Star Wars III to open at Cannes

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by munkle, Feb 22, 2005.

1. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

From London Today

2. brap macrumors 68000

Aha!

Cool. I've never seen any of the movies, so I guess come May I'll have finished my exams, and will be up for a 6-movie marathon. I'll probably be one of very few people with no exposure to the last 3 able to do it :D

3. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Cue lots of French (and other nationality) journalists guffawing at stiilted dialogue, crazy characters and some artificial looking special effects.

Although I will go to see it when it comes out. Ya know. Just to see how it ends... :rolleyes:

4. munkle thread starter macrumors 68030

munkle

I know I should have learnt from the disappoint of the last two but the trailer has got me pretty excited.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would prefer to see Star Wars III premiere in the US. This is just very disappointing in my opinion. :(

6. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Why? a lot of the biggest movie festivals are outside US and Lucas should be very happy that they allowed his movie to screen there.

I just hope that this time Lucas give credit where credit is due... A lot of the architecture they CGed in SW was inspired (copied) from real building but they never mentioned it anywhere... sorry cant find the link ;-S

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This might mean they're expecting an OK reception for the movie.

If it was truly awful, then I doubt they'd be pushing for a Cannes premiere – the world's media is there, just waiting to put the boot in.

8. munkle thread starter macrumors 68030

munkle

Random bit of trivia: The lightsaber that Obi-Wan will use in this movie, will be the same as the one in Star Wars (1977).

9. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I'm also disappointed. Star Wars will likely dominate press coverage of the festival, to the detriment of more deserving films.

I don't have a problem with Star Wars (aside from the obvious) but Cannes just isn't the place for the premiere.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i thought something like the chinese theatre would be more apt but whatever george wants i guess george gets...cept good reviews that is

11. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I can't wait. i was really hoping that they would release the second trailer at Sundance. Does anyone know when the next trailer comes out? You know the one H.264 was supposed to show off at MWSF. :D

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Am I the only one that forgot that they still owed us a movie? :p Hmmm...well, I guess it can't be any worse than the last one.

13. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Yeah, I was hoping it would be in US, very disappointing indeed. :mad:

14. unfaded macrumors 6502

...uh, who cares what country it premieres in? Doesn't it matter about a million times more if it's good or bad?

15. AnewMac macrumors regular

As long as the ending doesn't get spoiled before it opens here, I am fine with it. I just hope it is good, please George, dont let me regret my 10 bucks :eek:

16. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I think I know the ending - Episodes 4 - 6 kinda give it away! Just to check brap - I'm gonna right something below just to make sure you don't find out the surprise (although I'd recommend you watch 4 - 6 - Lost Hope to Return of the Jedi - to get the best experience from the films)! Anyway - spoiler check!

R2-D2: Luke, I am your father...

Just highlight away to get the (non)-spoiler! Ish.

EDIT: Actually, brap. Dn't highlight it. Probably ruins the whole trilogy for you.

17. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I think I know the ending - Episodes 4 - 6 kinda give it away! Just to check mudbug - I'm gonna right something below just to make sure you don't find out the surprise (although I'd recommend you watch 4 - 6 - Lost Hope to Return of the Jedi - to get the best experience from the films)! Anyway - spoiler check!

R2-D2: Luke, I am your father...

Just highlight away to get the (non)-spoiler! Ish.

EDIT: Actually, brap. Dn't highlight it. Probably ruins the whole trilogy for you.

EDIT EDIT: Aw dammit. Double post. Can some mod delete this for me? Cheers :rolleyes:

18. BryanSeven macrumors newbie

For one day in my life, i actually wish i was french.

19. LimitedEdition macrumors member

I don't think it's really appropriate to launch it there. It is big enough to have it's own dedicated launch.

20. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

If it's as bad as the last two movies, I don't think it's appropriate to release the movie at all. :p

21. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

bummer

I think that this sucks, but not bc it won't be in the US first.

It sucks for taking attention away from real cinema.

Episode 1 and 2 were horrible in my opinion. They relied on CG too much, and IMO the acting was horrible, even though the actors are great in other films. I saw EP 1 in the theater, but waited for EP 2 to come on cable. Sure the story is great but I bet the Books were better. The acting can't compare to Luke, Han, and Lea.

Am I the only one that thinks that the special effects (light sabre, lazers, and spacecraft) look more realistic in the originally 3 films? The models (in the old) look better than the CG (in the new.)?

I will see this film, but I am in no rush.

There will be much better films, unfortunately overlooked, at Cannes.