Star Wars Jedi Knights of Old Republic on Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by noelmac75, Feb 5, 2004.

1. noelmac75 macrumors regular

Anyone know if Star Wars knight of the old Republic will be getting ported to the Mac, I dont see why they shouldnt since all the other titles have

2. dwishbone macrumors regular

ive got it for xbox. its fantastic. i hope they bring it to the mac. its a fantastic game. it was definitely game of the year material. the depth of the story and character interactions seems nearly endless.

3. taylan macrumors newbie

don't think so

i heard that it was very unstable on pc and that they were no longer supporting it totally. i don't think anyone would take the time to port it to mac. i would wait for the world of warcraft if i were you.

cheers,
    taylan

4. dwishbone macrumors regular

Re: don't think so

i think you are confusing KOTOR with Star Wars: Galaxies. I have heard nothing but great things about the PC version of KOTOR.
    the game just rocks. the combat system needed some more polish, but other than that it is fantastic.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Chalk up one more guaranteed buyer of KOTOR for the Mac! I've played the xbox game quite a bit, and would love to be able to take it with me in my 15 inch bundle of kick ass!

6. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Played it on the Xbox. Awesome game! Beat it once playing on the light side (30-40 hours of gameplay) and got 10 hours in playing the game over on the dark side. The game is that damn good. I'd just buy an Xbox so you can get it and Halo 2 (when it comes out:D).

7. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Re: don't think so

I have Star Wars KotOR for PC, and it is very stable. They released 1.01 update not too long ago and that fixed the few bugs that I found.

This is a great game that can be played more than once.

I think the requirements are pretty hefty even on a PC, so if it is ported you probably have to have a newer Mac to play it.

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

KOTOR is a directX game. Mac does not have directx and never will. if kotor was opengl at least you would have chance of a port to the mac.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

It still can be ported to the Mac. Many games on the Mac were ports of games that originally used DirectX (Halo for example). A little porting work works wonders. It has a definite chance of being ported, but it is completely up to the publisher and development company to allow a porting company to see the source code.

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

do you realize porting directx->opengl the word "little" doesn't apply. halo was developed simulatanously on the Mac and PC, which is a different situation that KOTOR. The pc side would write their code and the Mac ppl would have to reproduce it which is damn hard to do.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/sulak_interview.092303/

11. applekid macrumors 68020

You obviously don't understand how a port is done. Let me explain it to you. First, look at the System Requirements for the following games that have been ported/will be ported to the Mac:

Age of Mythology
    America's Army
    Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
    Neverwinter Nights
    Command & Conquer: Generals
    No One Lives Forever 2

They all require some version of DirectX. The PC development team and publisher only needs to give the porting house the code and they work from there.

How Halo got ported to the Mac from the PC version is essentially the SAME as porting any of those games above. The only difference was Halo was being done simultaneously as the PC version only shortening the development/porting time. Nearly every (if I was confident enough, I'd say all) single PC game ported to the Mac was done by translating the PC assembly code and DirectX code so that it works on a Mac and OpenGL. Then the code is optimized so it runs well on Mac. It is not "damn hard to do." It's the same procedure porting houses always go through. Perhaps a bit difficult, but it's nothing new to them.

Now, I'm not saying it's for sure that KOTOR will be ported, BUT it has a perfectly fine chance of getting ported. There's other factors like how well did the game sell on the PC side (it usually has to be a top 10 game), for example. But, the question is did any porting houses get the rights to port the game to the Mac.

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Halo has been no different. If you ask anyone at Westlake, they'll probably say that co-development is the single most difficult and costly thing to pull off with a port.....Trying to modify PC code that's changing on a daily (and sometimes hourly) basis is an extremely frustrating experience.
    http://halo.bungie.org/misc/sulak_interview.092303/

if that doesn't mean damn hard i dunno what else would?

we are saying the same thing, kotor won't be ported because its in directx.

now breath and count to 10...

13. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

I'm on the PC version, i'm nearly at the end and i've only hit one major bug (which was worked around with a quick file delete while the game was running).

Porting to Mac would be fantastic as really this game is the only reason i still own a PC!

14. dwishbone macrumors regular

i dont believe im saying this...then buy an Xbox. its not a bad system. i own all 3 consoles and the GC is my favorite...but honestly the Xbox is gaining points with me fast. KOTOR is great on it too.
    currently ive got 3 of the 4 star maps and escaped the le...oops...thats a spoiler. the story on this game just blows my mind. if they do make any other star wars movies...they better let these guys write it. i love the entire setting of KOTOR and the story rulez.

15. t^3 macrumors regular

16. dwishbone macrumors regular

17. Golem macrumors 6502

lol Kotor has been on my list for a month or so of games that might be worth buying and I read this thread a couple of days ago and saw it at kmart for the XBox last night and brought it. If I had known it was coming for mac I would have waited:(

18. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Don't feel bad. Bioware's next RPG, Jade Empire, will be Xbox only and judging from their list of games so far, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale 1/2, and KOTOR, JE will rock.

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I played KOTOR on the XBox up until I hit the invisibility cut scene bug... unfortunately I'm one of those 1 or 2 saves is all I keep sorta guys... soooo.... instead of restarting over I just watched the ending when my roommate beat it.

20. applekid macrumors 68020

You missed the point completely and didn't even look at the links. I don't think you read my post at all.

We are not saying the same thing at all. KOTOR can be ported to the Mac despite the PC version using DirectX. Read my last post again. You missed the whole thing about what goes into a port.

Halo agreeably was probably harder to port than any of their previous games because it required updates to the code so often since Gearbox was sending the code on a day-to-day or hour-to-hour basis. But, that does not mean a port in general is hard to do.

21. silver6x macrumors newbie

hey i spose you could just sell it, or if you haven't taken it out of it's plastic, return it.
    then again.. it's not confirmed it's coming to mac, but if does end up getting confirmed, i think i'll cream my pantalones just thinking about playing it at home on my mac. :)

22. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Just 1 or 2 saves?? I had well over a hundred saves for just the first time a played it. I had to delete them though because the saves were taking 1.5Gigs of Hard Drive space.

23. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Ahh, well i already own a PS2, also games like that where i think a mouse is essential just cant be rated against playing on a good PC platform... like UT and HL ...sorry :(

24. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Actually, KotOR for PC use OpenGL for graphics, not Direct3D. And it use Miles for sound, which is a cross-platform sound system.

DirectX is probably only used for input (keyboard/mouse).

Kinda like NWN...

25. dwishbone macrumors regular

in response to the mouse comment...i think KOTOR would be MORE difficult to play with a mouse than without. the only thing a mouse would help on is working the menus...but the controller does just fine for that...plus you can pause and work them if you need to.

and about DirectX...didnt they do a pseudo-port of DirectX called MacDX or something like that? it was used for bringing Wipeout and a few other games to the mac.