Star Wars Kid Suing Classmates

Discussion in 'Community' started by Capt Underpants, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The Star Wars Kid (the guy in scem0's avatar) is seeking psychiatric care after a video of him acting like Darth Vader was digitized and posted on file sharing sites. Apparently the video was so mentally distressing that he dropped out of his regular school and finished the semestar in the Psychiatric ward. I feel sorry for the kid. Public humiliation can be very distressing, especially when that public humiliation is being transformed and downloaded thousands of times per day by millions of file sharers.

Star Wars Kid files Lawsuit

Second Article

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think the moral of this story is don't tape yourself doing things that you might be embarassed of other people seeing plain and simple. I say its his problem for hitting record.....he did buy/build the toy he used and obviously owned a recording device ...he shoudl have thought worse case scneario a little more....

this leads me to my second point, American Pie, the original shoudl be mandatory to watch in school in like 7th grade....kids can learn about everything, and then we can say hey you were warned.

3. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I do think that worst case scenario being that the video of you acting like a fool becomes a widespread download on P2P programs, causing you to drop out of school and go into psychiatric care is a little far fetched. Who would think of that worst case scenario? I certainly wouldn't.

4. jadariv macrumors regular

Someone at my office played that thing for a few of us. Needless to say he was the only one laughing. He doesn't get to forward anything to the rest of us anymore.

It's one thing to be in on a joke and realize you are doing or did something dumb. But those kids that digitized that footage and put it on Kazaa should be ashamed of themselves. I remember the kids in school who endured the most picking on and this is just on some different plain. The parents should be asking for millions.

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Sad...

Being the person that brought the Star Wars Kid to MacRumors, I feel responsible for some of the pain that he is going through. But really, there is nothing that anyone can really do to ease the pain that this kid is experiencing...

P-Worm

6. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Re: Sad...

It's okay, P-worm. It isn't your fault. Maybe if they win the case, the money will make him feel better.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

no but worse case scenario was that someone else would see it and he would be embarassed/ashamed, him dropping out of school was his won choice because he couldn't handle that an action he took was embarassing, I seriously think that if he wins a lawsuit like that it should be over defamation of character not mental anguish/embarassment. America is becoming entirely too litigious, jesus whats next the owners of that monkey who smelled his finger are going to sue whoever first posted that? If anything this kind can build some character from this experience.

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

hmmm. i really dont know how to feel about this one. i think he was pretty dumb to record it, but hey he's in the seventh grade. if i was doing something stupid at that age and had access to a camera, i probably would have filmed it too. i think the kids who put it on the web have big problems, but at the same time this kid needs a thicker skin than he is showing. if he had the right attitude about it, he would be fine. or if he just kicked the guys asses. that probably would have worked too.

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The big question is... will scem0 now change his 'tar?

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'd rather hear that the kid was going to get rich by getting commercial sponsors than by bleeding other kids' families. If he doesn't get a part in a Star Wars movie, maybe he could lose weight and star in Subway (submarine sandwich) ads.

Did he ever get the iPod or the money they raised?

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I watched it because of the posting here and thought... so what? It's just some 7th grader acting like a 7th grader. It's like a version of air guitar and I STILL do that at my old age.
    Folks have too much time on their hands and want to fill it with SOMETHING, and/or the folks who actually think it's funny have a crappy sense of humor. I mean, it's right up there with that idiotic dancing baby/hamster/jesus fad that lasted all of 2 weeks, isn't it?. As for the kid, tell him that life is too short to have it run by imbeciles, but unfortunately it's something that's done. He can either let it control him or waste a perfectly good life. Psychiatric hospital? Bet the parents insisted on that, instead of taking control and helping him through it. Lazy exit's are easy.
    As for the lawyers, well, kill them. As for the parents, don't use the dead lawyers to protect your son forever by teaching him that you can sue your way to happiness. You can't. As for the kids who digitized it, in my school they would never touch any technology there again. It's in our handbook. That's THEIR price to pay.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When people laugh at me, I laugh right along with them because they are probably laughing for a good reason. I tell more jokes about programmers, geeks, and Mac fanatics (me, me, and me) than about any other type of person. I even did my infamous "chicken trying to fly" routine in an airport when a family member dared me to (pre-9/11, thank goodness). Sorry, I'm keeping the only copy of that film under lock and key!

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

good for him; i hope he wins his lawsuit. just because someone does something stupid such as record the video, it doesnt give some guy off the street the right to capitalize on it and morbidly humiliate his victim. Its not fair. Its cruel, and frankly this kid, this "star wars" kid deserves to win his lawsuit just based on the fact that people call him by such a mean name.

Yes you can. You can stop justifying the horrible behavior by these bullies.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

He taped himself at doing this at school, w/school equipment and left the tape there for anyone to find. I wonder if he was also one of the fat kids that blamed McDonald's for making him fat...

Yeah... another stupid lawsuit. Will someone please let me know personal responsiblity<sp?> makes a come back and stupid people stop sueing other people in a attempt to off-set their "pain and suffering" caused by their own stupidity...

This is almost as dumb as the chix who flash in public and then sue the people who post/sell the pix/videos of them flashing.

"The suit suggests that the ordeal may cause Ghyslain to be labeled as "mentally ill," and the stigma could make it difficult for him to enroll in school or get a job, and may force him to change his name."

Oh please... 2 years no one is even going to remember this. Well, sense he's gaining world wide attention *again* by sueing we'll say in 3 years no one will even remember this.

