movies blew so much for me. The script wasn't great either but I think it could have been salvagable with at least moderatly good acting. :rolleyes:

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The greatest quote ever: "Uhhh, I love you very much." Actually, that might not have been the quote, but it would have been very much in keeping with the sharp intellect crafted for Mr. Anakin Skywalker in Episode II.

Casting was unbearable. Writing was worse. The CGI tried desperately to make up for both, and, as in all movies in which CGI tries to replace good cinema, it miserably failed.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

themadchemist: best post of the week. I like getting a big chuckle now and then, especially when I don't expect it.

17. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Well I have been disappointed with the past two movies, but I hope that this movie can be better, I do look forward to watching all 6 in a row;)

18. cubist macrumors 68020

And compare that quote to:
    "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've created."
    "Apology accepted."
    "Your friends will see the power of this fully operational battle station."

Agree with Dale Sorel, ESB is the high point of the series. Opening action of Episode IV (first movie) is pretty good too, though.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i love SW, but the more i see Clone Wars on Cinemax, the worse it gets.
    The acting is just deplorable, with their odd silences, thin dialog, and the actors give the impression that they're reading. I have an impression that Lucas is 'somewhat' uncomfortable with actors. I've seen his early stuff from his college days and it is just shapes and music. Cinema in its purest form, just images. Although episodes 3-6 seem to have decent acting, its logical that he has more 'control' over the latest ones so they're thin in the acting department.

20. Waluigi macrumors 6502

I'm going to love Revenge of the sith! A lot of people complain about the 'poor' acting, and 'unreal' CGI. While this movie isn't nearly as well acted as The Godfather, or will have as good CGI as Return of the King, it's the story that I love! When I watch star wars movies, I'm literally taken to a galaxy far far away. The story is incredible, and Lucas really does encapsulate me like few directors can. While not perfect, this movie will be excellent in my eyes. Less then 300 days!

--Waluigi

21. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

After the last two, my attitude can best be summed up as "Meh."

The acting was as good as it could be with the dialogue the actors were given (What was Anakin's line? "Your love is like a virus, a cancer in my soul."?) With the last one, it seemed GL was trying to create some sort of homage to the campy, cheesy Sci-Fi flicks from the 50's instead of making it with a great respect for the story; quite frankly, it's an amazing story, that with the last two installments has been squandered and desecrated. I'll see it nonetheless.

*sigh* I wish Lucas had taken Spielberg up on his offer to direct Episode III. That would bring me at least a small amount of comfort.

22. Morrison23j macrumors newbie

Who cares about the title because we all know that if your a Star Wars fan or even like Star Wars, your going to see the movie, even though it probably will blow.
    Why?
    1.Because we want to see the end of the beginning.

2.And we already wasted our time watching the first two.

3.Star Wars is awesome.

So who cares about a non-creative title to a probably crappy movie that we'll all see because its a Star Wars movie.

23. EminenceGrise macrumors member

The last two movies have just stunk. I mean, really, something is rotten in Skywalker Ranch - and I think it's the putrifying corpse of the Star Wars series. While I think the casting was acutally OK, the scripts were totally worthless. I recall reading a review after the first movie that summed things up fairly well - it went along the lines of "There's only so much an actor can do with 'Dick and Jane go to Naboo'". I think it's quite telling that the screenplay for what is widely regarded as the best movie in the series (ESB) was not written by Lucas. Lucas is a good idea man and visionary, but quite frankly the last two movies have proven he's not the best screenplay writer, or director. It'a a shame too, because while I love the original three movies, these last two have kind of turned me off of the whole thing.

And the CGI - total crap. It doesn't blend into the background seamlessly like in LoTR as it should, no, it jumps out and screams "WHAM! Here I am!" - no wait, make that "Meesa here!" - and then proceeds to bludgeon you to death with it. Over and over. And over again. And again. (Side note: what brain trust came up with JarJar? Nice convenient marketing tie in guys. My only hope is that one day you are cornered in a dark alley and brutally beaten by a mob of Star Wars fanatics wielding JarJar action figures and shouting "Weesa gonna kick your sorry little a**es!". Wankers.) The stuff from the old movies is so much better, and all they used were models - but they looked real enough and weren't intrusive. The "Ooooh, shiny CGI!" thing is extemely tiresome, and not what I expected from the likes of George Lucas. Not at all. The only CGI I liked in either movies were the chrome spaceships - and that was what, 5min of footage at the most?

I liked the original movies, and it's not like they were particularly well written or acted either ("But... but you'll die." comes to mind...) - but at least the special effects added to the story rather than were the story. Yes, I can even forgive the Ewoks (actually I kind of like them). What happened with Episodes I and II was a crime. As far as I'm concerned, Star Wars is dead to me outside of Episodes IV,V, and VI - though I will still probably watch Episode III at some point. I've been through it this long, might as well stick around to see the final nail in the coffin.

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's funny that this news came out today, because I just happened to have watched the movie "Down With Love" today, starring Ewan McGregor. I think he's a better song and dance man than he is a Jedi, but it really doesn't matter. Unless... hmmm... might Revenge of the Sith be a musical?