Lethal

15. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

What a baby, boo hoo

I'm thinking about suing the star wars kid myself because I laughed so hard when I saw the video that I feel off my chair and banged my head on the wall. He should take responsibility for leaving the tape around, I hold him solely responsible for my injury! What a crock of cr@p, If only I lived in America !!!!

Seriously though if this kid can't handle that then he does have problems but to blame them on this video is pathetic.
    I also think that people that feel this tape humiliated the kid should spend a week or so with him in the psychiatric ward. Come on, it was just a bit of fun and quite frankly it was funny but I don't see how it was humiliating as he choose to film it.

Why on earth would you ever film yourself doing something that you personally thought would humiliate you?

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There will be far more humiliating experiences in this kids life, if he crumbles under the pressure now and lands in the mental ward, what'll happen when he gets older?

Yes, this **** should be held against him for the rest of his life, especially if it's job related.

This may be a sign that he'll crack in high school and bring a weapon, at a job, or wipe out his moeny losing stock broker.

17. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

how is the video even funny? I have seen it several times, and i dont even think a smile has come across my face; now if you know me offline or on irc/chat you know i am a pretty relaxed guy, but seriously this video, just isn't funny.

maybe i am missing some hidden detail :rolleyes:

18. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Bad Move

I like the second article better.

Man, talk about shooting yourself in the foot. I bet the popularity of the downloads skyrocketed after the suit was announced.

He should of made a sequel- and prequel- and just shrugged the whole thing off.

Squire

19. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Oh, how sad...

boo-fricken-hoo.

Excuse me for being so insensitive, but maybe this kid should realise there are far more important things in life than whether or not someone saw him swing a broom around.

There are MILLIONS of children all over the world suffering, for whatever reason (be it war, famine, human rights abuse, etc.), and would love the opportunity to grow up in a free and relaxed society much like he does - but will never get that chance.

He should've laughed it off, and basked in the limelight of his celebrity status. After all - 15 minutes of fame isn't a great deal of time, and he would've fell into the mist of obscurity eventually, had he left it alone.

I'm sorry, but his problems pale into insignificance compared others, on the grand scale of things.

Maybe his parents should've just told him to wake up to himself and get a life, instead of trying to profit from the whole episode. (Episode IIIa: The Fall Of The Meek, perhaps?)

:rolleyes:

20. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

The only people who are going to win are the lawyers (as a lawyer, I should know).

1. Each side is going to have to fork over a retainer (probably about $5,000 each). This retainer will probably last about a month as the complaint is filed, the answer is given, etc. They'll end up paying about $200-$300 per hour to their lawyers to duke this out. If it goes to trial, expect both sides to pay around $30,000+ each in legal fees. Personally I think this case will/should quietly settle out of court. But it will tramatize all the families involved both mentally and financially. Lawsuits are not fun and should not be brought friviously.

2. Then during the discovery phase, the kid gets further tramatized by having to go through interrogatories and depositions, thus reliving his embarrassing moment in excruiating detail over and over again for days.

3. Because of #2, IMHO I think the parents are doing this as a method of revenge/cash grab. They don't care about the welfare of their kid. If they did, they wouldn't subject him to the rigors of the legal process.

4. AFAIK, this is a Canadian kid right? So I don't think the litigous U.S. should be blamed. BLAME CANADA!

21. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I saw the Star Wars video, and I liked it, especially the enhanced version. Really, I liked it. I thought the kid did a good job.

If the kid is having some issues over it, then the people who posted it should be punished for posting him all over the Internet without his permission. Maybe make them put a public apology all over the Internet, so people can read it.

If the kid wants to sue, maybe he can sue for copyright infringement, since they were posting his works publicly without crediting him, or even asking his permission. Wait, that would be piracy, right?

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

wait...another lawsuit?! :rolleyes:

U know what...I can feel for the kid for the embarassment...but damn...his parents should help him turn this into something positive rather than feed the need to feel like a "victim."

23. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Yeah, but blaming everybody else and grabbing the cash is easier. It's not merely a breakdown of what a parent has become, but it's also a tiny look at how EVERYTHING is breaking down. In the great scheme of things this event shouldn't even be mentioned. What drove it are 3 things: A bad sense of humor (the uncountable dolts who actually laughed at it), the internet (the vast wasteland for those dolts), the media (who will try to feed the dolts what makes them laugh). Call me names, but this event and other stories like it show a fundamental sickness, and somewhere between 1970 and now we lost it.
    Ten million downloads? I suspect the total number of dolts runs about twice that.

24. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

People just don't think about that. The kids family probably has a personal injury attorney that gives them work with no money down. Then any settlement will go to the attorney. :rolleyes:

And all this is going to do is label the family as sue happy. If I lived in their town, and the dad came to me looking for work I certainly wouldn't hire him knowing he has brought frivolous lawsuits in the past. Why risk having him sue me?

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

This whole thing could spark another thread on frivolous lawsuits or how people are so quick to feel "hurt," rather than stand strong...2 pet peeves of mine.

On that note, I really have a HUGE provlem with how people today are so quick to claim injury. What happened to having a sense of humor?!

It seems it's getting harder & harder to see the importance of a good sense of humor.

And, this whole experience...imagine what it'll do for this kid in the future. He made an ass out of himself, the whole world laughed, he & his family could have turned this into a really positive thing. Instead, I'm willing to bet they made a huge deal of it when they all found out; and rather than help the kid to make it a fun thing, they made him feel pathetic & sad and decided to sue. :rolleyes: